Return of the Jedi's Slave Leia Bikini Sells for $96,000

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Return of the Jedi's Slave Leia Bikini Sells for $96,000

A collector paid $96,000 for Leia's metal bikini during a recent auction.

<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/star%20wars?os=star+wars>Star Wars is a franchise that's nothing if not rife with iconic characters, locations and imagery. And while most every fan has their personal favorite, there are a few visuals from the franchise that stand perhaps a bit taller than others. For instance, when many think of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/14589-LEGO-Review-Death-Star-Final-Duel>Return of the Jedi, the first thing that comes to mind is Carrie Fisher wearing her Slave Leia outfit.

It should serve as little surprise, in turn, that the metal bikini at the center of the outfit would be something of a draw for collectors. Featured recently in an online Profiles of History auction, the bikini, which includes the outfit's collar, several chain links and a letter of authenticity signed by Industrial Light and Magic designer Richard Miller, was sold to a currently unnamed bidder for a sum of 96,000 dollars. Alongside it, another Star Wars item, a miniature of Leia's Blockade Runner used to film the opening of A New Hope was also sold during the auction for a whopping 450,000 dollars, more than twice the opening bid of 200,000 dollars.

That these items would go for such lofty amounts doesn't leave us even the slightest bit surprised. After all, Star Wars collectors have, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130173-Buy-Han-Solos-Blaster-For-200-300K#&gid=gallery_1935&pid=1>on other occasions, demonstrated their willingness to pay big bucks for rare collectibles. Considering the uniqueness of these props, we're honestly more shocked that the final bids weren't even larger.

Source: <a href=http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/02/news/princess-leia-bikini-auctioned-for-96000/index.html>CNN

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
I generally think of Ewoks first. Or speeder bikes. Or Biker Scouts. Or the Biker Scout figure I lost under some weird, permanently locked outhouse door in the school playground, and pined over for years... (the building was demolished a year or two later, and with the innocence/deluded hope of a kid, I looked about to see if I could retrieve the long lost Scout, clearly to no avail)

The gold bikini's never been a thing for me, as I was too young to quite figure out how it might look to older eyes/minds (I think Leia/Carrie looks hotter in the Endor commandor outfit these days as well).
StewShearer said:
Alongside it, another Star Wars item, a miniature of Leia's Blockade Runner used to film the opening of A New Hope was also sold during the auction for a whopping 450,000 dollars, more than twice the opening bid of 200,000 dollars.
Now that'd be a great piece of film history to own.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I am not surprised in the slightest that a ship was way more valuable than probably the second-most-recognized Star Wars costume ever.

I actually think of the greatest space battle ever filmed when I think of Return of the Jedi. And to be honest, I never thought the outfit looked sexy when I saw the movie
Darth Rosenberg said:
The gold bikini's never been a thing for me, as I was too young to quite figure out how it might look to older eyes/minds
Yep, same thing. I think I was too young to understand or care, but even today, I still look at it and just shrug.

I do wonder if the guy who bought it will ask his girlfriend/wife to try it on. Of if the woman who bought it will try it on. Or if they're just going to lock it away in a display case.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Sniper Team 4 said:
I am not surprised in the slightest that a ship was way more valuable than probably the second-most-recognized Star Wars costume ever.

I actually think of the greatest space battle ever filmed when I think of Return of the Jedi. And to be honest, I never thought the outfit looked sexy when I saw the movie
Darth Rosenberg said:
The gold bikini's never been a thing for me, as I was too young to quite figure out how it might look to older eyes/minds
Yep, same thing. I think I was too young to understand or care, but even today, I still look at it and just shrug.

I do wonder if the guy who bought it will ask his girlfriend/wife to try it on. Of if the woman who bought it will try it on. Or if they're just going to lock it away in a display case.
That was a glorious space battle wasn't it?

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
I actually think of the greatest space battle ever filmed when I think of Return of the Jedi.
I used to feel the same way but recently rewatching the first Star Wars got me a new level of appreciation for the 1st film's death star trench run. So full of suspense and the pilots had a lot of personality which sustains multiple viewings (imo).

Anyways other then that clarification, the space battle is also what I think of first when thinking of ROTJ, followed by that song jabba's band plays (you know the one, the catchy groove that for some reason some IDIOT decided to replace in the new version), vader vs luke storyline and then after all that, leia and her bikini.

Now the question is whether the bikini will be kept in storage or used for..."personal" purposes.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Frankster said:
Now the question is whether the bikini will be kept in storage or used for..."personal" purposes.
I remember seeing some photos of the Actual Slave Leia outfit years ago, and it was suffering badly from age and deterioration. I think some parts of it were sculpted latex and were deteriorating. Just as Jaba himself and many of the original effects masks and puppets. I suspect wearing the original is just not a viable option at this point in time.

The sale of the blockade runner is more shocking. Lucasfilms has always kept rigidly tight control over all of their props and models. Almost none have gotten out into the collectors market. For any filming miniature or prototype of that ship to be out at auction is astounding. I wonder where it came from?

Randomvirus

Aug 12, 2009
The guy who bought it probably owns an actual slave who will wear it.

And I'm a little jealous.

