8 Things You Might Not Know About Nintendo

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Things You Might Not Know About Nintendo

Today is Nintendo's birthday, and we've got eight interesting facts you might not know about the video game giant.

Read Full Article

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
These are pretty damn good. Quite the delightfully odd company. It's inspiring that those employees caught the eye of their attentive bosses and went on to great success.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Nintendo should get back in to Love Hotels.
I'm sure catering to a Nintendo Fetish would make serious cash.

ghalleon0915

Feb 23, 2014
That " Donkey Kong " thing is pretty cool, and I didn't know that they actually got sued with relation to King Kong. Interesting stuff. And....I have a janitor to thank for the numerous Game & watch handhelds I had? My parents would prolly curse his name...although those things were a lot of fun.

Also, perhaps they should get back into those Love Hotels; I mean, if people are willing to pay money just to cuddle with a stranger.....

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
ghalleon0915 said:
That " Donkey Kong " thing is pretty cool, and I didn't know that they actually got sued with relation to King Kong. Interesting stuff. And....I have a janitor to thank for the numerous Game & watch handhelds I had? My parents would prolly curse his name...although those things were a lot of fun.

Also, perhaps they should get back into those Love Hotels; I mean, if people are willing to pay money just to cuddle with a stranger.....
In Japan love hotels are also used by married couples a lot as apartment walls are thin and making to much noise at night can get you evicted.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I knew everything except for the Donkey Kong Boat thing, but I did know about the Nintendo v. Universal Lawsuit.

Happy Birthday Nintendo!

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Wow, that's all really interesting. I actually knew about some of these already, but it's still fascinating otherwise.

Happy birthday, Nintendo!

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
I am quite happy that Reggie is responsible for the bigfoot pizza, because it means he's also partly responsible for this masterpiece:
Dutch tilt out the wazoo. Thanks, camera techniques of the 90's!

Also what kinda ************ wants 6 toppings on a pizza.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Callate said:
And, of course, this Kirby

is named for the Kirby in #5.
Neat, I always thought he was named after the vacuum cleaner company, considering his signature ability in the first game. Guess it was just a coincidence.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Dango said:
Also what kinda ************ wants 6 toppings on a pizza.
I routinely order the 'supreme', which, according to Dominos in Australia has 9 toppings... >_>
Then again, they appear to count cheese as a topping, amongst other things. XD

6 isn't even that many really.

OT: Yeah, I didn't know about the sailing boat, or what Reggie used to do. But... Most of this list? Yeah.
Makes Nintendo the oldest company in the game console business. Ironic isn't it.
(Microsoft being the youngest. Go figure. XD)

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Callate said:
And, of course, this Kirby

is named for the Kirby in #5.
Johnny Novgorod said:
I thought that would come up in #6, nice to confirm it.
I looked all over trying to confirm this so I could include it, but it turns out that it's more coincidence than anything. In fact, I ended up finding a Game Informer interview with Miyamoto where he says that the character wasn't named after him, although Kirby the lawyer was thought of at the time.

Brief pull from that link (emphasis mine):

Yes, it is a fact that I met John Kirby and got to know him when he was defending us during the lawsuit against Universal. And it is a fact that the Kirby name was partially chosen in connection to him, but it wasn't named after him. Instead, we had a list of names that we were looking at and Kirby was one of the names on the list. As we were going through the list and narrowing down the selections we saw that Kirby was there and we thought John Kirby's name is Kirby, and started thinking that if those two had a connection that would be kind of funny.

The other element to the naming is that the character is very cute. Kirby is this soft and fluffy character and he's very cute. In Japan, for cute characters they use very soft names with soft sounds in them. I thought the name Kirby had these harsh sounds to it, and I thought the juxtaposition of this cute character with this harsh-sounding name was very funny.