Photo Manipulations Give Fallout Creatures Creepy Realism

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Photo Manipulations Give Fallout Creatures Creepy Realism

Fan art makes wasteland wildlife even eerier.

The monstrosities created by nuclear war in Fallout have always been unsettling, but this collection of images created by Russian artist Alfred Khamidullin [http://imgur.com/gallery/CbRD5] really drives that feeling home. Khamidullin has inserted ghouls, deathclaws, and centaurs into photos of ruined building interiors in a manner that makes them appear completely at home.

The photos feature some clever use of shadow and filters to pull off the effect and, if you look carefully, there are a few other nods to the series tucked into them.

[gallery=4594]

You can find more of Khamidullin's work on his DeviantArt page [http://hieronymus7z.deviantart.com/].

Source: imgur [http://imgur.com/gallery/CbRD5]

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I have to say, I really don't think this one's up to snuff. There must be something more impressive to highlight art-wise, so I'm guessing that there weren't many suggestions or submissions. I know I don't have the skills to do any of these, and I don't know what pieces you were able to post with the artist's blessing, but I think you've also missed out the best, which were further down the page or on the linked DeviantArt page:

The Vertibird pictured in your gallery there doesn't appear to be the right size.

How do you normally organize the weekly galleries? Is there a set number that the staff does, or are you more or less left to your own devices?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I've been to one of those creepy abandoned Russian factories.

The one with the centaur is a bit too real. ;___;

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
The deathclaw one was good, though on a second glance the light at it's feet looked a bit off.

Certainly nicely done enough to give me a trained 'oh shit' moment like I'd have had stumbling onto two of those cuddly chaps in the game.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
The deathclaw one looked like a screenshot was literally pasted over a photograph.
Centaur one looked like creepypasta material, though.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
I'm glad those deathclaw pictures were in the list. I didn't want to sleep ever again, anyway.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Beetlebum said:
Aren't they a bit short to be deathclaws?
Hey! It's Mark Hamill in disguise! (We can only hope...)

Ironman126 said:
I'm glad those deathclaw pictures were in the list. I didn't want to sleep ever again, anyway.
Yyyup, I'm insane now. Lost my last sanity points, thanks to Deathclaws. Good work, guys!

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
The last pic made me do a double-take, not at the add-in but the part near the bottom that is just detritus from a crumbling building but at a quick glance looked at first like a pile of bones mixed in with the rocks. I guess the addition of a Deathclaw made my brain render the junk on the floor as previous wastelanders' remains.