Second Fallout 4 Educational Video Explains Perception

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Second Fallout 4 Educational Video Explains Perception

Vault-Tec cares about your safety.

A second installment in a Vault-Tec educational video series promoting Fallout 4 has been released by Bethesda. Covering the Perception ability and its function in the game, the video presents another series of whimsical wasteland scenarios. This follows the video covering Strength [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142351-Fallout-4-Education-Video-Series-Tells-You-Why-Youre-S-P-E-C-I-A-L] released last week.

Perception governs a player's abilities in ranged combat when using the Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System (VATS), improving the accuracy of attacks. The statistic also affects the character's stealthiness and skill in pickpocketing, with the video suggesting some of the more amusing advanced uses of the skill, such as stealing an enemy's ammunition to pacify them or adding a live grenade to their inventory.

Fallout 4 will release for PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One November 10.

Source: YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw21X2jKwCM]

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Unless I'm mistaken, Perception didn't affect gun accuracy in the last game - that was Agility, wasn't it? Interesting to see taste being included among the senses there - does anyone know about cooking mechanics in this game yet?

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
So, Perception affects all my sneaky-beaky stuff now and not agility? Guess that's going to 10!

Only 8 more weeks!

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Huh, from Fallout I was expecting just that bit more subversive humor.
Long distance relationship was funny, but that was just 1 short instant.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
Kenjitsuka said:
Huh, from Fallout I was expecting just that bit more subversive humor.
"Lowest common" I'm afraid. What you or I would find funny, would probably fly over the new target demographic.

Jan 12, 2012
Barbas said:
Unless I'm mistaken, Perception didn't affect gun accuracy in the last game - that was Agility, wasn't it?
Yes, Agility used to be the big one for all weapons; in 1 and 2 Perception gave you range modifiers, but I don't think it's done anything in the last couple but help you spot enemies.

OT: Did anyone get age-gated trying to watch it on Youtube? It took me by surprise, considering that the violence level between this one and the Strength one are comparable, and that one was not gated.

Also, does anyone know what the creature at 0:52 is? It looks too fat to be a Deathclaw.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Did anyone get age-gated trying to watch it on Youtube? It took me by surprise, considering that the violence level between this one and the Strength one are comparable, and that one was not gated.

Also, does anyone know what the creature at 0:52 is? It looks too fat to be a Deathclaw.
Thanks for the info!

That's rather odd, I've never seen an age gate on YouTube before. I've never seen anything like that beast either. Looks like they just put in a dinosaur as a joke.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Barbas said:
Unless I'm mistaken, Perception didn't affect gun accuracy in the last game - that was Agility, wasn't it? Interesting to see taste being included among the senses there - does anyone know about cooking mechanics in this game yet?
I think it was Perception for energy weapons and Agility for ballistic ones

Jan 12, 2012
Aeshi said:
Barbas said:
I think it was Perception for energy weapons and Agility for ballistic ones
You're right, my bad; Perception is the key skill for Energy Weapons in 3 and NV, though Agility used to cover it.

SadisticFire

Oct 1, 2012
Barbas said:
Probably not. Atleast nothing behind New Vegas's system. Taste has always been included in Besethda's fallouts as a description in perception, so don't get your hopes up.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Barbas said:
Unless I'm mistaken, Perception didn't affect gun accuracy in the last game - that was Agility, wasn't it?
Yes, Agility used to be the big one for all weapons; in 1 and 2 Perception gave you range modifiers, but I don't think it's done anything in the last couple but help you spot enemies.
Actually it was neither. Agility only effected how many Action Points you had for VATS. Accuracy was based on your skill with the weapon type. It'd be nice if they had Perception effect accuracy though, as it was basically a garbage stat in 3/NV.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well...

And there you have it. It was just there for funsies.