8 Games that Surprised Established Franchise Fans

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013

For better or worse, these eight games departed from the established formula of their franchises.

Read Full Article

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Why would you remind people about Dirge of Cerberus 9_9

It's nice to see one of these lists mix good games and bad.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I forgot that it was thanks to Resi 4 that the rest of the games became 3rd person shooter than having actual horrors in it. In saying so I still loved Resi 4.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
I'd have put X Rebirth on the list, the game which killed the X franchise and may in the long run kill the company which made it as a result of the fallout.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
ffronw said:

For better or worse, these eight games departed from the established formula of their franchises.

Read Full Article
I might have included Grand Theft Auto 3.

syaoran728

Aug 4, 2010
Fallout 3 deserves mention moving the franchise into a much different type of game.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I'd honestly mention Witcher 3. In addition to changing it to an open world game, Witcher was sort of a niche series before with a small group of fairly hardcore fans. I don't think anyone was expecting Witcher 3 to be the improvement that it was over its predecessors, or to be so much more accessible.

linkblade91

Dec 2, 2009
Regarding Metroid Prime: "The reboot not only revolutionized the series, it was both a critical and commercial success as well, becoming one of the best selling games on the Nintendo GameCube."

Yeah, because it was F'ing awesome :D

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption is still my favorite in the whole series, 3D or otherwise.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
I heard they made Nuts+Bolts kind of in rebellion to fans screaming that the series should "Go back to its roots" - so they went all the way back to Banjo and Kazooie's first appearance... in Diddy Kong Racing.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
I'm liking this article for the fact that it made me want to play Mario kart Double Dash.
Has been a few years but I remember missing only 2 trophies in the 150 CC class.

Director Bison

Oct 8, 2015
i actually really liked FF7 dirge of cerberus
i mean the story was meh
but i loved the gameplay

i think DmC: devil may cry should be on the list
that game split the whole fan base in two

very few people will accept both universes

(i hope my first post doesn't derail this whole thread from my experience on other fourms DmC tends to do that)

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I would put World of Warcraft. Warcraft already had 3 RTS games (and couple expansions). Then someone in Blizzard decided, "hey, let's make it a MMORPG". And I'm not sure, but I think it was well received.