The League of Legends Skills Newbies Must Learn to Succeed

Kevin Cobban

Sep 18, 2015
The League of Legends Skills Newbies Must Learn to Succeed

With 126 champions, over 100 items, dozens of runes, and mastery points, diving into League of Legends can be a daunting task for new players.

Read Full Article

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I love how the image in the "Map Awareness" section is for Howling Abyss...the ARAM map...a map that requires none of the tips for better map awareness that are listed in the section. :p

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
You forgot positioning. It's really important to know where your champion needs to stand in a team fight.

You're adc or a non-tanky support? Don't put yourself in the middle of the melee. You're a tank? You need to be in the front lines! You're a mage? Just keep a safe distance so you can nuke or cc the enemy team.

Also, learn to communicate and when to team up.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
@Frappe: Smart-Casting is definitely important, but new players should probably leave it off when getting used to a new champion. I myself find it difficult to judge the ranges of skillshots when smart-casting is activated with abilities I haven't really practiced using yet. Of course, this varies from champion to champion and how their abilities work. With some, like Ryze, it's pretty easy to learn since you spam Q so much and just have to let her rip most of the time.

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
RJ 17 said:
I love how the image in the "Map Awareness" section is for Howling Abyss...the ARAM map...a map that requires none of the tips for better map awareness that are listed in the section. :p
As the editor, and the person who put the picture there, that's my personal joke.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
I don't understand lasthitting as an in-universe concept.
Like why do you even get awarded for killing minions if you dealt the last 1 point of damage but if you do all the legwork and remove 99% health from one and then something else kills it, you get nothing?
How does that make sense?

It's kinda weird how pushing minions just for the tactical advantage of pushing to the tower became this metageme of "farming" and "lasthitting" that completely dominates the game now because grinding is... fun?
Is it?
The gameplay is obnoxious, repetetive, abstract and the enemies make sure to keep slapping your neck every step of the way to make it even more of a pain yet this is 80% of what you do in league and pretty much all other mobas.

It's just nonsensical in the context of what's going on in the game universe and decisively anti-fun as a gameplay mechanic so why is this basically the one thing that caught on to the point of being a genre-defining feature?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
JonB said:
RJ 17 said:
As the editor, and the person who put the picture there, that's my personal joke.
Heh, yeah, I wasn't trying to trash the article or anything because it really is a good one with very valid points for new players to consider in order to up their game. I just thought it was silly that, as I mentioned, that particular map requires no map awareness.

Incidentally ARAM is actually my favorite mode seeing as how who wins and loses is more determined by the RNG of the game creating the teams than how your teammates and opponents play.

That said, I do think some champs should be banned from ARAM...like Blitzcrank. Every time he Q's his team gets a kill. Yeah, that's fair. :p

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
EDIT: Not mandatory, but forgot to mention this.
If you want a 30% chance increase at win-rates, I highly advise you install Curse [http://beta.cursevoice.com/games/league] and communicate with people. It was built for LoL, free, lag free and seriously helps people win more games because of talking about warnings, plans, and getting things done faster than typing things out which takes a lot of time. Pings can only take you so far when chatting on the mic gets more done.
Well, someone's shilling out for that...Haven't really had anything all that great come from using Curse, even back when it was broken when it first released and gave you enemy timers and camp respawn times. It was nice to have, but once you get high enough, people know what you mean by pings for the most part. And for new players...it's just sorta another distraction.

Personally, the biggest thing in MOBAs is just to be consistent and that decision making is something like 80% of the game, the rest just being mechanics. Though this percentage can change based on the character and how you're doing in the game. You don't climb or win by doing well, you climb and win by doing well at least 50% of the time.

Don't chase a kill too long when you've got a wave hitting their tower, chances are you can get it for free and that gives both gold for the entire team, and it makes the game that much easier to finish. Don't go for a neutral camp if you get more by grouping with your team. If you're getting screwed by range or just being outraded, stay back and just take the melee minions, and if possible, never let a cannon go by, as it nets you something like 2-and-a-half melees in gold.

But if anyone wants to get better at any particular game in the genre, pick three characters that exemplify the main mechanics of the game. Play Ezreal, Nunu, and I'd say Jayce for LoL. Ez for his skillshots and juggling act to use him perfectly with his passive for max dps while building minimal attack speed, Nunu for how simple it is to use him, and he sorta shifts through like four playstyles throughout most games, with jungle superiority early on(you're not going to kill him, his base defense stats are some of the most insane in the game in addition to being an early game terror due to his slow and attack speed debuff while having the exact same thing that instead buffs himself), to just being a fat tank that protects the backline and becomes a multiplier for his team's damage lategame, and Jayce for getting the idea of combos down in addition to learning more decision making(melee for mana here or just clear the wave with ranged E-Q?). Also all of these characters have been somewhat consistent throughout their existence, so there's not a huge chance of them being nerfed to their deaths anytime soon while also never being broken outside of sometime in 2012 for Ez and Jayce, and the start of this year with Nunu(but that was more due to itemization being broken on them at the time).

