Konami Denies That Kojima Has Left, Says he is "on Vacation"

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Konami Denies That Kojima Has Left, Says he is "on Vacation"

Konami has denied the New Yorker's report that Hideo Kojima has parted ways with the company, insisting he is just on vacation.

Yesterday, we ran a story from erase his existence [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142897-Kojima-Leaves-Konami] from the company. But surprisingly, a spokesperson at Konami's Tokyo headquarters has flat-out denied the New Yorker story, claiming that Kojima is still an employee at Konami, and is just "on vacation".

"Currently, Kojima and the development team are finished developing Metal Gear Solid V and are taking a long time off from work," said the spokesperson. When asked about the farewell party mentioned in the New Yorker article, the spokesperson replied "We're not sure what kind of thing this was."

In rebuttal, Simon Parkin, the author of the original New Yorker piece, Tweeted the following photograph of the farewell party:

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/SimonParkin/status/656381596094828544]

"Because the development time for console games is so long and fatigue builds up, it's common for employees to take extended periods of time off when development is finished," Konami insisted. Sources close to the matter have reported that Kojima has signed a non-compete clause until December, which may be the reason Konami is flat-out denying he has left.

Either way, it's all very odd. I guess we will know for sure in December.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/konami-denies-hideo-kojima-has-left-says-hes-on-vacat-1737501388]

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
why are they even bothing with this pretense? it only makes people hate them more.

they're just insulting our intelligence now.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
xD

Konami...please...stop. Just...just stop...I CAN'T BREATH! MY SIDES!!!!

"Ahem. Yes, Kojima is taking a two month vacation to recuperate after the long development of MGS 5."
"Wait. His contract expires in December and its no secret that neither he nor Konami has any intention of renewing it. If he's on a two month vacation and it's already late October, doesn't that mean he effectively no longer works at Konami?"
"......" *whispers into cuff link* "take the shot."

Seriously, what's with the lie? Over a hundred people attend a party at your company HQ - with photographic evidence of said party occuring - and the best you can come up with is "We have no knowledge of that event"? Wow...just wow.

Konami...please...for the love of god. Hold an IP auction then go off and make all the pachinko machines you want.

Yes, I know that'll never happy (especially considering how they've apparently already trademarked a pachinko machine named Big Boss)...but that's what I want to happen, damnit!

Actually what I really want to happen is for the president and the CEO of Konami to release a public statement officially apologizing for all the bullshit they've been up to for the past year and a half now, acknowledge how they've brought great shame and dishonor to the company and its legacy in the gaming community, then retire to their offices and commit seppuku.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
hmmm has konami found and been using the stash of LSD kojima uses when he writes games? because they are out of touch with reality badly

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
This reminds of parents trying to convince their son that his dog didn't die, that s/he just went to live on a farm somewhere.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
anthony87 said:
Anyone else think that Kojima looks amazing for a 52 year old man?
Kojima is an incredibly sexy man.
<link=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJvOxFhVNbQ>Only one explination.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
anthony87 said:
Excuse me, good sir. I believe you hit the 5 instead of the 3 on your keyboard. Because there is no way a 52 year old man can look that fucking amazing.

Really, this is no shock. The fact that Kojima looks like a twenty or thirty year old at fifty is the most shocking thing I learned from this article.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Wait a minute I'm confused...according to the box art Kojima and his production team had no involvement on the Metal Gear Solid V whatsoever. Konami, do you have all of your facts straight? Are you perhaps telling a fib? In all seriousness though, I'm kind of curious to see what Kojima comes up with come December...maybe somewhere in February or March he'll launch a video announcing a Kickstart campaign for his newest project, Heavy Equipment...or Swatnaughts...

Briantb

Feb 6, 2014
Shoggoth2588 said:
Wait a minute I'm confused...according to the box art Kojima and his production team had no involvement on the Metal Gear Solid V whatsoever. Konami, do you have all of your facts straight? Are you perhaps telling a fib? In all seriousness though, I'm kind of curious to see what Kojima comes up with come December...maybe somewhere in February or March he'll launch a video announcing a Kickstart campaign for his newest project, Heavy Equipment...or Swatnaughts...
If you play the game you come to realize just because Kojimas name is not on the box doesn't mean his name isn't veiwed every time you play a mission or clear one.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Interesting news. It's possible Konami is having a bout of sanity and is in some last minute negotiations with him to get him to stay. Unlikely but it would explain the pretense. If Konami does get him to stay/retains him it might mean there is some hope for "Silent Hills" after all.

Konami isn't in a position where it really needs to justify itself, if it pulls out of gaming it can burn all of it's bridges and doesn't have to worry about saving face. This is an interesting development, we'll see what happens in December. I'll also be listening eagerly for Kojima to say something, the fact that he hasn't confirmed or denied anything in public while everyone talks about him reinforces my suspicions that there are some last ditch negotiations underway.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
"We're just on a break. Ohmahgawd"

That's the vibe i'm getting right now. We all know Konami is a dirty skank. There ain't no way those two are ever, ever... getting back together!

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
jhoroz said:
My god, is that actually Kojima? That's it, the man won selfies. I laughed so hard I cried.

OT: Man, what the hell is up with Konami? If I were an investor I'd start asking some really hard questions. Then again, if I were an investor I'm either a) yakuza, or b) about to be 'bought out' by yakuza.

This is so weird, and I kind of love how no matter what it makes konami look stupid.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
anthony87 said:
That's because it's the Life Model Decoy of 42-year-old Kojima. The real Hideo Kojima managed to escape Konami via Fulton extraction and is now hiding in Guillermo Del Toro's house. This is just Konami entering Damage Control.

Here's hoping that the "Building an Actual Metal Gear and Instilling a Perpetual War" protocol never kicks into effect in the LMD's firmware...

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
and Konami had been making quite an effort to erase his existence [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141559-Hideo-Kojimas-Name-Erased-From-Box-Art-For-Metal-Gear-Solid-V-The-Phantom-Pain] from the company.
And what a damn fine job they did. It's not like the Text "Kojima Productions" and "A game by Hideo Kojima" comes up before AND AFTER every single mission in the game.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Riiiggghhhttt. And I'm the queen of England! Seriously, Konami just keeps digging themselves in deeper, and somehow they don't seem to realize no one is buying into their BS anymore...

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Actually what i heard is that theres a quirk in Japanese law that says someone has to use up all thier remaining vacation time before they can officially leave a job.

anthony87 said:
You think hes amazing check out Hirohiko Araki.