Miyamoto Wanted Goldeneye 007 To End With Handshakes

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Miyamoto Wanted Goldeneye 007 To End With Handshakes

Former Rare producer Martin Hollis has revealed some of the changes Shigeru Miyamoto suggested for Goldeneye 007.

During a talk at GameCity festival in Nottingham over the weekend, former Rare producer Martin Hollis revealed some of the advice his team received from Shigeru Miyamoto during the final stages of Goldeneye 007 development, The Guardian [http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/oct/26/goldeneye-james-bond-n64-nintendo-shigeru-miyamoto-gamecity] reports.

Miyamoto, who rose to fame for his work on some of Nintendo's most family friendly, and critically acclaimed, franchises - including Donkey Kong, Mario, and The Legend of Zelda - was worried that Goldeneye 007 was too violent.

The game, according to Hollis, had already cut back on the graphics, saying, "Bond is a violent franchise and making that fit with Nintendo, which is very much family-friendly, was a challenge. For a while we had some gore, it was just a flipbook of about 40 textures, beautifully rendered gore that would explode out. When I saw it the first time, I thought it was awesome, it was a fountain of blood, like that moment in the Shining when the lift doors open. Then I thought, hmm, this might be a bit too much red."

He then stated that the team received a series of suggestions via fax from Miyamoto.

"One point was that there was too much close-up killing - he found it a bit too horrible," Hollis recalled. "I don't think I did anything with that input. The second point was, he felt the game was too tragic, with all the killing. He suggested that it might be nice if, at the end of the game, you got to shake hands with all your enemies in the hospital."

The team compromised by adding a credit sequence, stressing that the game is a work of fiction. "It was very filmic, and the key thing was, it underlined that this was artifice. The sequence told people that this was not real killing."

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Lizzy Finnegan said:
The second point was, he felt the game was too tragic, with all the killing. He suggested that it might be nice if, at the end of the game, you got to shake hands with all your enemies in the hospital."
This is the same guy who was the creative director of a game where by the end you plunge a sword right into the baddie's forehead, right?

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Er...I guess that's why Miyamoto is known for his family-friendly games, because he doesn't seem to understand the appeal of other types of games.
Although, Hollis being that excited about exploding gore and a fountain of blood does come across as a bit odd to me as well.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
when observed with any depth, the lore of the Mario universe is waaaay more fucked up than anything Bond related. parasitic mushroom creatures, an evil overlord princess...

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007

Casual Shinji said:
This is the same guy who was the creative director of a game where by the end you plunge a sword right into the baddie's forehead, right?
And the game where you drop the villain into a pit of lava. And the game where you toss the villain off the top of a very tall castle parapet. And really, the games where you ruthlessly kill countless small turtles and other creatures.

Yes. Rare's game was "too violent and tragic".

Gatlank

Aug 26, 2014
Casual Shinji said:
Lizzy Finnegan said:
The second point was, he felt the game was too tragic, with all the killing. He suggested that it might be nice if, at the end of the game, you got to shake hands with all your enemies in the hospital."
What it matters is that at the end you shake the hand of your enemy and comment how good he looks with a sword on his forehead, the rest are just details of no importance.

Dalrien

Jun 14, 2014
His advice sounds like something out of a sketch comedy, which In itself Is funny.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
"The second point was, [Shigeru Miyamoto] felt the game was too tragic, with all the killing. He suggested that it might be nice if, at the end of the game, you got to shake hands with all your enemies in the hospital."
Now, before I actually read the article, I thought Miyamoto wanted kind of a Roll call thing, were at the end a curtain would raise and it'd be like "Oh, it was just a movie/play the whole time! Of course none of these people died or were evil or anything!" Sort of like a nicer version of the end of Donkey Kong Country, or the whole feel of Super Mario Bros. 3. What he actually suggested seems really dumb, so it's a good thing they didn't follow that advice...

Randomvirus

Aug 12, 2009
I forgot there was a time where Nintendo games were mature.

As someone who grew up playing Nintendo games on the nes/snes/n64...

I wish Nintendo grew up with me...

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
martyrdrebel27 said:
when observed with any depth, the lore of the Mario universe is waaaay more fucked up than anything Bond related. parasitic mushroom creatures, an evil overlord princess...
the manual stating that all the blocks in the first game, the ones you spent such a long time breaking to make alternate routes and finding secrets, is actually the populace of the kingdom that had been transformed by koopa's magic too
then again, it's ironic he says this considering fucking Majora's Mask

as for the gore, buy it sure didn't stop Turok I tell you that*
[sub]*Turok probably wasn't in the same category as Rare titles tho[/sub]

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
These sort of things coming from Miyamoto make me wonder what will Nintendo be like the day he retires. Because part of me is expecting Nintendo might become better off without him. And that is if Nintendo sticks to making video games.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
If anything, the mention of GoldenEye reminds me how we used to consider that its shooting mechanics were top-notch. Coming back to this particular game after years of Borderlands, Halo and the like, I really have to scoff at my younger self who thought this game was flawless.

I tried to play it again last spring, during Montreal's Game On exhibition, and I just couldn't. It's weird, how we didn't think to make enemies line up in the center of the screen, or to give the player an option to do that - GoldenEye had you shifting your gun's aiming point independently of the main camera. How anyone could have thought this was practical, I have no idea. You couldn't circle-strafe, but you absolutely could laboriously re-orient your reticle while hoping to God that Bond would keep being a bullet sponge for a few seconds longer.

We've been spoiled by the shooter genre, really. Now it's all snappy and effective and immersive across all major franchises and systems.

Xeros

Aug 13, 2008
So what they're saying is, Miyamoto's shenanigans are cheeky and fun, while Hollis' shenanigans are cruel and tragic?

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Randomvirus said:
I forgot there was a time where Nintendo games were mature.

As someone who grew up playing Nintendo games on the nes/snes/n64...

I wish Nintendo grew up with me...
That's how I feel too. Except I'd say they were already mature before while they're being childish now.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Back when I was one of those kids who grew up playing every Nintendo game I could, and eventually led to me playing this game extensively... the thought of the game ending with Bond walking into a hospital and shaking hands with all the people he just shot and exploded with rockets and grenades and tanks is fucking absurd!

I wasn't bothered by the fact that I was shooting a bunch of bad dudes. It was mindless as hell, but fun. Personally, I was much more shocked by... pretty much everything in the 2nd half of Ocarina of Time.

tacotrainwreck

Sep 15, 2011
I guess Miyamoto realized that those demented flesh lumps that Goldeneye characters had at the ends of their wrists would only be good for fist bumps, and those just weren't family-friendly back then.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
IamLEAM1983 said:
If anything, the mention of GoldenEye reminds me how we used to consider that its shooting mechanics were top-notch. Coming back to this particular game after years of Borderlands, Halo and the like, I really have to scoff at my younger self who thought this game was flawless.

I tried to play it again last spring, during Montreal's Game On exhibition, and I just couldn't. It's weird, how we didn't think to make enemies line up in the center of the screen, or to give the player an option to do that - GoldenEye had you shifting your gun's aiming point independently of the main camera. How anyone could have thought this was practical, I have no idea. You couldn't circle-strafe, but you absolutely could laboriously re-orient your reticle while hoping to God that Bond would keep being a bullet sponge for a few seconds longer.

We've been spoiled by the shooter genre, really. Now it's all snappy and effective and immersive across all major franchises and systems.
I don't think they did too badly given the bizarre controller and lack of a second analogue stick, but yeah, it certainly hasn't aged well.