Take a Gander at The Art of Fallout 4

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Take a Gander at The Art of Fallout 4

Book teased with concept art images from the forthcoming game.

Bethesda has offered a peek at the Art of Fallout 4 book due to be released December 22. The thirty pages shown in images show a wide sweep of concept art materials depicting environmental and character designs.

[gallery=4934]

Two of the pages show sketches of weapons and modifications which, depending on how closely the final result resembles them, may provide some insight into the range of available options. Other interesting images include a look at the innards of robots like Protectron and Mr. Handy, sculpts of super mutants, and a milk vending machine that I would have very little confidence in at this point.

The full hardcover book will contain 386 pages and retail for $50, though a pre-order at Amazon as of right now would bring it to under $30 if you felt so inclined.

And, in case you've somehow forgotten, Fallout 4 releases on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One November 10.

Source: Bethesda.net [https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/the-art-of-fallout-4/2015/10/28/41]

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I'm sure its going to be a fun game but it just looks like any other Fallout 3 mod. Those weapons? Pretty sure I've seen them all off Nexus Mod.
Just get them, a few texture packs and reskins of characters. Few probability changers on spawn rates.

...it just looks...lazy.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Looks like they made it so robots don't break apart into generic wire and electronic gibs and leave similar holes to biological enemies, just textured with robot-y bits instead. Looks like we'll be ripping their casings off, revealing their inner workings in plenty of detail.

Silentpony said:
I'm sure its going to be a fun game but it just looks like any other Fallout 3 mod. Those weapons? Pretty sure I've seen them all off Nexus Mod.
Just get them, a few texture packs and reskins of characters. Few probability changers on spawn rates.

...it just looks...lazy.
Well of course you have. It's literally "idea 1" when you think of post-apocalyptic makeshift weaponry. Only this time it won't be made out of two lead pipes stuck together with a generic weapon stock and look like this [http://static-5.nexusmods.com/15/mods/130/images/59054-0-1432674674.png].

(but that said, I own this mod and several others like it, would recommend Project Weaponry for lots of variety, but if you hate crudely made things stick with Millenia's stuff)

That said, this sneak peek of a 386 page book is entirely stuff which we already know from gameplay trailers and from the Fallout universe.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Silentpony said:

...it just looks...lazy.
They look like the standard Fallout 3/ new Vegas weapons with a weapon modification system expanded greatly from new Vegas stacked on top. They look like nexus mods because 90% of the mods out there are just shitty Reskins of weapons that were already in the game, those that aren't tend to either be knockoffs of weapons from other games, or variations of real world weapons or standard sci-fi weapon tropes like rail guns.

It's the same combo of weapon types we've seen in the last two games and even borrowing some designs from the original games. What kind of originality were you expecting? they look like Fallout style weapons, what did you want them to look like?

Edit: Houdsprouter has a good point, you might have just been talking about the pipe rifle variations from this photo set, in which case, it's basically a post apocalypse standard to have some variation on a DIY style gun that looks like it was made from household materials. Still not really sure what you mean by originality though, they make for a nice low level weapon variant that makes sense to have a lot of modifications, it seems to fit just fine into the crafting system before you get high enough level to start modifying prewar weapons and eventually heavy and energy weapons. What would you have preferred?

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
So I keep telling myself I am NOT going to pre-order or purchase this game at launch. That I will wait for a good sale or a GotY edition. That I do NOT need this game. But every new glimpse into the FO4 world makes those notions harder and harder to follow...

CeeBod

Sep 4, 2012
When I saw the milk vending machine with the Nuka-Cola stuff, I instantly thought "What do you want, Milk Drinker?", and that makes me think - as Bethesda love to include things like the inevitable sweetroll jokes, how many little references do you reckon there will be to the TES universe in this game?

I used to be a scavenger like you until I took a ripper in the knee?

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Ahh, the skyboxes are pretty I suppose. Interesting designs in power armor, it's not "Rifts" level of power armor configurations but I suppose it's better than nothing...

Is that a chainsaw with a fuel tank like a shishkebab? It is. IT IS! Can my melee focused characters swing around a freakin' FLAMING CHANSAW!

Maybe?

Good enough, SOLD.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Dr. McD said:
To be honest until there's a mod that changes the entire story and removes any of Bethesda's attempts at writing the PC for me I don't care. For one thing Bethesda's voice acting is beyond shit and having PC means another gibbering moron, but the real deal killer is telling me I'm married to a useless bint and must save "my" stupid little dipshit child.