And will laugh at the irony when she murders him wearing it.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
faefrost said:
The sale of the blockade runner is more shocking. Lucasfilms has always kept rigidly tight control over all of their props and models. Almost none have gotten out into the collectors market. For any filming miniature or prototype of that ship to be out at auction is astounding. I wonder where it came from?
I didn't know that, so does that mean somewhere deep in the bowels of LucasFilms there's model star destroyers and xwings/tie fighters? I imagine they would go for a decent sum.

Imagine bringing them along to an Xwing game :p

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Randomvirus said:
The guy who bought it probably owns an actual slave who will wear it.

And I'm a little jealous.

And will laugh at the irony when she murders him wearing it.
The sad thing is that this is probably true.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
faefrost said:
Frankster said:
I remember seeing some photos of the Actual Slave Leia outfit years ago, and it was suffering badly from age and deterioration. I think some parts of it were sculpted latex and were deteriorating. Just as Jaba himself and many of the original effects masks and puppets. I suspect wearing the original is just not a viable option at this point in time.

i guess there's more than one. the last time i saw that costume it was in Star Wars identity exibition, and it was suppose to be an original prop from the movie. and i think it's still expose there...

http://picpaste.com/atJkhEeK.JPG

there, it was taken 3 years ago

JustAnotherAardvark

Feb 19, 2015
cathou said:
i guess there's more than one.
Have to be at least two, one for Carrie and one for Tracy Eddon, her stunt double.
Probably a couple spares, there's not a lot of wardrobe to malfunction there, wacka wacka wacka.

I was always a fan of the original white dress; seemed both classy and sexy.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Frankster said:
faefrost said:
I didn't know that, so does that mean somewhere deep in the bowels of LucasFilms there's model star destroyers and xwings/tie fighters? I imagine they would go for a decent sum.

Yes Lucasfilms keeps and archives EVERYTHING. I have a book somewhere of pictures from their archive on Skywalker Ranch. Also if you have the BluRay release of the 6 movies (the original BD release not the new metal box versions) each movie comes with an extras disk that includes tons of pictures from their prop and costume archives. They sometimes put the stuff on display as well. I know Walt Disney World Hollywood Studios had a few major pieces on display as part of the backlot tour a few years ago. That included one of the large ISD models from ESB plus things like Darth Mauls costume.

But the key thing is George Lucas is a pack rat. He keeps everything manufactured for the movies he makes. None of it goes to trash and very little ever gets sold. He, or Lucasfilms has everything from Stormtrooper Armor to Indiana Jones airplane models to Howard the Duck. The only major accept ions were the main actors get to take home a set of their key props. So most Jedi keep one of their light sabers, Harrison Ford has 4 sets of Indy hats and whips, etc.
http://www.amazon.com/From-Star-Wars-Indiana-Jones/dp/0811809722

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
cathou said:
faefrost said:
Frankster said:

i guess there's more than one. the last time i saw that costume it was in Star Wars identity exibition, and it was suppose to be an original prop from the movie. and i think it's still expose there...

http://picpaste.com/atJkhEeK.JPG

there, it was taken 3 years ago
Whenever they make a costume or a prop, it is almost never a single piece. Unless it is a complicated and super expensive efx piece like an animatronic mask. They make several copies of major costumes in case of damage, discoloration, etc. or in many cases to preserve a particular state. Take an Indiana Jones movie. Indy is wearing one outfit throughout the film, but it gets battered, muddied and bloodied as he goes. Well they don't actually shoot movies in order. And often have to jump back for reshooting. So multiple copies of the same outfit get preserved in different states to accommodate going back. The same with the Leia bikini. There were probably wholly different outfits used for the indoor London sound stage shots and the outdoor Tunisia ones.

At least in the case of Hollywood movies. One of the weird charms of the Toho Godzilla movies, at least the early ones is they literally only made one of each monster suit every few movies, with no real backup, so you can sometimes see them deteriorating on screen.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
faefrost said:
Frankster said:
faefrost said:

Yes Lucasfilms keeps and archives EVERYTHING. I have a book somewhere of pictures from their archive on Skywalker Ranch. Also if you have the BluRay release of the 6 movies (the original BD release not the new metal box versions) each movie comes with an extras disk that includes tons of pictures from their prop and costume archives. They sometimes put the stuff on display as well. I know Walt Disney World Hollywood Studios had a few major pieces on display as part of the backlot tour a few years ago. That included one of the large ISD models from ESB plus things like Darth Mauls costume.

But the key thing is George Lucas is a pack rat. He keeps everything manufactured for the movies he makes. None of it goes to trash and very little ever gets sold. He, or Lucasfilms has everything from Stormtrooper Armor to Indiana Jones airplane models to Howard the Duck. The only major accept ions were the main actors get to take home a set of their key props. So most Jedi keep one of their light sabers, Harrison Ford has 4 sets of Indy hats and whips, etc.
http://www.amazon.com/From-Star-Wars-Indiana-Jones/dp/0811809722

wich remind me, from the same exibit :

a star destroyer, with several others ships in the background.

http://picpaste.com/7xJVVzbj.JPG

and the millenium falcon

http://picpaste.com/oho5E5Ov.JPG