The Name of the Wind is Becoming Reality, One Board Game at a Time

PatrickJS

Jun 8, 2015
The Name of the Wind is Becoming Reality, One Board Game at a Time

"Some expert mathematicians and strategy game players are already trying to break this game," announces the website. "So far, it's held up pretty well." Still, gamers of all types are welcome to try it for themselves, and report back. The rules will leave beta in February of 2016, and a Kickstarter campaign will follow.

Pairs, meanwhile, is really taking off [http://hippocketgames.com/pairs]. A variety of themed decks exist and appeal to any number of players - Fruits; Barmaids; Pirates. Even that one man penny dreadful, <a href="http://www.professorelemental.com/
">the marvelous, the eccentric, Professor Elemental, has a deck devoted to his steampunk hip-hoppery.

Similarly, The Witcher's Gwent is developing a life of its own [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141155-The-Witcher-3s-Gwent-Recreated-in-Tabletop-Simulator#&gid=gallery_4259&pid=1] outside the video game.

Oh, and that third silence I mentioned? Well, it was not an easy thing to notice. It was in the furrowed brow of a man at the table. The board game was his, just as the third silence was his. It was deep and wide as a game of Mage Knight. It was heavy as Arkham Horror. It was the grumbling, cut-it-out sound of a man who is about to lose. For, like, the sixth time in a row.

Source: Cheapass Games [http://cheapass.com/games/tak]

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Partnered with Rothfuss? Ohhh, now he'll have another reason to not write The Door Of Stone! Pah!

Nah but in all seriousness this sounds pretty cool. I'd love to give it a go.

PatrickJS

Jun 8, 2015
Cowabungaa said:
Partnered with Rothfuss? Ohhh, now he'll have another reason to not write The Door Of Stone! Pah!
I'm wondering if the third book will include yet another game. "So you see, Kvothe, the goal of Faemon is to capture each of them, so to speak..."

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
PatrickJS said:
Cowabungaa said:
I'm wondering if the third book will include yet another game. "So you see, Kvothe, the goal of Faemon is to capture each of them, so to speak..."
Oh God I hope not. Not that I'd dislike it, but Rothfuss has so many plotlines to wrap up in one book there'd be barely any room for 'filler' like that. It's why I really hope he'll wise up and turn his planned trilogy into a quadrilogy. Doors Of Stone would have to have a breakneck speed or be humongous to somewhat satisfyingly resolve everything.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Cowabungaa said:
Rothfuss is the new Martin - becomes famous through a series of epic fantasy books, stops giving 2 shits about it, goes off to do everything else and can't be arsed to finish what he started and what got him to where he is in the first place... :p

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
Pallindromemordnillap said:
Still waiting on someone to give me a real life Thud board game then...
That already exists. Has for a few years now.

Jandau said:
Rothfuss is the new Martin - becomes famous through a series of epic fantasy books, stops giving 2 shits about it, goes off to do everything else and can't be arsed to finish what he started and what got him to where he is in the first place... :p
Not to mention the physical resemblance.

(although GRRM had already been a successful writer before ASOIAF, I think Rothfuss only had that one story he got a prize for years ago before writing TNOTW...)

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Although this sort of thing is amusing, I do hope Rothfuss is hard at work on the third book.

I also hope that the third book is much less of a garbled mess of a read than the second one- there were some cool moments, admittedly, but lengths of fairy-queen frolicking and getting beat-up by children in a ninja-feminist society really began to annoy me.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Read through the rules; a few things about it remind me of Dvonn (from the Gipf project) which I love. The connecting across the board win condition does kind of remind me of Punct, also.

Looks good, would like to try it. :)

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Alright? Neat I guess? Not that much of a board game guy.

I really like the books for the sympathy mechanics as magical physics. It makes sense, follows it's own rules, and is used in creative ways. I wish more stories did this.