8 Nintendo Franchises We Want to See Revived on Console

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Nintendo Franchises We Want to See Revived on Console

We'd really like to see Nintendo bring these eight franchises to their flagship console, even if that means waiting for the NX.

Read Full Article

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I have a sudden urge to dig through my GameBoy stuff and play Advance Wars.
Except that would require finding the damn thing, and I don't think it's with the rest of my GBA games.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
F-Zero yesssssss

I played the shit out of F-Zero GX on my old Gamecube. I would really like an arcade racing game with some teeth and a smaller emphasis on luck.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Rogue Squadron II and III were amazing on the GameCube. Since I no longer have access to X-Wing, those two games were the closest thing I could get. I would love to see someone bring that franchise back to life. Perhaps the new movie will finally get someone to go, "Hey, how about another shot as an X-Wing pilot?"

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
Rogue Squadron II and III were amazing on the GameCube. Since I no longer have access to X-Wing, those two games were the closest thing I could get. I would love to see someone bring that franchise back to life. Perhaps the new movie will finally get someone to go, "Hey, how about another shot as an X-Wing pilot?"
Didn't EA say waaaaaaay back in 2012 or early 2013 that they wouldn't be making anything on any Nintendo hardware though? Isn't that something they've also stuck to since then? I bring that up because of the fact that Disney gave exclusive game rights to EA when they bought Star Wars. If the next Star Fox were to emulate Rogue Squadron, I would be greatly happy with that because until EA gets that rod out of its ass there's no telling when a new non-Lego Star Wars game will make it on a Nintendo console.

---

I miss when Square-Enix would re-release Final Fantasy games on Nintendo handhelds. I didn't care too much for Final Fantasy III and I wish Final Fantasy IV was of a quicker pace but I liked those versions of those games and, I think it's a shame that there haven't been any new ones since...well, FFIV and Chrono Trigger. I would love to see a remastered Final Fantasy VII on the 3DS for example and Final Fantasy 1 - 6 (as they were on the Famicom/Super Famicom + maybe 3D support) could probably fit on one or two 3DS carts as a collection.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
This....is not a very good list. And of course fully ignores the handheld side of things, in fact even belittling handhelds. F-Zero, pointless due to Nintendo themselves saying that trying to make it separate from Mario Kart while retaining its unique identity is essentially impossible. Rogue Squadron, will never happen due to various circumstances. Advance Wars has been a handheld series for awhile. We already had Kid Icarus on the 3DS. Earthbound is DONE; Itoi has retired from game design and Nintendo respects his wishes by ending the series. Debate over. Luigi's Mansion was also already on the 3DS. Pokemon is a handheld series and is STAYING that way. ANd finally Metroid; not happening with how toxic the fanbase has become and how people always overblow its popularity.

EbonBehelit

Oct 19, 2010
Aiddon said:
F-Zero, pointless due to Nintendo themselves saying that trying to make it separate from Mario Kart while retaining its unique identity is essentially impossible.
Err... you got a source for this? I find it hard to believe that Ninty would say something so completely oblivious.

F-Zero's a super-speed. sci-fi racer with 30 machines on the track. It has a built-in boost system tied to health, melee combat and ZERO items.

Mario Kart's a lighthearted party racer with 12 karts on the track. It has NO health system, and no boosting or combat outside of items.

Even factoring in the new anti-grav sections in Mario Kart 8, the 2 series are almost nothing alike.

Aiddon said:
ANd finally Metroid; not happening with how toxic the fanbase has become and how people always overblow its popularity.
Metroid's never been popular in Japan, and the fans should know this.
It's the main reason why Nintendo's never really seen the series as a priority, and why they tried to push the series in a direction much more 'palatable' to Japanese audiences with Other M (changing Samus into a 'waifu' protagonist, switching from 1st to 3rd person, etc).

Even so, I find it immensely frustrating that Retro Studios haven't made a 2D Metroid game (a la DKCR) on the Wii U yet. Oh well, I can dream...

