Mighty No. 9 Developers Address Delayed Demo

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Mighty No. 9 Developers Address Delayed Demo

"Comcept and all of our partners are working hard to get the demo ready and in our backers' hands as soon as possible."

The release for Mighty No. 9, the another project [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9] from Comcept, Red Ash: The Indelible Legend, closed without meeting its funding.

A demo that was meant to launch on September 15, the game's release date prior to the delay, was also quietly delayed by the developer, with the news seemingly buried in an unrelated update [http://www.mightyno9.com/en/20150915] to the Mighty No. 9 website. At the end of the post, which outlined the game's robot design contest, Comcept stated that the demo would be delayed due to distribution issues.

The demo was intended to satisfy frustrated backers following the delay of the game itself, and was going to be made available exclusively through Steam to contributors for a limited time.

The developers have now addressed [http://www.mightyno9.com/en/20150916] the cause for the delay of the demo. An update on the game's website states that "although the demo had been finished and was ready to go, we ran into some very last-minute and unexpected complications with distributing the demo exclusively to all our backers through Steam. We've also been listening to your feedback about preferring to have a demo that is not time-limited. Given the complications with giving you the demo, we came to the conclusion that it would be better to make the demo DRM-free without any time restrictions."

"Comcept and all of our partners are working hard to get the demo ready and in our backers' hands as soon as possible."

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
For a Kickstarter campaign that is, I believe, actually going to eventually deliver the product that it was introduced to create, Comcept is still providing a remarkable exemplar of how this kind of thing should not be done.

John Markley

Jun 29, 2015
Uggh. There's been a lot of really good kickstarted games, it's a pity that some of the most high-profile projects have been so poorly handled.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
I am calling BS right now. The delay, the hopeful Q1 2016 launch (not the use of the word hopeful). I'm calling BS. This delay on the demo was in-excuseable. Me thinks they're stallinmg and the fact that this all seems to have started with Red Ash not meeting it's kickstarter goal... well.. I wonder.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
MonsterCrit said:
I am calling BS right now. The delay, the hopeful Q1 2016 launch (not the use of the word hopeful). I'm calling BS. This delay on the demo was in-excuseable. Me thinks they're stallinmg and the fact that this all seems to have started with Red Ash not meeting it's kickstarter goal... well.. I wonder.
Nah, it didn't start with Red Ash, the game was supposed to be out in April of this year originally, and it got pushed back around October-January(I forget exactly when).

But I'm not really surprised, it took them a month and a half to update their Steam page(it's not on Steam not paying attention as some people have said, it's their page, they have access to it) for the latest pushback. And they've just continually dropped the ball, from their failure of a community manager that wasn't well liked by the community before she got the job, to the lack of communication by Inafune for months, to the ignoring of people demanding refunds. Just so many screw-ups that had such simple solutions. And now this, with the demo not being put through the proper channels I'm guessing and hiding the news away in a different section of their site...

On the bright side, whatever happens, they should serve as an example of how NOT to do a crowd-funded game for aspiring indies.

Edit: Captcha was "turning point"...

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Whatever mistakes they've made, if they deliver on a game that's fun to play than it'll basically be a success. Remember, we're charting new waters here. Game development is at the most open it has ever been and people are still trying to figure out how to operate in such a transparent world. The mistakes made today are simply the growing pains of a new industry that's still in the process of growing and maturing.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Kajin said:
Whatever mistakes they've made, if they deliver on a game that's fun to play than it'll basically be a success. Remember, we're charting new waters here. Game development is at the most open it has ever been and people are still trying to figure out how to operate in such a transparent world. The mistakes made today are simply the growing pains of a new industry that's still in the process of growing and maturing.
The thing is, these are not a few minor mistakes, these are consistent mistakes that could easily have been avoided by anyone with exposure of some sort on the dev team reassuring the backers or not putting up an announcement on their site that isn't a week overdue because every news site tells everyone before they do. I'm not going to say they are fully responsible, but you'd think Inafune and a portion of the money they put into dev vlogs would maybe go to at least one person that could put out the fires...

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Redryhno said:
Kajin said:
The thing is, these are not a few minor mistakes, these are consistent mistakes that could easily have been avoided by anyone with exposure of some sort on the dev team reassuring the backers or not putting up an announcement on their site that isn't a week overdue because every news site tells everyone before they do. I'm not going to say they are fully responsible, but you'd think Inafune and a portion of the money they put into dev vlogs would maybe go to at least one person that could put out the fires...
My guess would be a lot of shame and a fair amount of inexperience. Comcept is a new studio created from people that left Capcom, right? Might be the first time they've had to manage things on their own without a bunch of suits looking over them/taking care of the other details and that, combined with the shame of not being everything they'd hoped they could be right out of the gate, is what lead to the situation as it has presented itself now.

Then again I only know cursory amounts of information about the company. I don't know jack beyond the fact that Keiji Inafune left Capcom to make this game, it has been delayed, and Capcom are a bunch of assholes regardless. I could be VERY wrong about my assumptions (other than Capcom being assholes, of course. That's a given).

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
I am so glad that I didn't back this kickstarter as I would be getting a refund at this point.

Just like the GTAV PC version, too many arbitrary delays cause me to not care about the game anymore until it is actually released.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Kajin said:
Redryhno said:
Kajin said:
My guess would be a lot of shame and a fair amount of inexperience. Comcept is a new studio created from people that left Capcom, right? Might be the first time they've had to manage things on their own without a bunch of suits looking over them/taking care of the other details and that, combined with the shame of not being everything they'd hoped they could be right out of the gate, is what lead to the situation as it has presented itself now.

Then again I only know cursory amounts of information about the company. I don't know jack beyond the fact that Keiji Inafune left Capcom to make this game, it has been delayed, and Capcom are a bunch of assholes regardless. I could be VERY wrong about my assumptions (other than Capcom being assholes, of course. That's a given).
I think this demonstrates that a lot these 'famous' developers can't function without some suits to keep their asses to the fire. We saw the exact same thing with Tim Schaffer.

I used to think really negatively of publishers and a lot of the seemingly BS antics they pulled, but with the behavior we've seen from a lot of indies lately both on the development side and the social interaction side, I'm growing more accepting of them as a necessary evil to create a greater good.

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
I'm just hoping we won't see the same crap with Igarashis Castlevania-successor. What was it called? Blood-something?