Kamala Khan Joins the Avengers in Ms. Marvel Preview Pics

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Kamala Khan Joins the Avengers in Ms. Marvel Preview Pics

Ms. Marvel's post-Secret Wars adventures will begin when the series relaunches on November 18th.

One of the most delightful comics to come out of Marvel over the past few years has been G. Willow Wilson's Ms. Marvel. Following the adventures of the super-powered teenager Kamala Khan, it's impressed readers with its funny and authentic writing as well as its rare focus on a female Muslim superhero. Just like the rest of Marvel's line-up, Ms. Marvel came to an end with the launch of the still winding down <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/secret%20wars?os=secret+wars>Secret Wars event. That being the case, the comics publisher has long had plans to bring the fan favorite heroine back and expand on her adventures <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140249-Miles-Morales-Revealed-as-Member-of-All-New-All-Different-Avengers>by making her an Avenger.

Hoping to give fans a peek at Kamala's new life as a member of the Marvel Universe's premier hero team, the company has released a pair of preview pages from the debut issue of the series' upcoming re-launch. While the pages provide little more than a sneak peek at the new comic, they nonetheless make it clear that fighting alongside the likes of Iron Man, Captain America and (Ultimate) Spider-Man, is pretty much a dream come true. "So once upon a time the world almost came to an end," she says on one page. "But instead of crashing down in a fiery apocalypse it simply got more awesome."

That Kamala would be so excited about being an Avenger should serve as little surprise to fans of the series. A rampant follower of all things superhero even before she received her own powers, a large part of her charm as a character was that she was just as much of a fan as the readers themselves. Ms. Marvel issue one will be hitting comic store shelves next month on November 18th. As with the pre-Secret Wars series, writer G. Willow Wilson will be manning the helm. Takeshi Miyazaw and Adrian Alphona will also be returning to handle the art. In other words, we can probably expect a whole bunch more of the same excellence that readers fell in love with back before Secret Wars flipped everything on its head.
[gallery=4927]

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Why did they make her look cartoony and stupid compared to the other heroes? It's like a drastically different art style within another art style. So weird. I guess I'm just not familiar with her but this is reminding me of the character Slapstick. Maybe that's just the nature of stretch powered heroes?

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Trying to salvage the avengers with awesome Kamala? Lets see if it pays out.

Lightknight said:
Why did they make her look cartoony and stupid compared to the other heroes? It's like a drastically different art style within another art style. So weird. I guess I'm just not familiar with her but this is reminding me of the character Slapstick. Maybe that's just the nature of stretch powered heroes?
Thats because her superpowers have to do with her being able to morph her own body, she can become bigger or just grow certain body parts of her like legs and arms. She also has a Mr. Fantastic elasticity to her. So yeah, she looking a bit more "cartoonish" then the rest is part of the course.

She doesnt look like this the entire time btw. when shes not fighting she looks like the rest of them proportionally wise.

As for the faces she makes? Shes a teenage superhero who happens to be a fangirl of superheroes... you know.. the fanfiction writing one that likes to ship different superheros (as spiderman had to find out, most likely the reason for his remark in one of the pages.) so her being part of the avengers must be like a bieber fangirl meeting the prick in private i guess.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Karadalis said:

Lightknight said:
Thats because her superpowers have to do with her being able to morph her own body, she can become bigger or just grow certain body parts of her like legs and arms. She also has a Mr. Fantastic elasticity to her. So yeah, she looking a bit more "cartoonish" then the rest is part of the course.

She doesnt look like this the entire time btw. when shes not fighting she looks like the rest of them proportionally wise.

As for the faces she makes? Shes a teenage superhero who happens to be a fangirl of superheroes... you know.. the fanfiction writing one that likes to ship different superheros (as spiderman had to find out, most likely the reason for his remark in one of the pages.) so her being part of the avengers must be like a bieber fangirl meeting the prick in private i guess.
I guess that all makes sense. It's just weird to relegate her to such a goofy looking style. It is also a bit weird to have a teenager be a member of the avengers at this point but I'm guessing Ms. Marvel is powerful enough to make that not matter depending what other powers she's currently packing.