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
EbonBehelit said:
F-Zero's a super-speed. sci-fi racer with 30 machines on the track. It has a built-in boost system tied to health, melee combat and ZERO items.

Mario Kart's a lighthearted party racer with 12 karts on the track. It has NO health system, and no boosting or combat outside of items.

Even factoring in the new anti-grav sections in Mario Kart 8, the 2 series are almost nothing alike.
That's why I liked F-Zero so much. Less luck, more skill, more speed, more teeth. If I'm in first, I earned it, and if I lose it, it's because I screwed up or someone made a play, as opposed to last place getting a blue shell or something else completely arbitrary.

Metroid's never been popular in Japan, and the fans should know this.
It's the main reason why Nintendo's never really seen the series as a priority, and why they tried to push the series in a direction much more 'palatable' to Japanese audiences with Other M (changing Samus into a 'waifu' protagonist, switching from 1st to 3rd person, etc).

Even so, I find it immensely frustrating that Retro Studios haven't made a 2D Metroid game (a la DKCR) on the Wii U yet. Oh well, I can dream...
I'm more inclined to chalk up Other M's problems to phenomenally poor writing. I wasn't opposed to giving Samus a voice and personality, but when you give the game to the studio responsible for Jiggle Physics Simulator Xtreme 2...well, you get out of it what you put in, and Team Ninja isn't exactly known for making good, strong characters.

Nintendo just needs to keep Metroid in-house, as opposed to contracting it out to doesn't have decent writers and designers.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
A Wii U Rouge Squadron would have been nice, but who knows how Disney would handle that contract. Luigi's Mansion would also have been nice on the Wii U (even if it was just a port of the GC title *Hint - hint, Nintendo*).

The real kicker about Metroid is it always had solid 2D titles, yet the DS and 3DS never got a new sidescrolling Metroid. Over ten years have passed without even doing what is known to work for the franchise, and twelve years since the sort of cliffhanger about Samus' actions near the end of Fusion.

Since Nintendo still mostly focuses on games for the Japanese audience, then exports those to the rest of the world, their franchises that aren't as popular in Japan don't get much love from them. I think F-Zero is also one of those franchises as well.
SlumlordThanatos said:
I'm more inclined to chalk up Other M's problems to phenomenally poor writing. I wasn't opposed to giving Samus a voice and personality, but when you give the game to the studio responsible for Jiggle Physics Simulator Xtreme 2...well, you get out of it what you put in, and Team Ninja isn't exactly known for making good, strong characters.

Nintendo just needs to keep Metroid in-house, as opposed to contracting it out to doesn't have decent writers and designers.
I agree that the writing and pacing is what was really wrong with the game, but Team Ninji is probably only guilty of letting the camera linger on Samus in the zero suit for a little too long. And Nintendo themselves did that in a shot or two from Zero Mission anyway (no complaints from me either way, though).

Nintendo's own Yoshio Sakamoto was in charge of the project and was responsible for many of the flaws. Writing - all his. Forcing strict linearity to fit the story - him too. He even went as far as being there at the American localization to force Samus' voice actress to portray Samus with a wooden, mostly emotionless voice, because that's how the Japanese audience likes to see many tough characters. (Creators around the world, let your localization teams do their damn job.)

The wiimote-only controls were also Sakamoto's doing. He wanted to challenge the dev team, since some of the items in the series (ice beam, Varia suit's big shoulders) came from hardware limitations the teams had to work around. The result is a serviceable, although, awkward control scheme that feels like it limits the game itself. There is a good game somewhere in Other M, it just needs the remake (that will never happen) to surface.

