Mortal Kombat X Xbox 360 and PS3 Versions Canceled

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Mortal Kombat X Xbox 360 and PS3 Versions Canceled

After over four months of delays, WB gives up the fight for old consoles.

WB Games has cancelled the release of Mortal Kombat X for last gen consoles. In a brief statement [http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Official-Announcements/Announcement-About-Old-Gen-Editions-of-MKX/m-p/750024] on the game's official forums, WB Games community admin Yorick cited quality as the motivating factor behind the decision, saying that the publisher was, "not able to get the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions to the quality expected of a Mortal Kombat game," and apologizing to fans of the series.

Originally planned to release in April alongside PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC releases, the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of Mortal Kombat X were delayed about a month prior to launch. A second delay pushing the game to a Fall release on the older consoles was confirmed in May.

The ports were in development by High Voltage Software, also responsible for the PC release which experienced a troubled launch.

Customers who pre-ordered the game on Xbox 360 or PS3 are being encouraged to request a refund from the retailer where they made their purchase.

Source: Official Forum [http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Official-Announcements/Announcement-About-Old-Gen-Editions-of-MKX/m-p/750024]

Nov 28, 2007
Sucks for anyone who preordered the 360/PS3 versions. That said, I've played a bit of MK X, and watched the cut scenes, and I think cancelling the ports was a lesser of two evils, given just how much they'd have to "dumb down" the engine to make it run at a decent frame rate. Sucks, but judging from the delays, they were trying to make it work, but just couldn't.

Edit: I'm not just talking about graphics needing to be dumbed down. For example, ever single character has a unique intro for each other character. While it might be possible to transfer that sort of detail to the older systems, something would probably have to be sacrificed to do so.

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
thebobmaster said:
For example, ever single character has a unique intro for each other character. While it might be possible to transfer that sort of detail to the older systems, something would probably have to be sacrificed to do so.
That's not how these things work. That detail could literally run on the SNES version if they'd coded it in. No doubt it's some new graphics/particle/destruction engine not playing nice that's to blame.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
thebobmaster said:
Sucks for anyone who preordered the 360/PS3 versions. That said, I've played a bit of MK X, and watched the cut scenes, and I think cancelling the ports was a lesser of two evils, given just how much they'd have to "dumb down" the engine to make it run at a decent frame rate. Sucks, but judging from the delays, they were trying to make it work, but just couldn't.

Edit: I'm not just talking about graphics needing to be dumbed down. For example, ever single character has a unique intro for each other character. While it might be possible to transfer that sort of detail to the older systems, something would probably have to be sacrificed to do so.
Adam Locking said:
thebobmaster said:
For example, ever single character has a unique intro for each other character. While it might be possible to transfer that sort of detail to the older systems, something would probably have to be sacrificed to do so.
That's not how these things work. That detail could literally run on the SNES version if they'd coded it in. No doubt it's some new graphics/particle/destruction engine not playing nice that's to blame.
Might just be the difference of program architectures of X360 and PS3 to x86 of current consoles.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Gah! Now I get to wade through a bunch of especially angry people at work requesting refunds using our most difficult process! Why does this stuff have to happen in my final week at work? :mad:

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
...and now I have to deal with the whiny 12 year olds who are going to be pissed because Mommy and Daddy won't get them an XBONE/PS4. Lovely. Where's my company-issued hip flask?

-a toy store employee

Nov 28, 2007
Adam Locking said:
thebobmaster said:
All right, maybe so. In my ignorance, I may have used an example that technically wasn't as impressive as I thought. My apologies. I was trying to make a point about how it is probably more than just a graphics issue causing problems. I also apologize if I'm coming off as passive-aggressive, as I am being totally sincere with my words.

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
thebobmaster said:
Adam Locking said:
thebobmaster said:
All right, maybe so. In my ignorance, I may have used an example that technically wasn't as impressive as I thought. My apologies. I was trying to make a point about how it is probably more than just a graphics issue causing problems. I also apologize if I'm coming off as passive-aggressive, as I am being totally sincere with my words.
Nah, it's all cool; if anything mine is probably the more passive-aggressive post. I just tend to correct these misconceptions when I see them in hopes of making them less common-place.