Sublevel Zero Preview - Going Down

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Sublevel Zero Preview - Going Down

At a glance, Sublevel Zero is Descent, one of my favorite childhood LAN games, and looking a bit deeper into it, it?s still Descent, and it?s still delightful.

Read Full Article

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Poor form not including a brief description of what exactly Descent was, and by extension any summary whatsoever of what Sublevel Zero actually is, for the benefit of those that came in late.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Encaen said:
As you'd expect, the maps are procedurally generated, so you won't be able to simply memorize areas and spawns to help you succeed.
Thank god. I'm terrible at remembering directions at the best of times, so a game where you're not supposed to be able to remember where you're going is perfect! Important question though - does it use a joystick?

Squilookle said:
Poor form not including a brief description of what exactly Descent was, and by extension any summary whatsoever of what Sublevel Zero actually is, for the benefit of those that came in late.
For those who don't know, Descent is essentially an underground space sim - you fly a spaceship around with full freedom of movement in every direction, except that you're stuck in a bunch of confusing, cramped caves being attacked by insane robots. Freespace 2, one of its sort-of sequels, is generally considered one of the best space sims ever (and actually took place in space, not caves).

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Squilookle said:
Apologies and thanks. I included the gameplay trailer in the post, but you're 100% right that at least a cursory description of what the original was all about should have been included. It's been a long weekend, but i am still responsible for maintaining the excellent standards of the site, and I apologize that I dropped the ball in this case.

Kahani above has offered an accurate, concise description, which boils down to "six-degrees-of-freedom corridor shooter in a spaceship."

Mar 26, 2008
I used to love Descent. Screaming through a corridor and then pulling an inverted dive with a 180 barrel roll in mid-combat really got the blood pumping. Colour me intrigued.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Encaen said:
Squilookle said:
Apologies and thanks. I included the gameplay trailer in the post, but you're 100% right that at least a cursory description of what the original was all about should have been included. It's been a long weekend, but i am still responsible for maintaining the excellent standards of the site, and I apologize that I dropped the ball in this case.

Kahani above has offered an accurate, concise description, which boils down to "six-degrees-of-freedom corridor shooter in a spaceship."
That'll do, that'll do nicely!

Now if only someone could make a game like Innerspace or that one episode of Invader Zim, hey?