Netflix's Movie Catalogue Is About to Get a *Lot* Smaller

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Netflix's Movie Catalogue Is About to Get a *Lot* Smaller

Netflix's contract with Epix expires at the end of the month, meaning the last chance to catch some of your favorite flicks is rapidly approaching.

While most of us know Epix simply as a hybrid premium cable and satellite television network headquartered in New York City (No, I didn't rip that description straight from Wikipedia. Why do you ask?), it turns out that their video on demand service actually holds ownership in Lionsgate, MGM and Paramount Pictures. And for the past few years, Epix has also been one of the biggest providers of movies to Netflix's arsenal.

That is, until the end of the month, when Netflix's contract with Epix will expire and see the streaming service drop hundreds of well-known titles from its catalogue.

World War Z, The Hunger Games, Wolf of Wall Street, and the entire Rocky series (among others)...all gone in the blink of an eye.

But according to their Chief Content Officer, Ted Sarandos, Netflix losing hundreds upon hundreds of movies from their movie streaming service is not that big of a deal, because most of these movies are already available on "other platforms."

"While many of these movies are popular, they are widely available on cable and other subscription platforms at the same time they are on Netflix and subject to the same drawn out licensing periods." said Sarandos in an interview with BBC.

Following up in a blog post, Sarandos wrote, "We know some of you will be disappointed by the expiration of the Epix movies. Our goal is to provide great movies and TV series for all tastes that are only available on Netflix. We're confident you'll enjoy our ever-improving catalogue."

With Netflix focusing their efforts more and more on original content like this year's Narcos and the upcoming Beasts of No Nation, it isn't exactly shocking to learn that they aren't as willing to pay top dollar for movies they have been streaming for upwards of a year. Netflix did, however, reportedly pay Epix $1 billion in licensing fees for the now-deceased deal, which allowed for Epix titles to hit Netflix 90 days after premiering on the premium cable network. Let's hope they got their money's worth.

But fret not, for hope is not entirely lost for those of us hoping to see Leonardo Dicaprio blow cocaine up a stripper's butt without having to go to a Redbox. As it turns out, the titles being dropped from Netflix will actually be transferred over to Hulu, the *other* streaming movie and TV service, starting on October 1st. So as long as you already have one of those accounts as well, all will be hunky-dory.

Still though, it's decisions like this that make you understand Netflix's ever-falling company stock, which dropped 2.25% last year alone. Also unfortunate for Netflix is the news that Hulu will be expanding its offline-viewing capabilities for Amazon Prime (who are also tied into the Epix deal) members to access movies and TV shows on Apple iOS and Android devices.

"By creating a network-first, true TV Everywhere experience, consumers can now download a movie from our library and watch it anywhere, anytime, even without a Wi-Fi connection," said Epix president and CEO, Mark Greenberg.

So basically, you can now watch Friday the 13th while on a camping trip, or Airplane! while waiting at the airport, all for the same price as a Netflix subscription. "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue," said Netflix CEO Reed Hastings in an exclusive follow-up interview with The Escapist that never actually happened.

Source: Variety [http://variety.com/2015/digital/news/epix-offline-mobile-movie-viewing-netflix-1201593890/]

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
So translation, "Uhhh a bunch of major movies are going away but don't worry guys...PR catchphrase!"

I still use netflix but more and more it's focus on original content is really starting to piss me off, I'm fine with it existing and alot of it is really good but when it starts causing stuff like this to happen I will start getting angry...if it keeps up I guess I'll go over to Hulu, since they seem to know what they are doing, while Netflix are dropping shows Hulu is picking them up, I'm not at that point yet since I still prefer Netflix's UI but they are really walking on eggshells now

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Well... I guess I'll see what Netflix has left after the end of the month, and if it is worth continuing to pay for. It'll be a shame if it isn't worth it, since I watch quite a few things on there by using rabb.it.

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
now you'll know how it feels to be a UK netflix customer.

Xeorm

Apr 13, 2010
thewatergamer said:
So translation, "Uhhh a bunch of major movies are going away but don't worry guys...PR catchphrase!"

I still use netflix but more and more it's focus on original content is really starting to piss me off, I'm fine with it existing and alot of it is really good but when it starts causing stuff like this to happen I will start getting angry...if it keeps up I guess I'll go over to Hulu, since they seem to know what they are doing, while Netflix are dropping shows Hulu is picking them up, I'm not at that point yet since I still prefer Netflix's UI but they are really walking on eggshells now
I wouldn't call it a PR catchphrase, but more an actual mission statement. Rather than focusing on selling quick and cheap streaming for old movies and tv shows that made them so much money, they're going to focus on producing original content like every other cable network.

And surprise! That's not making much money, because the cable networks already do that better than Netflix. Hulu's loving this though I'm sure. They at least know what their niche is. Reminds me of Syfy, actually.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Isn't the digital era grand? I mean, what's the point anymore in having physical copies of our entertainment when we can just go online and hope some studio conflict hasn't gotten dozens of movies removed watch it?

