Armikrog Review - Hilarious, Dated, and Hilariously Dated

MyLifeIsAnRPG

Jan 20, 2011
Armikrog Review - Hilarious, Dated, and Hilariously Dated

Armikrog is the furthest thing from cinematic, and might be jarring to anyone who isn?t used to the unforgiving adventure games of the 90s.

Read Full Article

Mothhive

Apr 2, 2010
The "negative" parts of the review actually make me more excited to play it. I understand why adventure games felt the need to update their mechanics and become more accesible over the years, but to me, something was lost along the way. I backed the game because I wanted another Neverhood, and it sounds like that's what I'm getting. Can't wait! :)

Darth Marsden

Sep 12, 2008
I believe Tommy keeps his inventory items in his stomach - did you try clicking on HIM to access his inventory?

Celador

Oct 26, 2009
"Dated mechanics" is one of the lesser problem of this game.

Most of the players beat it in less than 4 hours. It took me less than 5 hours to beat it myself. I've encountered numerous bugs - from broken doors, to disappearing music and sounds, to getting stuck on transitions. Not to mention the inability to change language.

I did not recognize voice actors either. The intro music was almost incomprehensible and voice acting felt generally lifeless... though now that i think about it i guess it was the point?

Overall the game doesn't even come close to Neverhood in length or difficulty. I hadn't had a single issue with puzzles and didn't have to use "brute force" at all - the game literally has 4 puzzles which are repeated 4 times. Get the lever, switch on the power, open the door, remember the symbols. Rinse and repeat.

There also appears to be a removed segment of the game, not to mention soft cliffhanger ending (DLC or sequels incoming?).

The game does look nice but the low difficulty and shortness, as well as bugs (they delayed the release twice to "fix" them, remember?) just ruin the experience. Might as well just buy any TellTale game or Life is Strange instead of this.

I can only imagine how kickstarter backers feel at this point.

Darth Marsden said:
I believe Tommy keeps his inventory items in his stomach - did you try clicking on HIM to access his inventory?
There is no inventory or UI. In fact - you have to make screenshots or remember the symbols you encounter. Just how "old" adventure games done it.