Darth Vader Will Be "Outgunned" in Star Wars: Vader Down

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Darth Vader Will Be "Outgunned" in Star Wars: Vader Down

Star Wars: Vader Down will launch with an extra-size comic on November 18th.

<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/marvel%20comics?os=marvel+comics>Marvel has had some <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139626-Marvel-Star-Wars-1-Flies-Past-One-Million-Copies-Sold>considerable success with its new line of Star Wars books since it reclaimed the franchise from <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131015-Star-Wars-Comics-Leaving-Dark-Horse-for-Marvel-in-2015>Dark Horse last year. It should serve as no surprise, in turn, that the comic publisher has made big efforts to expand its Star Wars with series and mini-series based around fan favorite characters from the famous universe. This November, Marvel will further this with its first new <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140780-Marvel-Announces-New-Directors-Cut-Editions-of-Star-Wars-and-Darth-Vader-Comics>Star Wars crossover event: Vader Down.

Written by Jason Aaron (Star Wars) and Kieron Gillen (<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140965-Darth-Vader-6-Preview-Features-Vader-Fighting-Cyborgs#&gid=gallery_4207&pid=1>Darth Vader), Vader Down will focus on Darth Vader after he's been shot down by Rebel fighters. Hoping to put an end to the villain once and for all, the Alliance brings the entirety of their military might against him. "Outgunned" and forced into a rare moment of disadvantage, Vader will unleash "the true unrestrained power of the Dark Side of the Force." The crossover will begin on November 18th in the extra long comic Star Wars: Vader Down issue one. After that the story will continue in the regular monthly releases of Star Wars and Darth Vader.

Just speaking personally, I'll admit to being excited for Vader Down. While I do generally prefer Darth Vader portrayed more subtly, I still enjoy it when writers let the character enjoy the occasional moment of bombast. Aaron and Gillen have both done that very well in their respective Star Wars books and I have every confidence that, working together, they'll be able to create a fun story that further expands on the current canon tale of Darth Vader and his war with the Rebel Alliance. What do you think? Does Vader Down sound like something you'll be reading or is it not the comic <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=532j-186xEQ>the you're looking for? (Move along.)
[gallery=4923]

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
That load of tightly packed X-Wings all shooting at the Tie-Advanced looks really silly.

Are they really pulling Jaxxon into Dis-con?

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Ukomba said:
That load of tightly packed X-Wings all shooting at the Tie-Advanced looks really silly.

Are they really pulling Jaxxon into Dis-con?
Most likely just a for-fun variant cover.

I was just taking another look at the pics and caught the way they've positioned Leia's leg in her cover. That looks rather uncomfortable.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Looking at that cover I realize just how awkward it would be to walk around looking imposing and with a cape like that while lost in the wilderness

jamail77

May 21, 2011
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Pic #5: Is Vader facing frickin' Bucky O'Hare?!?!?
Glad I wasn't the only one thinking this. You know he has built-in plot armor because he's in the original trilogy: Why conjure up a scenario this insane for him? This makes me go more WTF than that's cool. He's not the right character with the right set-up to do something like this and pull it off right.

EDIT: Annnnndddd, then I realized I misread your post. "Is Vader FACING", not is Vader him. I guess it works well enough though in parallel to what I'm saying.

Ukomba said:
This is more what I was looking for. All this.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
jamail77 said:
Glad I wasn't the only one thinking this. You know he has built-in plot armor because he's in the original trilogy: Why conjure up a scenario this insane for him? This makes me go more WTF than that's cool. He's not the right character with the right set-up to do something like this and pull it off right.
Of course Vader is a terrible character to do a comic like this with, the entire reason they're doing this comic with Vader in the first place is to sell comics off of Vader's popularity rather than on the strength a good story dealing with the tension around survival of a character that has a chance in hell of actually dying.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Ukomba said:
Really? I thought it was actually really cool, since that's what would happen if they identified a high value target like Vader: All other orders rescinded, new orders: "Bum Rush that guy"

OT: See, I'm excited for this sort of thing too. Seeing a character put out of a place we're familiar with them being in, and then giving them challenges to overcome, sometimes easily, sometimes narrowly, is all the components for a good story. The new canon might have just gotten its first sale from me.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
Looks pretty interesting, it would be cool to see Vader get to do some stuff, most of the movies he lets his army of disposable stormtroopers do all the work.

I'm a total comic noob though, so what exactly is this comic crossovering (crossing-over?) with? And who is that rabbit-eared dude?

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
DrownedAmmet said:
Looks pretty interesting, it would be cool to see Vader get to do some stuff, most of the movies he lets his army of disposable stormtroopers do all the work.

I'm a total comic noob though, so what exactly is this comic crossovering (crossing-over?) with? And who is that rabbit-eared dude?
It will be crossing two series together:Jason Aaron's Star Wars and Kieron Gillen's Darth Vader. With the exception of the first issue, which will be stand-alone, the storyline will play out half in Star Wars and half in Darth Vader, both of which receive regular monthly releases.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
silver wolf009 said:
Ukomba said:
Really? I thought it was actually really cool, since that's what would happen if they identified a high value target like Vader: All other orders rescinded, new orders: "Bum Rush that guy"

OT: See, I'm excited for this sort of thing too. Seeing a character put out of a place we're familiar with them being in, and then giving them challenges to overcome, sometimes easily, sometimes narrowly, is all the components for a good story. The new canon might have just gotten its first sale from me.
Ya, the way it's drawn, makes it looks like they are in imminent danger of colliding with each other, at the vary least it's a hindrance to evasive maneuvers and adjusting targeting. If Darth Vader pulled up and the X-wings tried to track him, half would collide and most of the rest would have their lines of fire blocked. by the other x-wings

It's not the idea you'd send every X-wing after him, it's the way it's draw looks stupid. It almost looks like an Antenna Array wants to mate with the Tie-Advanced X1. Would have looked better if they had less X-wings, or spread them out so it looks like they're coming in from multiple angles, maybe one or two behind him.

The loss of Rogue Squadron as an elite X-Wing squadron has really hit the competency of the rebels hard.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
I kinda feel like the rebels would be less inclined for a "ALL IN!" approach on someone like Vader where they would leave themselves vulnerable if the empire counter-attacked, than to take advantage of his absence and the confusion that might bring to get a strategic advantage in later battles, but whatever sells I suppose.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
silver wolf009 said:
Ukomba said:
"You knew my father?"
"Yes, your father and I were great friends. I fought with him in the Great Bum Rush of Yavin IV. He was a dear friend, and one of the best bum rushers I ever knew."

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
Is it just me or are Vader's proportions all wrong in that cover illustration?
It's like they've tried to draw him like a stereotypical over-torso-ed superhero, but also given him teeny tiny arms. Looks weird somehow.

I think the thing that was most unique about Vader in the films was that kind of formless presence:
Going OTT anatomically kind of detracts from that.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
There's a species in the Star Wars expanded universe called the Lepi who bear a very close resemblance to Bucky O'Hare.

Kind of interesting to see they're still using that stuff though. Some of it was.. really freaking weird.

Then again, I just noticed it's a variant cover so maybe not intended to be entirely serious.