Fallout 3 had fuck all narrative freedom and Fallout 4 obviously hasn't gotten any less shit, but if I want an FPS then THERE'S ALREADY FAR BETTER FPS GAMES.

I like some of the ideas, but until a mod comes out that removes every fucking trace of that shitty excuse for a story and fixes the FUCKING RETARDED UI I'm not thinking about getting it. Flaming chainsaws don't mean shit when all it's going to do is apply a shitty particle effect to the enemy.
Listen, copy and paste your reply with minor changes on every FO4 thread you wish. That's not going to change the fact that there exists on this planet people, who despite all your attempts to change their opinions, who do like the things you don't like. People who judge a game after they've actually fucking played it not (like you) before they've even seen what it has to offer.

Despite your hate-on for it, I like Fallout. I generally like Bethesda games in general (or at least I have so far). No problems with those people who don't, just putting this out there for other people who might be reading who have not seen the promotional materials of FO4. Bethesda has in the past had UI that isn't well optimized. That's in no way a guarantee that FO 4's won't be good. Also, the game has not been released and there has only been hints of what the story will be like. I have not, for example, seen anything so far that dissuades me from my initial theory that the "stupid little dipshit child" McD is whining about is the main character. Meaning also that the character ISN'T married (as McD claims). That isn't saying that McD's interpretation of the material released so far is wrong. THAT is the point however, we don't know yet. However I do agree with McD, there's better FPS games. I'm not sure how relevant that observation is. Seeing how FO 3 and NV had FPS elements but those were completely optional, meaning (provably) that FO 3 and NV aren't FPS' and that means the comparison is like apples and oranges.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Dr. McD said:
Kyrian007 said:
Bethesda has had nothing but shitty UI in the past, continious crashes, and shitty stories. Likewise their AI for the last 3 games in a row has managed to stand out as shit by being dumber than the demons in Doom.

THAT'S why it's not a matter of apples and oranges. They've had 3 chances, THREE. FUCKING. CHANCES. And they've gotten objectively worse each time. The very inventory and levelling screens becoming an increasingly worse HINDRANCE. And a flaming chainsaw isn't a flaming chainsaw unless enemies on fire actually act like they're on fire.

Saying a little "ow" and then acting like normal isn't what happens when humans catch fire.

Supposedly complete editions of Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim didn't just require one big fan patch, oh no. They require the grand compilation of fan patches for the other grand compilation of fan patches to make it compatible with the other grand compilation of fan patches. And then you have to either turn full screen mode off or get YET ANOTHER FAN PATCH TO SIMULATE FULL SCREEN MODE WHILE THE GAME THINKS IT'S TURNED OFF to optimize the game so it's slow down to 15FPS to keep everything from falling into the ground. On an above-average PC. New Vegas only required one fan patch (it's a compilation, and you still need to use the full screen simulator if you have enough mods, but still, only one fan patch right from the start) so it's not just the engine (as of now Skyrim does only have one grand compilation of bugfixes needed, don't know or care about the other two, still requires that fucking full screen simulator).

Those are not complete games, those are not even remotely complete games. FULL SCREEN DOES NOT BREAK FULL GAMES. IT DIDN'T EVEN BREAK S.T.A.L.K.E.R. But somehow, somehow Bethesda can't even figure out FULL. FUCKING. SCREEN.

And every time in a worst games/bugs/whatever thread I point these problems out, some holier than thou imbecile demands I fucking change my "opinion" and every other moron can't fucking comprehend why the "game" not working until I fix Bethesda's mistakes myself is a problem while spouting buzzwords they don't know the meaning of. "Narrative freedom" (which is non-existent in the game, everything's railroaded and all the "choices" are stupid evil or just stupid, but you get rewarded for your stupidity), "role-playing" (which is non-existent in the game, you are always the exact same person since the stats do fuck all and the games always says you care about your father, who's a fucking moron), "exploration" (of the same three places copy-pasted all over the wasteland/Skyrim, with a few landmarks which look suspiciously like the other places on the inside).
Strange, I never had a problem with Bethesda and fullscreen. Going all the way back to Daggerfall. Sure I've had quests glitch, clipping errors, AI and pathing foulups... some annoying, some kind of funny. But I've never had to mod or patch to fix anything having to do with fullscreen.