Also, most importantly, READ WHAT YOUR ABILITIES DO. And if it's your first time playing for I'd say at least a week, go with your gut and look at the character splashes, they'll probably give you an idea of what they do and you can probably sweep by with your gut telling you the Rule of Cool for you because you'll be put with either smurfs, which will go away after a bit, or other newbies.

As for other advice, just ignore and immediately mute someone that starts being a dick, it'll save alot of headaches, but don't get too personal about it, some people are abrasive because they wanna win and can be sorta assholish in giving good advice.

FliedLiverAttack

Nov 29, 2013
Another tip as a new player you will most likely notice that you have a rune page where you can place stat boosting runes that you get for ip in the store. You may be tempted to get some. Don't. It's just a waste of time until you hit summoner level twenty and it is after september 29th(when they discount these runes) and get 9 armor seals, 9 glyphs of magic resist, 9 marks of magic resistance pen, 9 marks of armor pen, 9 quints of ap, and 9 quints of AD. All of the greater variety. Put mr, armor, magic pen and ap in one page, and mr, armor, armor pen ad in another. These two pages of runes together will benefit every champ you play decently if not optimally.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
I'll admit, I've been playing for 3 Seasons now...and still don't use Smartcast. Have almost gotten to Gold, but no Smart Cast.

soufiria

Jan 24, 2014
Fat_Hippo said:
@Frappe: Smart-Casting is definitely important, but new players should probably leave it off when getting used to a new champion. I myself find it difficult to judge the ranges of skillshots when smart-casting is activated with abilities I haven't really practiced using yet. Of course, this varies from champion to champion and how their abilities work. With some, like Ryze, it's pretty easy to learn since you spam Q so much and just have to let her rip most of the time.
You can actually enable smart-cast so the abilities activate when you let go of the keys rather than as soon as you press them. So long as you hold the key down, you'll be able to see the abilities range indicator. Granted, with some abilities it can be a little deceiving(such as Ahri's Q or Zyra's E extending a bit past the range indicator). I can see how someone might argue this to be worse, but it's also great in some cases as it allows you to prepare the ability, see where it's going to hit, then release as soon as they're in range rather than having to take an educated guess. Abilities that don't have a range indicator(such as self-buffs) will of course activate as soon as you press them like usual, and some like Sona's abilities I believe activate as soon as you press them as well despite having a certain range to what they will effect, even without any kind of smart-casting on.

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
I'm extremely disappointed that "knowing when to chase and when to back off" isn't on this list. Not warding and poor item optimization are bad, but chasing after a low health enemy into enemy territory is probably one of the leading reasons why teams lose games at lower ranks and levels. Being greedy is extremely bad, and your absence from an important teamfight can be the deciding factor in a game. People seem to forget that kills aren't the most important thing in MOBAs - objectives are. Instead of chasing after an enemy at the risk of being ambushed, regroup with your team and destroy a turret or something.

Feb 28, 2008
RJ 17 said:
That said, I do think some champs should be banned from ARAM...like Blitzcrank. Every time he Q's his team gets a kill. Yeah, that's fair. :p
Positioning = key. Just stay away from the brushes and behind minions when out in the open, and always be aware of Blitzcrank. Less excuse being hit by his Q than by Nidalee's in that mode ...

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
MasterOfHisOwnDomain said:
Positioning = key. Just stay away from the brushes and behind minions when out in the open, and always be aware of Blitzcrank. Less excuse being hit by his Q than by Nidalee's in that mode ...
Oh I'm fully aware of that. It only took me a game or two to learn my lesson. Can't say the same thing for the other four on my team in any given game, though. :p

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Obviously good positioning should have been in the guide somewhere but good positioning is something you learn for yourself, somebody telling you what is and is not bad positioning only gets you so far. I mean for a really over the top example, walking into the back of the entire enemy team 1v5 can be a good thing if you're a crazy fed assassin/bruiser in Bronze. The other 99% of the time it's a totally bad idea though.

Also you should probably not play some of the more mechanically intensive characters until you're familiar with the game. I mean I can't imagine someone who just picked up League instalocking Kalista would go very well. I see people standing still in fights just autoattacking away with her in post 30 games all the time, nevermind new players. Just click to the side. Just a bit. You built maximum attack speed, you don't even need to care about dropping a jump or two.

Feel free to play Yasuo though, as much as I love him and as much as he's basically all I play now until something else interesting happens in the meta (juggernaughts don't count, that entire thing right now is stupid as fuck) watching a bad Yasuo attempt to make plays is just the funniest thing in League since Release Azir's infinite wall crush juggle bug.