If Nintendo can't find someone in-house willing to work on it and Retro isn't interested in returning, someone out there can do the series justice, in both story and gameplay. Everyone will just have to work together and give/take thought out criticism to make sure no one, from Nintendo or a third party, goes George Lucas on a project.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Aiddon said:
This....is not a very good list. And of course fully ignores the handheld side of things, in fact even belittling handhelds. F-Zero, pointless due to Nintendo themselves saying that trying to make it separate from Mario Kart while retaining its unique identity is essentially impossible. Rogue Squadron, will never happen due to various circumstances. Advance Wars has been a handheld series for awhile. We already had Kid Icarus on the 3DS. Earthbound is DONE; Itoi has retired from game design and Nintendo respects his wishes by ending the series. Debate over. Luigi's Mansion was also already on the 3DS. Pokemon is a handheld series and is STAYING that way. ANd finally Metroid; not happening with how toxic the fanbase has become and how people always overblow its popularity.
It ignored the handheld side of things because it was a list about games that need to hit the actual console. Even for diehard Nintendo fans, the Wii U hasn't been a great console, and that's largely because the library has been sparse. It's also missing key franchises that fans love. That's not an indictment of the handhelds at all - it's an indictment of the lack of great franchises on the console.

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
F-Zero AND Rogue Squadron on this list?

HELL ****ING YES!

Now if only Wave Race and 1080 had appeared here too...

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
I disagree about Pokemon needing a "core" game on the console, as it would go against the way that the core games are specifically designed around the idea that you always have the game in your pocket (hence "Pokemon" being a portmanteau of "pocket" and "monster"). Granted that with Nintendo finally getting into the online scene, a core game would be possible on a console, but it just wouldn't feel like a core game when it's shackled to my living room. Besides, this is a list of games we want to see revived on console, and Pokemon has never had a strong presence outside of the handheld scene. Well, maybe with the exception of Pokemon Stadium, so maybe we could compromise on wanting to see THAT concept get revived, because man... Pokemon Stadium was some good times. Sure the handheld games have caught-up to the point that it's no longer a spectacle to see them in 3D, but it'd be awesome to see them fully rendered in the latest graphics.

Advance Wars... I sorta agree, but at the same time I think it's a game format that works really well for handhelds. Normally I'd say that it kinda suffers from Castlevania Syndrome[footnote]Castlevania Syndrome: the mentality that because a game uses 2D graphics, it doesn't need to see a full console release, despite the fact that consoles could have much more detailed sprites and sound design to make the game far more impressive.[/footnote], but I've never played an Advance Wars game and bemoaned how much being on a handheld is holding the game back like I do when playing any of the DS Castlevania titles. Like Pokemon, I just think that handheld is a good fit for this series. Also, you're kinda mistaken in your description of the series origins. While Advance Wars has always been a handheld series, the Wars games got their start on the NES Famicom with Famicom Wars, which saw sequels on the Game Boy and Super Famicom before it took a Metroid-esque break during the N64 era: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wars_(series)

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
WhiteTigerShiro said:
I disagree about Pokemon needing a "core" game on the console, as it would go against the way that the core games are specifically designed around the idea that you always have the game in your pocket (hence "Pokemon" being a portmanteau of "pocket" and "monster"). Granted that with Nintendo finally getting into the online scene, a core game would be possible on a console, but it just wouldn't feel like a core game when it's shackled to my living room. Besides, this is a list of games we want to see revived on console, and Pokemon has never had a strong presence outside of the handheld scene. Well, maybe with the exception of Pokemon Stadium, so maybe we could compromise on wanting to see THAT concept get revived, because man... Pokemon Stadium was some good times. Sure the handheld games have caught-up to the point that it's no longer a spectacle to see them in 3D, but it'd be awesome to see them fully rendered in the latest graphics.

/snip
One thing I will point out in this context: With the rumors that the NX will be both a full-featured home console and a portable handheld, this could be the time we finally see a core game on a home console without abandoning the "keep it in your pocket" idea.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
All through my childhood I thought it was so unfair that Luigi never got a game of his own. And when he finally did... it was based on the worst levels in Mario? Haunted houses? Give me a break. Luigi's mansion was nothing but a tech demo. At least Rogue squadron knew how to put a game in their impressive gamecube showcases. I'd rather see Starfox back than see Luigi wasted like that again

Sniper Team 4 said:
No longer have access to X-Wing?

https://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_xwing_special_edition