Minecraft For Oculus Rift Officially Announced

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Minecraft For Oculus Rift Officially Announced

A year and a half after Notch's infamous hissy-fit where he cancelled a Rift version of Minecraft, it has officially been revived.

One of the biggest stories of 2014 was the announcement that Minecraft's new owner Microsoft [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133231-Facebook-is-Buying-Oculus-VR-for-2-Billion-Update-4] seem to have put the past behind them, and announced an official Oculus version of the game.

"We're thrilled to announce Minecraft for the Rift!" wrote the official $2.5bn [https://twitter.com/oculus/status/647103412576718848?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw] would make a lot of people change their opinions...

Notch's initial vision for an Oculus edition of Minecraft would have been a free version of the phenomenally successful build anything sandbox designed to promote virtual reality. We're not sure if that is still the case, but have reached out to Microsoft and Oculus to confirm.

We should have more details on the game in the coming weeks.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-09-25-minecraft-finally-digs-into-virtual-reality-with-oculus-rift-support]

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I like how the most suitable image for this article was apparently a screenshot from an early alpha version of the game.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Jesus Christ, people are still on about that? It was NOT a "hissy-fit". Notch did not like Facebook. He did not like their business practices. He had ethical concerns about working with a company he found disreputable and he canceled the deal. It irks me considerably that people ragged on him for not wanting to be associated with the Scum of the Earth that is Facebook. It irked me then and it still irks me now. It needs to stop.

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
While this is oversimplifying, I loved how Notch's big reason for pulling Minecraft from Oculus (when FB bought them) was "I don't like big faceless corporations".
Then he sells his game and company to a big faceless corporation and runs away to Beverly Hills or some such.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Kajin said:
Jesus Christ, people are still on about that? It was NOT a "hissy-fit". Notch did not like Facebook. He did not like their business practices. He had ethical concerns about working with a company he found disreputable and he canceled the deal. It irks me considerably that people ragged on him for not wanting to be associated with the Scum of the Earth that is Facebook. It irked me then and it still irks me now. It needs to stop.
I get the feeling it was more out of a sense of poor form; even when a contract or deal is at will or loosely held together, breaking it can usually be turned into a negative hit to image.

And good thing it's coming back, so that I can smile wistfully and think of all the children with goggles on their heads, falling out of their chairs and running into walls. The way God intended.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
silver wolf009 said:
I get the feeling it was more out of a sense of poor form; even when a contract or deal is at will or loosely held together, breaking it can usually be turned into a negative hit to image.
If a business you were in negotiations with to do something you didn't really even need them to do got bought out by a goose stepping swastika tattooed nazi sympathizer, I think most people would be somewhat wary of actually going through with the deal. Maybe even try to back out if the deal had already been finalized. Facebook isn't as bad as a skinhead (though I imagine some people would gladly debate that point), but I wouldn't say I'd hold them in good grace either.

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
Siesta45 said:
TristanBelmont said:
While this is oversimplifying, I loved how Notch's big reason for pulling Minecraft from Oculus (when FB bought them) was "I don't like big faceless corporations".
Then he sells his game and company to a big faceless corporation and runs away to Beverly Hills or some such.
No, he left Mojang to Jeb and the remaining team sold out immediately. He never did. Stop talking out your ass.
Jeb became Creative Director, or some such. Notch was still with the company. He was still the owner.

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
Siesta45 said:
TristanBelmont said:
Siesta45 said:
TristanBelmont said:
No, he left Mojang to Jeb and the remaining team sold out immediately. He never did. Stop talking out your ass.
Jeb became Creative Director, or some such. Notch was still with the company. He was still the owner.
Incorrect, he quit the company and then it sold the very same day.
Okay so he's still the one who sold it out to MS. He's a mostly great guy but he still did this.