Grand Theft Auto Online has a "Halloween Surprise" for You

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013

New cars, items, and a new way to play in honor of Halloween.

Grand Theft Auto Online is celebrating All Hallows Eve with a limited time event, "Halloween Surprise." Starting today, players on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One will have access to additional unlockable items and a new gameplay mode.

Two new vehicles are available for purchase, the Lurcher Hearse and the Franken Stange. Players can also acquire 20 holiday-themed bobbleheads to put on the dashboard of any of the game's lowriders during the event.

Heists have been updated with a new category of spooky Halloween masks from Vespucci Movie Masks. 30 additional face paint styles have also been added.

The added gameplay mode, "Slasher Adversary," is an eight-player game where one player is designated as the Slasher and is armed with a shotgun with the goal of hunting the others. Players who are able to survive for 3 minutes get a shotgun of their own to even the odds.

[gallery=4941]

The new items will only be available for the length of the event, though they're yours to keep if acquired before it ends on November 18. The Slasher Adversary mode will remain playable permanently.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Oh. I was hoping for something cool like a Zombie Outbreak mode or Xenomorphs.
But I'm sure a car with skulls on it is just a spooky...

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
They're really pushing Online and it's atrocious. The way it's designed is completely anti-fun so no amount of goodies could possibly compensate for that. I was hoping that they would come up with something like Undead Nightmare for GTA V single player. That would be pretty sweet. Imagine a scenario where Michael, Franklin and Trevor had to survive a zombie outbreak in Los Santos and Blaine County. It would be the best spin-off.

Robeltu

Sep 19, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
They're really pushing Online and it's atrocious. The way it's designed is completely anti-fun so no amount of goodies could possibly compensate for that. I was hoping that they would come up with something like Undead Nightmare for GTA V single player. That would be pretty sweet. Imagine a scenario where Michael, Franklin and Trevor had to survive a zombie outbreak in Los Santos and Blaine County. It would be the best spin-off.
I found GTA Online to be the main redeeming quality of GTA V, the story was lackluster and any other activities are more fun in the online mode than on your own.

OT: Xbox is out of action at the moment, looks like I'll miss this one.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Robeltu said:
Adam Jensen said:
I found GTA Online to be the main redeeming quality of GTA V, the story was lackluster and any other activities are more fun in the online mode than on your own.

Wow, are you in the minority there!

I played a handful of team death match rounds and spent a little time in the open world, I think I did one race and deemed it abysmal. Just nothing fun about it.

The story was ok, could have been better.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
omega 616 said:

I played a handful of team death match rounds and spent a little time in the open world, I think I did one race and deemed it abysmal. Just nothing fun about it.

Given that several years later it still has a high player retention, and free updates.....no he's not in the minority. If it feels like he is, this is escapist. A PC dominated, highly critical community where negative feedback outweighs positive significantly. So in this little bubble, you may see him as the minority, but out there in the world, GTAO has been pretty successful.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
omega 616 said:
Robeltu said:
Adam Jensen said:

I played tons of single player GTA 5, and have only just begun with the online mode. Honestly, it's a lot of fun for now, but even after only reaching about level 15 or so the prospect of grinding the various activities until I can even use half the weapons is starting to feel rather daunting.

Aside from that, perhaps this is just the cynic in me, but I can't help but think all this expensive online only content is just a way to incentivize players to pay for those god damn shark cards. Hey, if they didn't want people to be suspicious about such things then maybe they shouldn't have put micro-transactions into the game. It seems rather hypocritical that they've even made fun of micro-transactions with their parody game (Righteous Slaughter 7) yet their own multiplayer allows you to buy in game money. I don't know if that's a type of self deprecation, or whether it's just tone deaf; I can't decide which is worse, either.

Now, I know people will say that you don't have to buy their cash cards, but someone out there is buying them, otherwise they wouldn't be selling them. I can't think of any other reason why they would restrict such content to online only.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
That closing on two years the on line system is still slow to connect, rubbish at match making, and still unreliable, but hey more content. I guess if you just keep piling the content on content you can avoid actually fixing the major problems that interrupt the thing we bought the game for 'the play'.

Rockstar should get a lot of credit for their system to handle griefing and trolling though
Really what system is that. The Vote system that only the player voting can knows what's happening. Just about every other online game that has a player kick vote system announces that a vote is taking place to allow other players to vote, GTAs doesn't which means the vote system is next to useless or the report system that seems to do nothing? You hit report then never hear anything about it ever again, what about the fact that most of the players in the game are so stupid that they don;t actually kick griefers from sessions, or the fact that the server host has no power outside of the lobby to do anything about griefers? The systems in GTA5O are some of the worst I have ever seen in an online game, they leave the player and the game host with next to no power to deal with griefers in a game that is choke full of the wankers.