Star Wars: Episode VIII Starts Filming This Month

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Star Wars: Episode VIII Starts Filming This Month

Lucasfilm is in Ireland and will start filming Star Wars: Episode VIII this month.

With Star Wars: The Force Awakens coming out this December and the stand-alone flick Star Wars: Rogue One in the works for 2016, you'd think that Disney and Lucasfilm might have their hands full. That being said, reports have surfaced confirming that, not only are the studios moving forward with more Star Wars films, they'll actually be doing it this month.

According to the aforementioned reports, Lucasfilm intends to begin filming Star Wars: Episode VIII sometime this month in Ireland. Initially, these reports indicated that the studio might be returning to the Irish island Skellig Michael to do re-shoots for The Force Awakens in the run up to its December release. Hoping to clear up any misconceptions however, the studio quickly corrected them by revealing that it was, in fact, in Ireland preparing to film sequences for <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136937-Rian-Johnson-Says-that-Star-Wars-Episode-VII-is-Using-More-Practical-Sets-Than-the-Prequel-Trilogy>Star Wars: Episode VIII. VIII will be directed <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135574-Loopers-Rian-Johnson-Will-Write-Direct-Star-Wars-Episode-VIII>by Rian Johnson and is scheduled for a 2017 release.

Honestly, while it might seem amazing to think that they're already diving into the production of the next film, it actually makes a lot of sense when you really think about. Episode VII might have been filmed in only <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133534-Star-Wars-VII-Has-A-Finished-Script-And-Is-Already-Filming>about a year, but Lucasfilm likely needs more time now that it has spin-offs in the pipeline alongside the main films. Long story short, they probably just have too much on their plates to finish the movie quickly while still doing a good job.

Source: <a href=http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/09/star-wars-force-awakens-will-undergo-reshoots-ireland>Entertainment Weekly

Indy_no

Mar 30, 2010
ritchards said:
StewShearer said:
Star Wars: Episode VII Starts Filming This Month
...psst, you might want to recount that title...
My first thought was: "What? How's that possible when it's coming out in just a few months? There's got to be something wrong here..." And then I open the article and it's all about VIII, and that made a bit more sense than VII.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Part of me thinks this is horribly arrogant considering VII isn't even out yet.

But then I remember that it's Star Wars and what's more, it's Disney.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Sigmund Av Volsung said:

I was thinking something similar. But, then again, they did pay around $4 billion for the rights; that's not the kind of momentum they're going to just call off, even if VII is a total botch. Chances are they will still make money on VIII, even if VII is terrible; it's only a question of whether it will be "record-breaking blockbuster" levels of income, or merely "blockbuster" levels.

Still, I would be a hair concerned to be moving on VIII before any sort of feedback on the prior entry came in. I'm glad it's not my reputation on the line in that job.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Sigmund Av Volsung said:

It's got nothing to do with any of that. This is how planned projects are made. It was designed as a trilogy (I think) so it's natural to have a schedule. Look back at The Lord of the Rings. Fellowship - 2001, Two Towers - 2002 and The Return of the King - 2003. It's one thing to plan a sequel and another to pull one out of your ass only after you see how much money you've made.

Chefsbrian

Jun 25, 2012
This gives me a slightly higher hope for this. Clearly, they are committed to the trilogy, which means they (should) have actually done a good job setting up all three, and hinting to things as it'll go.

While my optimism is still cautious, I'm ticking this off in the "Probably good thing" Field.

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
Sigmund Av Volsung said:

It's got nothing to do with any of that. This is how planned projects are made. It was designed as a trilogy (I think) so it's natural to have a schedule. Look back at The Lord of the Rings. Fellowship - 2001, Two Towers - 2002 and The Return of the King - 2003. It's one thing to plan a sequel and another to pull one out of your ass only after you see how much money you've made.
The entirety of the Lord of the Rings was filmed before the first movie was released.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Will this be the one they kill of Luke or will it be Leia? My bet is they'll wait to kill off Luke in Ep 9.