Fantasy Flight Confirms, Releases Force Awakens Units For X-Wing

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Fantasy Flight Confirms, Releases Force Awakens Units For X-Wing

Fantasy Flight Games has released a new Core Set for its X-Wing miniatures game featuring fighters from Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

You may recall, back in August, when The Escapist officially unveiled the new Core Set complete with Episode VII units, cards and more.

As hinted in the previous leak, the new starter set will swap out the older era X-Wing and TIE Fighters for the newer versions that will feature in The Force Awakens. The difference between the units will be more than visual. While they've been designed to be similar to their Empire-era counterparts, they'll have their own unique stats, abilities and customization options. The T-70 X-Wing, for instance, will be able to perform the unique Tallon Roll maneuver and take advantage of new customization and pilot cards including BB-8 and Po Dameron. Fantasy Flight is also treating the Resistance and First Order fighters as extensions of the Rebellion and Empire, making them completely compatible with existing squadrons.

The only downside at the moment is that the Force Awakens fighters are only being sold in the new Core Set and aren't available separately. In other words, if you want them you'll have to fork over $40. That being the case, we're willing to bet that, for some die hard X-Wing fans, the price tag might be worth it. Check out the new Force Awakens units for yourself and let us know what you think.
[gallery=4674]

Source: Fantasy Flight Games

Durendal5150

Jan 19, 2014
StewShearer said:
The only downside at the moment is that the Force Awakens fighters are only being sold in the new Core Set and aren't available separately. In other words, if you want them you'll have to fork over $40. That being the case, we're willing to bet that, for some die hard X-Wing fans, the price tag might be worth it.
The cost of the three ships separately at the usual price would be $55. And a set of dice separately goes for I think $8. Most people I know will buy extra core sets instead of two individual TIEs because it works out to be better value. (unless they need the cards from the TIE blister, anyway.) Essentially getting an X-wing $5 off and free dice, extra asteroids, and spare maneuver templates.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Durendal5150 said:
StewShearer said:
The only downside at the moment is that the Force Awakens fighters are only being sold in the new Core Set and aren't available separately. In other words, if you want them you'll have to fork over $40. That being the case, we're willing to bet that, for some die hard X-Wing fans, the price tag might be worth it.
The cost of the three ships separately at the usual price would be $55. And a set of dice separately goes for I think $8. Most people I know will buy extra core sets instead of two individual TIEs because it works out to be better value. (unless they need the cards from the TIE blister, anyway.) Essentially getting an X-wing $5 off and free dice, extra asteroids, and spare maneuver templates.
This is very true. Even with it being a better value though, I know that it's still personally easier for me to justify spending $15 at a time as opposed to plopping down $40. It's stupid and doesn't make logical sense, but I'm betting I'm not the only one who thinks that way. ;)

Durendal5150

Jan 19, 2014
StewShearer said:
This is very true. Even with it being a better value though, I know that it's still personally easier for me to justify spending $15 at a time as opposed to plopping down $40. It's stupid and doesn't make logical sense, but I'm betting I'm not the only one who thinks that way. ;)
I can definitely see that. On the other hand, the core set is inevitably going to come with different unit cards and upgrades than the blisters, so the completionists among us are doomed to buy both eventually anyway.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Durendal5150 said:
StewShearer said:
I can definitely see that. On the other hand, the core set is inevitably going to come with different unit cards and upgrades than the blisters, so the completionists among us are doomed to buy both eventually anyway.
They've got us by the Death Stars. :)

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
I really have to question whoever is in charge Imperial TIE program. It's been 30 freaking years and they're *still* just using an upgraded variant of the original TIE fighter? That thing was a deathtrap, and only kind of viable until the Rebels went and stole the X-wing right out from under the Empire's nose. Why they didn't discontinue every other line besides the TIE interceptor *while* phasing in the Defender is beyond me.

You're telling me a bunch of wookie-loving anarchists living in hiding can keep manufacturing X-wings, A-wings, B-wings and the like, but the people who made *two* Death Stars, something like half a dozen Super-class Star Destroyers (and The Force knows how many regular ones) can't mass-produce a comparable space-superiority fighter?

Why doesn't the Empire just make its own X-wings? They had to have captured at least one of them somewhere, at some time, in the last 30 years. I know I'm beating a bit of a dead horse by pointing out the military incompetence of the Empire, but jeez. Lol.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
It's a nice set, then again most of the X-wing stuff from ffg is.

I was seriously hoping they had something to announce for the EotE,AoR and F&D crowd too, but nothing so far.

rcs619 said:
I really have to question whoever is in charge Imperial TIE program. It's been 30 freaking years and they're *still* just using an upgraded variant of the original TIE fighter? That thing was a deathtrap, and only kind of viable until the Rebels went and stole the X-wing right out from under the Empire's nose. Why they didn't discontinue every other line besides the TIE interceptor *while* phasing in the Defender is beyond me.

You're telling me a bunch of wookie-loving anarchists living in hiding can keep manufacturing X-wings, A-wings, B-wings and the like, but the people who made *two* Death Stars, something like half a dozen Super-class Star Destroyers (and The Force knows how many regular ones) can't mass-produce a comparable space-superiority fighter?

Why doesn't the Empire just make its own X-wings? They had to have captured at least one of them somewhere, at some time, in the last 30 years. I know I'm beating a bit of a dead horse by pointing out the military incompetence of the Empire, but jeez. Lol.
Mass production.
Empire always had numbers over the alliance.
They can carry and launch more Tie Fighters and overwhelm the enemy.

I was hoping we'd see something like the interceptor, advanced or the defender zooming about in the new movie.
Maybe they're trying to hold onto the classic look, showing they're staying true to the great old originals, then in the next movie they'll break out some of the more sleek and threatening looking Tie Fighter models.

Captain Phasma has her own variant of the fighter too that's a little more souped up from what I've seen...