Cancelled Darth Maul Game May See Release on Current Gen

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Cancelled Darth Maul Game May See Release on Current Gen

The developer of the cancelled Darth Maul 360/PS3 game is hoping it will see the light of day on current gen.

Hey remember that awesome Dan Borth [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/04/09/art-from-the-darth-maul-game-you-39-ll-never-get-to-play.aspx] has hopes that the game may see release on current gen, and is currently working on a demo of the game for PS4/Xbox One/PC to show perspective publishers.

"We have been burning a candle for this game since it was killed in hopes we can get it turned back on again. If that is to happen we need to approach EA with a demo that will impress them. I think we have that or are close to it. Still it is completely not up to us," Borth elaborated.

For a bit of insight into what the game would have been/could still be, check out the gameplay footage from the cancelled version to the right. Borth says in a reddit AMA [https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3q2mpm/hi_im_dan_borth_of_red_fly_studio_the_creators_of/] that the game would have/will feature young Maul from ages 9 ~ 11 - right before Episode 1, and "Showcase the torture the Emperor put him through. Show how you as the player would have made the same mistakes and ended up a Sith."

As for how the game would have/will play, Borth said the team had "settled on a reverse fear mechanic and combat that was similar to Arkham," and that Maul would only ever take out his lightsaber staff to fight Jedi.

Sounds like it would have been a pretty cool game, perhaps something along the lines of The Force Unleashed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/the%20force%20unleashed?os=%20the%20force%20unleashed] but with a better main character.

Source: reddit [https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3q2mpm/hi_im_dan_borth_of_red_fly_studio_the_creators_of/]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I admire thier dedication to thier work, but going to EA for publishing isnt going to end well for them.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
gigastar said:
I admire thier dedication to thier work, but going to EA for publishing isnt going to end well for them.
EA own the star wars license for video games, so it's EA or bust.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
gigastar said:
Im aware of that. Still cant believe Disney was stupid enough to hand it over to only EA. Especially when Disney already runs its own videogame publishing arm.

Also i meant to imply that going bust would be preferable to being published by EA.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I remember getting the chills reading an article on GameInformer about this game. The devs were going into a meeting with George Lucas and beforehand were told to never disagree with him and not mention particular Star Wars characters. It was a small insight into how Lucas did things and it was bloody horrifying.

"The next day, Red Fly finally met with George Lucas, but not before being told how to talk to him. Our source says they were told to never say "No" to him, or to say, "Yeah, that will be easy." They were also told not to mention Force Unleashed's protagonist, Starkiller. If he?s referred to by George, it will be "that guy." The most important rule, much like not feeding a Mogwai after midnight, was "Don?t tell George how the Force works."

Red Fly's representatives arrived at the meeting point early the next day, only to find LucasArts employees rushing Force Unleashed artwork out of the conference room, and replacing it with other Star Wars artworks, including the placement of Sideshow Collectibles statues of Darth Maul and Darth Talon to the table.
"

The article itself is pretty good though, if not a little disheartening

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/05/07/the-story-of-the-darth-maul-game-that-never-came-to-be.aspx?PostPageIndex=1

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Imre Csete said:
That's not how you spell Star Wars: 1313 EA, get your act together.
funny you should say that because today I saw this list from a bunch of years ago

and I'm still drinking to forget

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
I'd suggest that they alter their assets, story and design choices in such a way that they could publish this elsewhere. If it doesn't stand on its own and is only carried by the license, it isn't a good game to begin with.

People here say that they could only publish this under EA. Is this really true? I mean, this guy should know. So why even look for other publishers?

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
It looked kinda cool and it has been quite a while since we've got a good lightsaber fighting game. So color me excited. I would've preferred 1313 coming back more though.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
gigastar said:
Steven Bogos said:
gigastar said:
Im aware of that. Still cant believe Disney was stupid enough to hand it over to only EA. Especially when Disney already runs its own videogame publishing arm.

Also i meant to imply that going bust would be preferable to being published by EA.
It's an example of how deeply the video game art form is misunderstood; Disney's executives probably pay no attention to video game news or academia. Most of what they know about video games they probably got from their kids playing COD.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
teh_Canape said:
Imre Csete said:
That's not how you spell Star Wars: 1313 EA, get your act together.
funny you should say that because today I saw this list from a bunch of years ago

and I'm still drinking to forget
Add a third to that.
As much as I (and everyone else) wants to see 1313, this is better than nothing, I guess.
And I say that with the best intentions, this Maul game looks awesome.
And who know? If it does well, maybe they'll bring out their voodoo priestesses again and revive 1313 as well.
Low expectations but high hopes.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Naldan said:
I'd suggest that they alter their assets, story and design choices in such a way that they could publish this elsewhere. If it doesn't stand on its own and is only carried by the license, it isn't a good game to begin with.

People here say that they could only publish this under EA. Is this really true? I mean, this guy should know. So why even look for other publishers?
So he'd be an energy-blade-wielding monster with horns and....blue skin, being subverted by an evil senator, from Alpha-sygma 9? No matter how the assets would be altered, it would be easy enough to see what the original project would have been.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Remus said:
So he'd be an energy-blade-wielding monster with horns and....blue skin, being subverted by an evil senator, from Alpha-sygma 9? No matter how the assets would be altered, it would be easy enough to see what the original project would have been.
Well, there are people paid for creativity. I think you aren't, no offense, but when people do this professionally, you could expect something more.

Ah, who am I kidding. Writing is rarely what shines in games, sadly. Anyway, it was more about avoiding lawsuits.