8 of the Best Driving Games of all Time

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 of the Best Driving Games of all Time

There have been a lot of driving games over the years, and these eight are some of the best.

Read Full Article

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
I'd replace that off road game with Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed because that was a great racer whereas racing games with top-down view are... well, pretty much all terrible. Yes, it includes that one. Yes, I do mean THAT one.

Also, that screenshot really doesn't do Underground 2 justice. Surprised it got picked instead of Most Wanted, but not going to debate it since it's pretty much my favorite pseudo-realistic racer of all time.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
wipEout never gets a mention on these kinds of lists. Which is a shame.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Fun list, really tries to grab the whole spectrum of driving games, but the genre is that big now and covers everything from Mario Kart up to crazy physics engines like in iRacing and Assetto Corsa. And when you use the term "driving game" that means not just racing games, so would something like Twisted Metal and Carmageddon be considered? Tough call, and kudos for the effort in this list!

My vote for the Need for Speed slot would go to Carbon though, that was my favorite but probably a minority opinion compared to Most Wanted and Underground 2.

I remember playing that Off Road game on PC, I hated the arcade version because although it was the coolest looking box for the longest time, the steering was so fiddly. Loved it so much, even though I played it mostly in 4 colors...

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
I was always more a fan of Midnight Club 3 than the Need for Speed games on the Xbox. Not only did it look better, but it also let me drive tuners, muscle cars, luxury cars, sport motorcycles, and choppers.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
RealRT said:
Surprised it got picked instead of Most Wanted, but not going to debate it since it's pretty much my favorite pseudo-realistic racer of all time.
I'll debate it for you, then: Most Wanted was better than Underground 2. Even with the more limited customisation, it meant that you could just mod your car and go rather than having to spend 20 minutes on getting the exact width perfect, and the free-roaming police chases are nothing short of sublime.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
leet_x1337 said:
RealRT said:
Surprised it got picked instead of Most Wanted, but not going to debate it since it's pretty much my favorite pseudo-realistic racer of all time.
I'll debate it for you, then: Most Wanted was better than Underground 2. Even with the more limited customisation, it meant that you could just mod your car and go rather than having to spend 20 minutes on getting the exact width perfect, and the free-roaming police chases are nothing short of sublime.
Could you elaborate on "getting the exact width perfect"? I've played NFSU2 hundreds of hours over the years and that's not something I've ever done. There was that performance fine-tuning, but who the hell ever went there if all they wanted was a cool car to race with?

Itsuki93

Mar 16, 2015
I'd put Grid on the list but I'm not sure which game I would take off, probably Pole Position. Burnout 3 or Paradise would also have been good but I will admit Revenge was a very fun and solid game.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
09philj said:
wipEout never gets a mention on these kinds of lists. Which is a shame.
Neither does Flatout. Or Flatout 2. And those are equally shameful.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
FZERO, because that game... oh my. Sometimes I didn't know whether to embed my controller in the TV permanently or cheer wildly after beating Captain Falcon's ass in a near perfect run...

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Forza Motorsport 4

The Forza series has always been strong, and Forza Motorsport 4 is likely the best of that bunch. It wowed gamers with its visual upgrades and added the much appreciated Autovista mode. More importantly, players could now customize the livery of every car, and then use those customized cars to race against their friends.
Is that "now" really necessary, or even appropriate?

Players have been able to customise the liveries of their cars and race them against friends since the first Forza Motorsport on the original Xbox in 2005.

6 years, 3 games and 1 generation later makes the "now" aspect of that statement seem a bit redundant to say the least... like reviewing The Witcher 3 and saying "More importantly, players can now wield swords, drink potions and fight monsters".

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Why oh why did criterion stop the burnout series? They were fun! I was enjoying them immensely. Need for speed was never an upgrade, they will never convince me of this. Not until it actually is.

Breywood

Jun 22, 2011
I have to contest NSFU2. In spite of NFSU2 having better visuals and more aftermarket crap, the soundtrack, characters and the maps were definitely better in NFSU. Cindy Johnson was fantastic as the "best friend who made you smile while she was putting you down." Brooke Burke might have been better eye candy, but Samantha was much more memorable. The open world, however does make it a contender for its predecessor.

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
I'm just going to say it, and I get the gut feeling this is going to be an unpopular as hell opinion, but I'm going to post it anyway.

Seeing Need For Speed Underground 2 on this list instead of NFS Hot Pursuit 2 almost makes me wish this list didn't exist.

No, seriously.

Call me nostalgic, call me a snob or a hipster, whatever. I'd rather be driving a Ferrari 550 Barchetta Pinifarina through the Redwood Forests of California than drive a Honda Civic through city streets.

Better yet would be to put "Red Barchetta" on the radio while I drive. Or "I Can't Drive 55". Either works.

Just get that urban punk rap "music" the [DATA EXPUNGED] out of my sight. Motorsport DEMANDS rock & roll.

InfernalGrape

Jun 3, 2012
Le Mans 24 from Dreamcast was awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edB-mZU1Udw

Same developers made Grand Prix Challenge for PS2, which was technically impressive for it's time (60 fps, 22 cars at time, particles), but LM24 is better game i guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIP5rB3RTQ4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt0QGaf7LhI