Archaeologists Discover "Super Stonehenge," No Sign of Pandorica

PatrickJS

Jun 8, 2015
Archaeologists Discover "Super Stonehenge," No Sign of Pandorica

Researchers, using remote sensing technology, have discovered an enormous buried monument site they are calling a "Super Stonehenge."

First of all, this is definitely not a marketing stunt for Doctor Who - which returns to BBC on September 19th! [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141509-Doctor-Who-Series-9-Trailer-Has-Peter-Capaldi-Jenna-Coleman-And-Maisie-Wiliams] Archaeologists from the University of Branford really have discovered a super-site beneath the British countryside, about two miles from Stonehenge itself, and several times larger than the famous monument.

Underneath the Durrington Walls - already one of the largest known hedge monuments, built in the same time period as its more famous cousin - remote sensing technology has revealed dozens upon dozens more standing stones.

"Our high-resolution ground penetrating radar data has revealed an amazing row of up to 90 standing stones, a number of which have survived after being pushed over, and a massive bank placed over the stones," says Professor Wolfgang Neubauer, who is director of the Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Archaeological Prospection and Virtual Archaeology.

Adds Paul Garwood, "the extraordinary scale, detail and novelty of the evidence produced by the Stonehenge Hidden Landscapes Project, which the new discoveries at Durrington Walls exemplify, is changing fundamentally our understanding of Stonehenge and the world around it." Garwood is an archaeologist [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/archaeology?from_search=1] and lead historian on the project at the University of Birmingham.

"Everything written previously about the Stonehenge landscape and the ancient monuments within it will need to be rewritten." I really hope that doesn't include the finale of my favourite season of Doctor Who [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88429-New-Doctor-Who-Announced] (yes, I fully expect to be bombarded with comments about how wrong I am).

Stonehenge, of course, remains shrouded in mystery - though many convincing theories exist as to its purpose and its construction, a lack of primary sources from the time period means any knowledge we can glean about the monument (if the structure is a monument, at all), is ephemeral. And you know what? Curious though I may be, I think I like it like that.

Source: CNN [http://cnnphilippines.com/world/2015/09/07/New-Superhenge-found-Stonehenge.html]

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
PatrickJS said:
"Everything written previously about the Stonehenge landscape and the ancient monuments within it will need to be rewritten." I really hope that doesn't include the finale of my favourite season of Doctor Who [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88429-New-Doctor-Who-Announced] (yes, I fully expect to be bombarded with comments about how wrong I am).
Well, of course not. That was from the universe before it was rebooted. We're living in the Big Bang 2.0 universe, and that never included the Pandorica because the cracks never existed. Ignore the plot inconsistency that springs from that later.

Oh, and I'll stand by Series five being the best season of the revived Who.

Unfortunately, the Doctor Who references made me forget what this article was abo--oh yeah, "superhenge."

God, people, come up with a better moniker.

The discovery's awesome, though. I hope Spinal Tap writes a song about it.

PatrickJS

Jun 8, 2015
Something Amyss said:
Well, of course not. That was from the universe before it was rebooted. We're living in the Big Bang 2.0 universe, and that never included the Pandorica because the cracks never existed.
Touché!
Something Amyss said:
Oh, and I'll stand by Series five being the best season of the revived Who.
That's the spirit. Rally the troops!

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I came in expecting an Earthbound reference. I guess my esoterica isn't mainstream enough Q_Q

I'm surprised that it took them this long to fond something so close to a site that was so heavily scrutinized for centuries.

Hopefully they never find what is underneath the sphinx...

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Could we get a Big Bang 3 where the companions weren't utterly defeated by sneaky statues? Moffat and his innumerable tropes are one thing but in that season, he introduced the result of excessive time travel i.e. premature aging from spending too much time in other times, then the ginger couple aren't so much killed as they are disposed of. Great, now I'm depressed.

Oh yea more stones discovered. I'm thinking it's a mass pagan cover-up perpetrated by the Catholic church. The stones wouldn't be old enough for natural-occurring erosion to bury them. So when Catholicism forced itself upon most of Europe, most signs of other religions before it were disposed of, the practitioners burned, imprisoned, or otherwise forced to convert. Definitely not the best time to believe in an all-encompassing Earth mother.

PatrickJS

Jun 8, 2015
KoudelkaMorgan said:
I'm surprised that it took them this long to fond something so close to a site that was so heavily scrutinized for centuries.
It's actually to the credit of governments that extensive archaeological digs haven't been undertaken at these sites - many efforts are taken to preserve them, even if it means slowing academia down a little. This latest find was done using some extremely high-tech equipment - nary a spade was lifted

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Oh right, yeah, that ole basement plithe. We just print our gold there when it gets low, by bleeding century old virgin succubuses(succubi?) into the diamond trough.
We try to keep to relevent technologies these days, for public submissiveness.
...You didn't hear that from me though.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
I thought all we had beneath there was Merlin having a snooze on a big rock waiting for Arthur to get his act together.

Oh well.
That's another sensible, logical theory shattered by pesky evidence.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Remus said:
Could we get a Big Bang 3 where the companions weren't utterly defeated by sneaky statues? Moffat and his innumerable tropes are one thing but in that season, he introduced the result of excessive time travel i.e. premature aging from spending too much time in other times, then the ginger couple aren't so much killed as they are disposed of. Great, now I'm depressed.

Oh yea more stones discovered. I'm thinking it's a mass pagan cover-up perpetrated by the Catholic church. The stones wouldn't be old enough for natural-occurring erosion to bury them. So when Catholicism forced itself upon most of Europe, most signs of other religions before it were disposed of, the practitioners burned, imprisoned, or otherwise forced to convert. Definitely not the best time to believe in an all-encompassing Earth mother.

That would be neat trick by the Catholic Church, seeing all these sites were abandoned by the end of the Bronze age 800 years before the birth of Christ. There is also the fact of Celtic Christianity existing in the Britain before the Catholic Church.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Interesting, I wonder if they plan to excavate it and what stories it will tell us. That's really exciting, like finding a new pyramid.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
The Rogue Wolf said:
So, instead of turtles, it's Stonehenges all the way down?
Well played.

OT: This is the site the aliens left behind after they seeded the planet in energon and tried to shape the destiny of mankind, ultimately unaware that some visitors from Cybertron would crash the party.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Something Amyss said:
The discovery's awesome, though. I hope Spinal Tap writes a song about it.
Yeah. This! Something really catchy to tap your inches feet to. Their Black album cover is one of my favorites. So mysterious...like Super Stonehenge. Let's face it. They are all rock stars.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The Rogue Wolf said:
So, instead of turtles, it's Stonehenges all the way down?
The henges are built on turtles.

albino boo said:
That would be neat trick by the Catholic Church, seeing all these sites were abandoned by the end of the Bronze age 800 years before the birth of Christ. There is also the fact of Celtic Christianity existing in the Britain before the Catholic Church.
Well, you see, time travel tends to make a mess of things.

Clankenbeard said:
Yeah. This! Something really catchy to tap your inches feet to. Their Black album cover is one of my favorites. So mysterious...like Super Stonehenge. Let's face it. They are all rock stars.
They're totally neolithic.