Decks That Almost Won Pro Tour to Surprise Your Friends With

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Decks That Almost Won Pro Tour to Surprise Your Friends With

What decks are still under the radar? We'll break down the ones we think are still viable, but not seeing a lot of play.

Read Full Article

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Atarka Landfall seems fun, R/G are my fave colours. Who the hell can afford to run Control or Superfriends at the mo given Jace's price tag.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
I haven't paid attention to Standard ever since Innistrad rotated out, but from my current understanding there is a ridiculous amount of mana fixing in Standard, so why would they put such a powerful card out when color restrictive costs will make such little difference?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
PunkRex said:
Atarka Landfall seems fun, R/G are my fave colours. Who the hell can afford to run Control or Superfriends at the mo given Jace's price tag.
Retail numbers are a bit deceiving. Nine times out of ten someone isn't dropping several hundred dollars cash on a Standard deck. The vast majority of folks are borrowing cards from friends, buying them when they were cheaper, trading cards, pulled them in draft, using store credit prizes, etc. In my Magic group we've got ~2 playsets of Jace, Gideon, Deathmist Raptor, and such. So when we all go to tournaments together we can pool our collections to field a bunch of decks.

lax4life said:
I haven't paid attention to Standard ever since Innistrad rotated out, but from my current understanding there is a ridiculous amount of mana fixing in Standard, so why would they put such a powerful card out when color restrictive costs will make such little difference?
It's about creating an ebb and flow to the game. While mana fixing is certainly very high and there are lots of powerful three color cards in the format, this is one of the weaker Standard environments in other ways. For instance, removal is either cheap and really restrictive or really expensive but universal.