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
Meh, I will still do a Netflix Hulu Amazon combo over paying for cable. Its still cheaper (in my area at least) and I choose when I want to watch stuff.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
-Ezio- said:
now you'll know how it feels to be a UK netflix customer.
As a Canadian Netflix user I concur, time the Yankees feel the pinch the rest of us have.

Though then again, I guess it's not all bad up here since Disney made a deal where all its movies are on the service 8 months after theatrical release, though I'm not 100% sure about weather that applies to their subsidiaries like Marvel or Lucasfilm. I know Iron Man 1 is on the service, but that's Paramount's, and it's the only MCU movie up at the moment.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Will see what happen but might push me to cancel and returning to paying for crunchyroll instead for a while, got a year of anime worth of anime on my backlog anyway.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Xeorm said:
thewatergamer said:

I wouldn't call it a PR catchphrase, but more an actual mission statement. Rather than focusing on selling quick and cheap streaming for old movies and tv shows that made them so much money, they're going to focus on producing original content like every other cable network.

And surprise! That's not making much money, because the cable networks already do that better than Netflix. Hulu's loving this though I'm sure. They at least know what their niche is. Reminds me of Syfy, actually.
Yeah PR catchphrase probably isn't the right word for it, though as you pointed out, this "business" strategy is failing cable networks even though they (arguably) have better shows, I'll wait until the end of the month, but if it's not worth it, I'll take my business elsewhere, maybe I'll get Hulu, they seem to understand what their customers want

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Physical media is dead? HA!

Not so long as the so called future of films and TV shows is streaming services which only have access to content for a short time.

How is this any different than waiting for a repeat on TV when the streaming service of your choice may lose the content you want?

Dreph

Jun 27, 2015
JaredJones said:
"I guess I picked the wrong day to quit sniffing glue," said Netflix CEO Reed Hastings in an exclusive follow-up interview with The Escapist that never actually happened.
Sorry I know you are trying to make a joke, but it comes off badly. The rest of the article was fine, but ending on this note makes the entire thing seem unprofessional. Feel free to make jokes, but quoting someone who you didn't actually talk to just strikes me as tacky, even if you mention you never talked to him.

Of course everything above was my personal opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
That's too bad, but I'm just catching up with shows at the moment and many movies I care about I've already watched so. No large loss for me, but it's too bad for others.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
So these companies don't like money? because I don't rent movies anymore, and I don't pay for any sort of cable service, nor do I go to the movies.

Jan 12, 2012
Xeorm said:

It's giving me flashbacks to a lot of the early social media stuff like Digg; the came first, built up a business before anyone really knew they could make money there, then became so enamoured with 'moving forward' and 'being innovative' that they didn't notice the opposition creeping up behind them, picking up all the customers that were getting dropped in the rush to do something new.

I'm too old to leave my cable behind, and I'm not going to pay for more than one streaming service when I've still got a shelf of movies; time to go re-evaluate the market and see whether Netflix is still the best option.

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Sorry I know you are trying to make a joke, but it comes off badly. The rest of the article was fine, but ending on this note makes the entire thing seem unprofessional. Feel free to make jokes, but quoting someone who you didn't actually talk to just strikes me as tacky, even if you mention you never talked to him.

Of course everything above was my personal opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.
You get that that joke was an Airplane! reference, right? As in the movie mentioned in the line the preceded it. I can't see anyone confusing that with something Hastings actually said, but in either case, duly noted. This is probably one of the most level-headed criticisms I have ever received. Cheers.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
The problem with this is that Hulu sucks. Blocking your views if you're running Adblock, and their Plus plan doesn't even get rid of the ads. I tried watching Stargate SG-1 on my sister's Hulu Plus account, but couldn't because of the stupid, unskippable ads that I assumed would be removed SINCE I'M PAYING FOR THE SERVICE. (To clarify: I was thinking of getting my own account, so I tried out my sister's for a while) Ads are there to make money off of free users, not to mooch more money off of people who are already paying for it.

The damn point to paying for a streaming service is so that you don't have to deal with ads. If Netflix is losing a huge chunk of their content to fund shows that I probably won't watch anyway, what's the point of paying for it?

Am I going to be made to start my own streaming service? With blackjack and hookers?

nickpy

Oct 9, 2010
Frankly, Netflix has always been a pretty awful service in the UK. They're forever dropping content (even the little they had in the first place), their UI is utter rubbish making it absolutely impossible to browse for new things to watch - the only practical way to watch stuff on Netflix is to know the name of the thing you want to watch, search for it, and oh! nope. They don't have it anyway. To top it all off, they're push for original content... I've yet to come across a single one of their original contents that was actually any good.

Way to go Netflix.
- Rubbish UI
- Poor selection
- Poor quality inhouse content

Right now, the ONLY thing stopping me from cancelling them is that I'm still watching my Red Dwarf Marathon (and even thats an indulgence since I do actually own the entire DVD set, its just in the wrong county right now)