Warhammer Age of Sigmar Review - A Stepping Stone to What?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
As I understand it, you don't have to have everything from the same faction, you can stick whatever you want in your army, just certain things give bonuses to other thing from the same faction and so on.

Lodur

May 28, 2014
Warhammer Age of Sigmar Review - A Stepping Stone to What?

This is not just another edition of the game, but a brand new incarnation. It's not that great.

Read Full Article

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Nothing I've heard about Age Of Sigmarines has attracted me to it at all. I really think it's a poor man's 40k now except it doesn't even have the fun setting going for it because they murdered their original setting of the Old World...

Also FUCK what they did to Slannesh in the fluf...

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Yeah its been pretty much a disaster at my local store. No one 'likes' it. Some play it, simply so they don't feel bad about the hundreds of dollars worth of armies they bought into Fantasy. Had a couple of guys rage quit the hobby.
But the few Fantasy matches anyone plays anymore just seem to be the old editions. Age of Sigmar, from what I've seen, had failed to get even one new person invested in the hobby.

Aug 31, 2012
Third Edition 'til death! DEEEEEEAAAAATH!!!! You can have my Warhammer Siege when you pry it from my cold dead hands! WAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!

OT: They could have at least included some sort of points system for balance, just left out the army list/force org type stuff.

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
Zykon TheLich said:
Third Edition 'til death! DEEEEEEAAAAATH!!!! You can have my Warhammer Siege when you pry it from my cold dead hands! WAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!

OT: They could have at least included some sort of points system for balance, just left out the army list/force org type stuff.
Yeah, the complete abandonment of the points system seems a very odd decision to me, and seems it would be a source of a bunch of conflict as two players may have differing opinions of the strength of a particular unit to make something a "fair fight."

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Out of curiousity, has anyone's WHF groups taken to playing Kings of War with their old WHF models as proxies, or have any groups outright switched? How are the Kings of War rules?

The kings of War people are running a kickstarter for rules that look like they'll make better WH40k proxies but I'm not familiar enough with Mantic to know how well they rulecraft.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
vallorn said:
Q: How do we attract new and young players?
A: Kill off the Chaos God of violent orgies.

I will pray to Slaanesh that this Age of Sigmar, or whatever, is just a means to get new players, and that Warhammer Fantasy is going to be launching 9th edition in a few months.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
008Zulu said:
vallorn said:
Q: How do we attract new and young players?
A: Kill off the Chaos God of violent orgies.

I will pray to Slaanesh that this Age of Sigmar, or whatever, is just a means to get new players, and that Warhammer Fantasy is going to be launching 9th edition in a few months.
To be fair they did remove the naked daemonettes in previous editions so there's a possibility that they were trying to get moms and dads to strop frowning at the hobby. But still, Slannesh is one of the most fun deities to muck about with as a faction because he's Excess in general. It doesn't have to be sex or violence or anything, just so long as it's Excess then the Dark Prince is pleased.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Gennadios said:
Out of curiousity, has anyone's WHF groups taken to playing Kings of War with their old WHF models as proxies, or have any groups outright switched? How are the Kings of War rules?

The kings of War people are running a kickstarter for rules that look like they'll make better WH40k proxies but I'm not familiar enough with Mantic to know how well they rulecraft.
I've played with the rules, and Kings of War is fun, if a bit simplistic. Honestly, Kings of War is Age of Sigmar's goal done right: simplify the complex rules so they're easy to understand. It's important to not compare it to WHFB though because it is a different system. For instance, you buy units in set pieces (i.e. 5, 10, 20, 40) instead of per soldier. You also don't remove individual soldiers but accumulate damage that increases the chance of that unit routing. Games as such are much quicker and streamlined than Fantasy at a cost of complexity (i.e. there's only 8 spells for everyone, armies have a rule from the special rules rather than a unique one, no unique artifacts for factions). I know I'm making it sound bad but it isn't. And since WHFB has left the building, it's kind of the only game left in town.

Plus, they have nuns riding panthers. No I'm not making that up. Nun riding panthers. Awesome.

kris40k said:
Zykon TheLich said:

Yeah, the complete abandonment of the points system seems a very odd decision to me, and seems it would be a source of a bunch of conflict as two players may have differing opinions of the strength of a particular unit to make something a "fair fight."
But points get in the way of fun! And fun is all that matters! (I'm not joking they said this). But even if you don't like our rules, GW then doesn't consider your mingy litter body to be a customer then! (No seriously, they actually said this.)

