Kakariko Village is Stunning in Unreal Engine 4

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015

Things just got...unreal.

There's been a recent trend of re-imagining Nintendo characters and franchises in Unreal Engine 4 environments. While they've certainly been pretty, Nintendo IPs tend to have a unique charm that doesn't translate well into hyper-realistic makeovers.

A new video from YouTuber ArtistArtorias [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi5UpPaPjwDxkyeMWtaKrKQ] is a brilliant change to this, as he reproduces Kakariko Village from Nintendo's N64 classic The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, with young Link as our guide.

Despite the glaring lack of NPCs and Cuccos it's a great attempt, adding just the right amount of realism without stripping the magic from the scene.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
It's really nice but I wish the camera wobble wasn't there. It feels weird to have the camera wobble for movement when you have a 3rd person perspective.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Lizzy Finnegan said:

Things just got...unreal.

There's been a recent trend of re-imagining Nintendo characters and franchises in Unreal Engine 4 environments. While they've certainly been pretty, Nintendo IPs tend to have a unique charm that doesn't translate well into hyper-realistic makeovers.

A new video from YouTuber ArtistArtorias [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi5UpPaPjwDxkyeMWtaKrKQ] is a brilliant change to this, as he reproduces Kakariko Village from Nintendo's N64 classic The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, with young Link as our guide.

Despite the glaring lack of NPCs and Cuccos it's a great attempt, adding just the right amount of realism without stripping the magic from the scene.

Now I wish they remake Twilight Princess with that quality of graphics. Hyrule Field in that game would look even more pretty if it had foliage :)

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
This camera is nauseating, to say the least. I wasn't able to make it through the entire video.

P.S. Thanks

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
Kakariko Village looks absolutely stunning in this.. I was moved to tears.

Nintendo should seriously consider hiring this guy.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Camera wobble didn't really bother me. I was too distracted by the beautiful art!

KayeFaye

Jul 28, 2015
Yes, yes, that's nice and all but can we please have a developer actually USE this fucking engine? I've been wanting to see a big studio use the engine for AGES. So far the best looking, full game we've gotten out of it is DAYLIGHT and that's... not saying much. I know Gears of War 4 is coming out soon though, and I could really care less for GoW but it is kinda cool someones actually using it...

Grumpy Ginger

Jul 9, 2012
Reminds me of the original fable for some reason. Oddly enough the simplified nature of the original graphics made it a bit more believable as being a representation of a village. With the new detail it made it a bit more obvious that it would support less people than your typical suburban street.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I must be in the minority, because it looks like any other unstylized 3D game town to me

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
Nurb said:
I must be in the minority, because it looks like any other unstylized 3D game town to me
I'd have to agree with this.

The assets have no real aesthetic to them other than being generically high resolution, but they're not even especially well defined. It uses the same proportions as the original geometry, and doesn't really add much physical definition, just relying on basic texture-work and shaders.

Add into it small touches that make the place feel less alive(lack of NPCs non-withstanding) like no walkways through the grass as well as unnecessary post processing like that awful motion blur, and it ends out just being drab.

Not to say it can't be worked on further to be amazing, but where it's at now is lacking.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
KayeFaye said:
Yes, yes, that's nice and all but can we please have a developer actually USE this fucking engine? I've been wanting to see a big studio use the engine for AGES. So far the best looking, full game we've gotten out of it is DAYLIGHT and that's... not saying much. I know Gears of War 4 is coming out soon though, and I could really care less for GoW but it is kinda cool someones actually using it...
Unreal Tournament 4 [https://www.unrealtournament.com]

It's in "pre-alpha" right now but at its current stage it actually feels like a beta and plays better and funner than most pay-for early access games, funnily enough. Bugs seem to be few and far between, if you encounter them at all, and it's only going to keep getting better and better.

Oh and it's all and will be completely for free. No monthly sub. No Fee-to-Pay system. Just free.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
all this does is remind me of why the Unreal Engine's proliferation was a terrible idea and how it's only worth a damn when it's heavily modified (like with Guilty Gear Xrd). The little we've seen of the Wii U Zelda blows this out of the water and atmosphere.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
It's alright...

Looks... Pretty, I guess.

But honestly, Nintendo themselves have done a lot more with much less. Realism isn't always the best choice.
Funny how you can get the UT4 dev kit for free under certain conditions...
Crytek as well, but they put up more restrictions and barrier.

And unity of course, but they restrict your options quite a bit if you don't pay them...

Thing about all these engines, as impressive as any of them might be on a technical level, the games created with them often seem to look kinda 'samey'.
Hard to put a finger on it exactly, but it's like each engine has it's own specific signatures that make the games look similar even if the devs making any given game don't intend that.

Guess there must be a lot of built-in functionality that isn't worth replacing that gets used by pretty much everybody.
Which... I guess is kind of the point, but it's still...
I don't quite know how to put it exactly...

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
There's something very, very off with this. I can't place it. Maybe the motion blur? Maybe the original low res graphics complimented the art style and pulled it together into something iconic. Or maybe I'm blinded by nostalgia.