Doctor Who Roleplaying Game Regenerates Into A New Edition

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Doctor Who Roleplaying Game Regenerates Into A New Edition

Peter Capaldi's Doctor has landed his Tardis in a new edition of Cubicle 7's Doctor Who Roleplaying Game.

In less than a month, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141509-Doctor-Who-Series-9-Trailer-Has-Peter-Capaldi-Jenna-Coleman-And-Maisie-Wiliams>Doctor Who will kick off its ninth series, bringing <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/peter%20capaldi?os=peter+capaldi>Peter Capaldi back as the latest mad man in a blue box. But television isn't the only place Capaldi's Doctor will appear - he might also show up in your RPG campaign. Tabletop publisher Cubicle 7 has rebranded its long-running Doctor Who Roleplaying Game and released a new edition, one which incorporates the events and characters of Series 8 into your group's time-traveling adventures.

Originally published as Doctor Who: Adventures in Time And Space, this roleplaying game lets players run encounters anywhere in Doctor Who's expansive universe. This new edition includes the complete game rules, premade character sheets for the Twelfth Doctor and his companions, and stats for enemies like Missy, Cybermen, and the Daleks. And just like <a href=http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/126338/Doctor-Who-Adventures-in-Time-and-Space-Limited-Edition-Hardcover-Edition?cPath=179_7946>the limited "Day of the Doctor" edition, this new book is offered as a single volume instead of a player/gamemaster box set.

And if you already purchased one of the Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space editions? No problem! Cubicle 7 will soon offer a free update PDF with the extra rules, characters, and monsters. The new Doctor Who Roleplaying Game is also compatible with all previous supplements, including the First to Ninth Doctor Sourcebooks.

Have played a few games of Doctor Who myself, I'm glad to see the line will continue. It's a great game for Whovians and new RPG players alike: Simple enough to grasp quickly, but complex enough to allow for insane, timey wimey adventures. What's more, players can choose to forgo combat skills at creation and still win solely using intellectual abilities - much like the Doctor himself.

[gallery=4591]

The physical Doctor Who Roleplaying Game is available for preorder, but you can get the PDF <a href=http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/155570/Doctor-Who-Roleplaying-Game?cPath=179_7946>from Drive Thru RPG or for free with the preorder. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to write an entire campaign starring Madame Vastra, Jenny, and Strax.

Source: Cubicle 7

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
This is a hard one.

I like the show and the setting, but I've always leaned away from games that have you playing the characters from the show, especially when one is the focus and the others his/her helpers.

I guess that could work in the hands of a skilled gm who could then play the doctor as an npc and the players a gaggle of companions (which, to an extent, may be any whovians dream played out).

Not for me as a game though, too much on my plate already, but I'm glad that it's made a new edition and kept to the ethos of the show.
Quick and clever wins the day.
and running.
Lots of running.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
At first I thought you guys were talking about an actual video game. Further reading though reveals this to be a tabletop game... Please clarify this next time in the titles. Thanks! :)

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Mikeybb said:
This is a hard one.

I like the show and the setting, but I've always leaned away from games that have you playing the characters from the show, especially when one is the focus and the others his/her helpers.

I guess that could work in the hands of a skilled gm who could then play the doctor as an npc and the players a gaggle of companions (which, to an extent, may be any whovians dream played out).

Not for me as a game though, too much on my plate already, but I'm glad that it's made a new edition and kept to the ethos of the show.
and running.
Lots of running.
Oh, you're not obligated to play any established characters - it has a full creation system to work with. You could create new companions who travel with an NPC Doctor, make a Time Lord crew for a custom Tardis, or even have them fight in a UNIT task-force. (There are a couple of supplements which really help with those last two.)

I've run two games. One was a UNIT adventure where they designed their own soldiers, and the other was a hasty one-off about River and Craig working together to find the Doctor after he went missing. If your GM is creative, there's all kinds of options that don't fall into the Doctor/Companion dynamic.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Fanghawk said:
Mikeybb said:
This is a hard one.

and running.
Lots of running.
Oh, you're not obligated to play any established characters - it has a full creation system to work with. You could create new companions who travel with an NPC Doctor, make a Time Lord crew for a custom Tardis, or even have them fight in a UNIT task-force. (There are a couple of supplements which really help with those last two.)

I've run two games. One was a UNIT adventure where they designed their own soldiers, and the other was a hasty one-off about River and Craig working together to find the Doctor after he went missing. If your GM is creative, there's all kinds of options that don't fall into the Doctor/Companion dynamic.
That's good to hear.
As I said though, too much on my plate already to make room for it.
StarWars and a fantasy setting, but also the occasional chance to play in the wasted west of deadlands and an occasional fantasy setting too.

Also, not too many in my group that are into the doctor.
Just me and another.