Then again, I always found the stretching superheroes to be ridiculous.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I love the character, but I am not a fan of how she is portrait graphically. Her face is rather irregular from panel to panel and, for the most part, she is a drawn to be more attractive (in that "generic comic book attractive" style) than her looks on her main comic.

Nazrel

May 16, 2008
Lightknight said:
Karadalis said:

Lightknight said:

I guess that all makes sense. It's just weird to relegate her to such a goofy looking style. It is also a bit weird to have a teenager be a member of the avengers at this point but I'm guessing Ms. Marvel is powerful enough to make that not matter depending what other powers she's currently packing.

There are multiple avengers teams now; Sam Wilson's All-new All-different seems to be the only one breaking the no teenagers rule (It might be why Steve Rogers is pissed off with him.) It's got the young Nova and Miles Morales on it to.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Nazrel said:
Lightknight said:
Karadalis said:

Lightknight said:

There are multiple avengers teams now; Sam Wilson's All-new All-different seems to be the only one breaking the no teenagers rule (It might be why Steve Rogers is pissed off with him.) It's got the young Nova and Miles Morales on it to.
Interesting, I would have serious ethical issues with children on a team. In the olden days the young'uns stayed home with prof x just waiting to be put in peril there instead... Are they trying to broaden the audience or are they just producing more readily damselled characters you feel extra bad for if something goes wrong for them? Like the utterly ridiculous inclusion of Robin that's ever the inside joke.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I'm just not sure the kids belong on the Avengers, any of them. And to be honest I don't think Thor does either.

These are meant to Earth's Mightiest Heroes and that doesn't just mean physical prowess but in training and experience.

The kids would be better off in a New Warriors title, or hell relaunch Young Avengers if the branding is important.

Jane Foster is great in her title but just having the power of Thor doesn't mean you have the centuries of training and combat experience

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
Lightknight said:

I'm just glad to hear that Adrian Alphona is going to be back doing the art. In her first superhero team-up which is with Wolverine, there was a different artist and it just doesn't feel right without the goofy, fun nature of Adrian Alphona.

I mean, Miss Marvel is a goofy, fun teenager living in Jersey City. She comments to Wolverine in their team-up when he tells her he lost his healing ability, "So you're just like an angry dude who punches people now?". And I love the way Jersey City is drawn as kind of grungy but not in the way that Matt Fraction's Hawkeye had a very grungy 1970's Dog Day Afternoon/Taxi Driver kind of New York.

As for the art above, she usually elongates her legs to get places faster and "embiggens" her fists and sometimes herself to punch people. So in action she's usually out of proportion, but the art style also plays a part.

If you're ever in the mood for something lighthearted, it's a very good all-ages read.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Eh..I admit I don't read much comics anymore but I have seen her in other books before and compared to those this is pretty terrible. She looks like one of those excited little boys in mangas going nuts whenever they see the main character do something cool, which as someone brought up is kind of the point but I'm sure they could've gotten across the same point without making her look...well like a little boy.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Lightknight said:
Nazrel said:
Lightknight said:
Karadalis said:

Lightknight said:

Interesting, I would have serious ethical issues with children on a team. In the olden days the young'uns stayed home with prof x just waiting to be put in peril there instead... Are they trying to broaden the audience or are they just producing more readily damselled characters you feel extra bad for if something goes wrong for them? Like the utterly ridiculous inclusion of Robin that's ever the inside joke.
From what little I've seen of the new Marvel stuff (Mostly just the Miles Morales Spiderman stuff), they've reduced the age bracket for a lot of the heroes down to teens/early 20's. Peter Parker for example was still in highschool during his run before dying. And Miles Morales is the same. Several other characters they introduced in the MM Spiderman stories I read were also teenagers. There is this underlying "Corporations tinkering with childrens DNA to make superpowered humans" plot line that basically made a large cluster of teen powers. It seems to be a conscious choice to grab younger readers.

