8 Critically Successful Games that Sold Poorly

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Critically Successful Games that Sold Poorly

These eight games were critical darlings, but they didn't do so well at retail.

Read Full Article

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I don't think anyone except me remembers Binary Domain, even though it's a uh better 3rd person shooter than Gears of War.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
They gave away Beyond Good & Evil with cheese!? Really?!
That masterpiece of a game deserved so much more.
I still replay it at least once a year.

I can't help but wonder why it never took off.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
...Man, this list is depressing. Especially for games like Psychonauts, Beyond Good and Evil and Okami. And yet people barely noticed them? Shame...

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Finally, someone who acknowledges that Beyond Good & Evil sold poorly and 99% of the people who praise it never actually played it.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I'm a little surprised not to see Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure on the list. At the time, it was considered a poster child for critical-but-not-commercial success. Gaming blogs and news sites kept nagging people to buy it and calling it amazing, and nobody did.

P.S. Thanks

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
No mention of Ico or did they sold a decent amount?
I think Ico may have been passed over for favor of these other games because got a sequel of sorts. It is still a rare gem, to be sure, but I think it's not as big a deal as these other games.

Anyway, it's amazing how most of those games now are talked about in terms of "Awe" by people. They all fell amazingly short in terms of sales, and yet nowadays people are clamoring for sequels for most of them.

Neonsilver

Aug 11, 2009
Vendor-Lazarus said:

I think one reason were the anthropomorphic animals, at least to me it made the game look somewhat childish. I'm still annoyed at myself that I didn't take a closer look at it. I played and bought it a lot later.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
The Wii was probably a lost cause for "mature" titles within its first year. Many were starting to see the motion controls were not adding much to the immersion. The 360 and PS3 had plenty of what older players wanted, and many likely didn't have extra cash for another system. Even good kid friendly third party games were lost under the sea of shovelware the Wii shelves collected. It had a few non-Nintendo gems that didn't have the look of a kid's game, but not enough at once to really get noticed by the crowd.

Okami came out at a bad time and probably could have used a better ad campaign. The PS3 (and Wii) was looming over the horizon. A few of my friends dismissed it as "some anime game." The only way I heard about it was the Game Informer review that showered it with praise. The Wii port didn't do well because of reasons I already stated (and it was the only game where the Wii's IR pointer controls felt like a downgrade to me). I wonder if the HD remaster met sales expectations? The DS sequel did better financially, but not by much. Now, if only we could get one last sequel... (Wii U gamepad controls would be great but that system is a curse to good third party games.)

To add another forgotten critically acclaimed, poor selling franchise, Klonoa sure got beat down a lot. Seeing some let's plays of the 2 (er, 3 with the original's remake) console titles had me regretting not trying them out as a kid (not enough money/present allotment). If Namco could make a good compilation, I'd pick them up fast.

Itsuki93

Mar 16, 2015
09philj said:
I don't think anyone except me remembers Binary Domain, even though it's a uh better 3rd person shooter than Gears of War.
I still play it from time to time. Great game, squad interaction was very unusual but very enjoyable.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Zontar said:
Finally, someone who acknowledges that Beyond Good & Evil sold poorly and 99% of the people who praise it never actually played it.
Played and bought "first hand" (so the publishers make a profit) are two different things. I was an "offender" like that for Okami when it first came out by borrowing it from a friend, before buying a new version release later on.

Sidenote: not saying it's bad but lack of sales doesn't necessarily mean a lack of fans who liked it,just an issue with enough of them buying/owning the game at the same time. What with rentals, trade-ins, friends, family or piracy.

stormtrooper9091

Jun 2, 2010
Nice to see there are still fans of VGCats :)

anyway, it's super sad that BG&E did so poorly, it's definitely top 5 games I ever played

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
Strangely for an article like this, I've actually heard of every game on this list.

Unfortunately I haven't played most of them, they are mostly games I wanted to play but just never got round to.

Jade Empire & Beyond Good & Evil are two of my favorite games of all time though.

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
Itsuki93 said:
09philj said:
I still play it from time to time. Great game, squad interaction was very unusual but very enjoyable.
Oh, Binary Domain. Fun shooter, but the campaign made the average playthrough of Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 look like a massive epic by comparison.

No, seriously. I won't even come close to thinking of myself as a top-class video game speedrunner, but I can blaze through BD's campaign in under six hours. SIX HOURS.

I'll confess I never tried the online modes, but I never was much for online multiplayer to begin with...

Still, when someone like me can burn through your game's story mode in that short of a time, something's not right.

It's still a fun little game, though.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
one game is missing. the french comic based FPS, XIII. suppose to be a second game but because it sold so poorly, they didnt bother making part 2 to continue the story.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Neonsilver said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:

I think one reason were the anthropomorphic animals, at least to me it made the game look somewhat childish. I'm still annoyed at myself that I didn't take a closer look at it. I played and bought it a lot later.
Hmm, that could indeed be a possible reason. Some people also seem to have a thing against Anthro's.
Having grown up with ThunderCats, Sonic SatAM, Gummibears, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, DuckTales, Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck ...oh..I should probably stop there..
Ahem, having grown up with those shows, I didn't even consider that as something objectionable.
Thanks for enlightening me as to a possible cause!

astrav1

Jul 6, 2009
09philj said:
YES! I love Binary Domain. It's a fantastic shooter with great characters. It was barely advertised and had to go up against mass effect 3 sadly. Everyone should play Binary Domain.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Some people are put off by the smell of cheese.

OT; I had always wanted to get Jade Empire when it was first released. But I missed that apparently very narrow window. Had to wait until GoG released it.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Interesting... I've played every game and completed most of these except forPanzer Dragoon. I enjoyed them all very, very much and get especially sad when I see 'Okami' and 'No More Heroes' on lists like these. The former is a prime example of a beautifully crafted game with substance, clever ideas and amazing visuals.

And then I remember that I once met a professional game critic that refused to play the game just because of the art style.