OT: Nothing rules wise is fun with Age of Sigmar. It's a confusing mess despite being only 4 pages long; is far too easy to break, has relied on 4 $75 books for scenarios despite it being an "entry level game (all of which has yet to sell out their special edition despite making only 1000 of them), is over-costly on models ($50 for 5 models, seriously?). The only good thing is that the model quality is there but even then there are design flaws I could whine about for hours on.

Then again, GW considers anyone who doesn't suck their filth with gleeful joy a non-customer (once again I'm serious) and refuses to do any research (actual quote "research is otiose in a niche"). No wonder smaller companies have been rising faster than anything else. I shudder to think what happens when they Sigmar-fy 40k (they still plan on doing that, btw).

Aug 31, 2012
kris40k said:
It really does. Even in Rogue Trader where the basic ethos seemed to be 'here's a load of cool sci-fi shit, have fun', there was a page where they said 'oh, by the way, if you want to have a fair fight, here are some points values'.

According to the reviewer the game out of the box is pretty well balanced so it won't be so much of a problem for new players, but as soon as they want to expand their armies it's going to cause problems. If they're aiming at a younger audience then they need rules to ensure fair play even more than before, in general kids suck at being fair. I get the impression the plan is to release these boxed sets that are balanced between each other and internally and phase out the old stuff over time, they've just kept the old bits in for a bit to stop a literal march on Nottingham with pitchforks and burning torches.

xaszatm said:
But even if you don't like our rules, GW then doesn't consider your mingy litter body to be a customer then! (No seriously, they actually said this.)
You're paraphrasing there right...right?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
vallorn said:
To be fair they did remove the naked daemonettes in previous editions so there's a possibility that they were trying to get moms and dads to strop frowning at the hobby.
Eh, they keep on changing them to clothed and back to half naked when they update the models. Since they only do that every so often, there's always some half naked (Morathi and harpies at the moment) and some not.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Zykon TheLich said:
xaszatm said:
But even if you don't like our rules, GW then doesn't consider your mingy litter body to be a customer then! (No seriously, they actually said this.)
You're paraphrasing there right...right?
Here is a quote from the article

GW said:
The company's attitude towards customers is as clinical as its attitude towards staff. If you don't like what it's selling. You're not a customer.
The arrogance of GW is remarkable. Which is why so many smaller games have gobbled up so much of their fanbase.

Here's the source page: http://www.iii.co.uk/news-opinion/richard-beddard/games-workshop-agm%3A-relentless-profit-machine

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
Yeah. We took a look at the rules a few months back when they came out and were like: interesting, but why. Yes, 8th was a pile of shit, with horde rules and magic basically destroying all what was good about the game. However, they really went too far with these rules. There's some supremely stupid bullshit in the rules (you're able to win basically all your battles by taking a single base which is able to burrow).

Furthermore: I think they really destroyed the uniqueness of each army by putting more focus on models, instead of point values as the main balancing factor: now, chaos warriors and skaven units have to be roughly in the same ball park.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
thaluikhain said:
vallorn said:
To be fair they did remove the naked daemonettes in previous editions so there's a possibility that they were trying to get moms and dads to strop frowning at the hobby.
Eh, they keep on changing them to clothed and back to half naked when they update the models. Since they only do that every so often, there's always some half naked (Morathi and harpies at the moment) and some not.
I think those are only left because they're quite old models, at least 15 years I think. I remember back when I started and the Daemonettes were still with their ta-tas out, it was quite exhilarating for an 11 year old.

OT: It's a pile of shit, and I hope the backlash against it will be strong enough to sustain a base of players of the good old stuff. I haven't heard a single good thing about it. The upcoming Total Warhammer game will only add insult to injury when players see the rich world and think "Hey, maybe the real thing might be interesting". Then they'll actually see what abomination has replaced the decades-long history of a beloved fantasy world, and immediately lose interest. GW's contempt for their audience will never cease to astound me. 8th edition might have killed Warhammer sales because of the outrageous amounts of models needed to play, but they couldn't scale that down, oh no! It always has to be flashier, bigger, pricier. Doesn't matter if the game's a pile of shitwaffles, the CASH MUST FLOW! Whenever I see people complaining about video game companies, I think of GW and think in my head "My sweet summer children, what do you know of true hate?"

Aug 31, 2012
xaszatm said:
Here is a quote from the article

GW said:
The company's attitude towards customers is as clinical as its attitude towards staff. If you don't like what it's selling. You're not a customer.
The arrogance of GW is remarkable. Which is why so many smaller games have gobbled up so much of their fanbase.

Here's the source page: http://www.iii.co.uk/news-opinion/richard-beddard/games-workshop-agm%3A-relentless-profit-machine
Yeah, that I'm not surprised at, I was just checking that wasn't a direct quote.