As for the in universe reasons for why they are letting them join the fight. This came up at least for a bit with Miles, and the bottom line was "Crazy shit's going on, and we need pretty much every super power that we can muster to deal with it. We don't like putting kids into this battle, but we are seriously in short supply of people who can fly/throw a truck/shoot laser beams/indestructible. So we will work with what we've got and hope they don't die along with everyone else" Honestly I don't have much of an issue with this. You can join the military at 18 and go get killed, so apparently teenagers are old enough to put in the line of fire. And while I'm not sure how old all of them are, most seem to be drawn in the 16+ age category.

Nazrel

May 16, 2008
Happyninja42 said:
Lightknight said:
Nazrel said:
Lightknight said:
Karadalis said:

Lightknight said:

From what little I've seen of the new Marvel stuff (Mostly just the Miles Morales Spiderman stuff), they've reduced the age bracket for a lot of the heroes down to teens/early 20's. Peter Parker for example was still in highschool during his run before dying. And Miles Morales is the same. Several other characters they introduced in the MM Spiderman stories I read were also teenagers. There is this underlying "Corporations tinkering with childrens DNA to make superpowered humans" plot line that basically made a large cluster of teen powers. It seems to be a conscious choice to grab younger readers.

As for the in universe reasons for why they are letting them join the fight. This came up at least for a bit with Miles, and the bottom line was "Crazy shit's going on, and we need pretty much every super power that we can muster to deal with it. We don't like putting kids into this battle, but we are seriously in short supply of people who can fly/throw a truck/shoot laser beams/indestructible. So we will work with what we've got and hope they don't die along with everyone else" Honestly I don't have much of an issue with this. You can join the military at 18 and go get killed, so apparently teenagers are old enough to put in the line of fire. And while I'm not sure how old all of them are, most seem to be drawn in the 16+ age category.
That was the ultimate universe, it's destroyed now and miles got folded into the 616; Peter Parker is alive and the head of a multinational corporation... but it's okay, he's not married so he's still relatable (That was a One More Day joke, for people who didn't get it.)

616 Avengers have typically (or at least in the last decade or two.) been against the inclusion of teenagers, and not exactly happy about teen superhero groups.

Coruptin said:
So, she a muttie or what?
She's an inhuman.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Inhumans are the new mutants. Marvel don't have the cinematic rights to mutants so we suddenly have a lot of new Inhumans showing up and some prominent mutants (Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch) becoming Inhumans.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Ihateregistering1 said:
I don't read comics, but what the hell is up with her hands?!
Her powers involve shape shifting, so to emphasize that they draw parts of her in a exaggerated fashion.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Lightknight said:
I would have serious ethical issues with children on a team.
I don't see it. If a kid is already putting herself in harm's way on her own as a hero, I can't imagine it's anything but a net gain to surround her with experienced adults to watch out for her and to help give her experience as well.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
JimB said:
Lightknight said:
I would have serious ethical issues with children on a team.
I don't see it. If a kid is already putting herself in harm's way on her own as a hero, I can't imagine it's anything but a net gain to surround her with experienced adults to watch out for her and to help give her experience as well.
I think the logic is "If they are on a team, they are being officially sanctioned by the government entity as being capable of the job"

If they are running around on their own, without governement approval, they are basically being a vigilante, and you can't really fault anyone but the kid for that type behavior.

How old is Kamala at this point in the timeline anyway? I mean if she's old enough to drive a car/vote/join the military, or hell, even only a year below that arbitrary age, I personally don't give a damn. There isn't anything magical about becoming 18 that suddenly makes you stop acting like an idiotic teenager. It's just an arbitrary date we've come up with that someone is "an adult". But I remember what I was like at 18, and plenty of my friends/classmates, and we were all immature fuckwits. While I've met kids at 16 who are way more mature than I was back then.

So, yeah, I personally don't care about the age of these kids, if they are able to make a difference, and will be doing this stuff on their own anyway might as well give them some training and a support structure to help them.