Inside the Lost 1980s Dungeons & Dragons Movie Gary Gygax Loved

docetist

Sep 10, 2015
Inside the Lost 1980s Dungeons & Dragons Movie Gary Gygax Loved

Old-school D&D fans will remember further back than Warner Brothers' recent movie plans: To when TSR touted plans to release a D&D film penned by an Academy Award winning screenwriter.

Read Full Article

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
It...doesn't sound great. Maybe if they got Jim Henson to do it up like Labyrinth it could have worked.
Even then, it would have had to be carried on the strength of the effects, not the script.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
If I may be honest, I lost interest when I got to the part about a normal person somehow ending up in the D&D world. I hate it when movies try to fuse a fantasy genre cough He-Man cough with the real world.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
it would have been awesome if Lucas had directed this instead of howard the duck ... but then willow might not have been awesome as it was. Jim Henson would have also been a good choice after he made labyrinth in 1986

fractal_butterfly

Sep 4, 2010
So... basically "The Gamers" did a better job at creating an appropriate Dungeons & Dragons movie. Or Astropia. Or Journey Quest.
I hope that Mr. Gygax had the chance to watch any of them before passing away, and that he had a good laugh.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
008Zulu said:
If I may be honest, I lost interest when I got to the part about a normal person somehow ending up in the D&D world. I hate it when movies try to fuse a fantasy genre cough He-Man cough with the real world.
Yeah, gotta agree here. And it doesn't help that everything that happens after they enter the fantasy world sounds dreadfully boring. Also, OneLord is an AWFUL name for anything. Pretty glad this didn't get made really, at least the Jeremy Irons version was hilarious.

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
Love Gygax to death but when it comes to the fluff of settings and creating actual drama he was never much good. This script just shows a complete lack of understanding of what makes a good story, much less a D&D adventure.

Rpground

Aug 9, 2009
That...sounds dreadful.

If you do a D&D movie it should at least stay in the universe and not try and bring the real world into it. It ruins immersion. Not to mention you should actually have a party that does things for themselves, otherwise there is no suspense if the hand of god can just wave his hand and make all the bad things go away.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
MDSnowman said:
Love Gygax to death but when it comes to the fluff of settings and creating actual drama he was never much good. This script just shows a complete lack of understanding of what makes a good story, much less a D&D adventure.
This. Anyone who played his old modules can confirm this very painfully.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
THe first time, I think, that I'm glad to see a script that wasn't optioned. No offense to Gygax but it sucks badly!