Update 20 Minutes of Fallout 4 Gameplay Footage Leaked

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Update 20 Minutes of Fallout 4 Gameplay Footage Leaked

Update: At the request of Bethesda, and in compliance with federal regulations, we have removed the video links to the footage, which are in violation of copyright laws, which The Escapist does not condone.

The leaked Fallout 4 gameplay footage contains some pretty heavy story spoilers, so watch at your own risk.

Fallout 4 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/fallout%204?os=%20fallout%204]'s November 10 release date is baring down on us fast, but for those of you who just can't wait, a massive dump of in-game footage has just been leaked. The footage appears to be ripped from the Xbox One version of the game, and contains some pretty heavy story spoilers.

They also reveal the exact function of all of the in-game perks that we saw in the cool perk poster [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142574-Fallout-4-Character-System-Skills-and-Perks] a while ago.

Check out a YouTube mirror of the videos below:

If that video goes down, or if you'd like to see a higher quality version of the videos, here are some direct links to the vid.me files:

Editor's Note: We have removed the links to the video files as per request from Bethesda, and to be in compliance with copyright laws.

Personally, I just quickly skimmed through the videos to see what they are about as a part of my job: I want to have as little spoilers as possible for the game before I play it.

Source: reddit [https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/3r5zpk/spoilers_fallout_4_video_gameplay_leaked_xpost/]

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Meh, I just modded the caps out of Fallout 3 and am still figuring out all neat little doodads that have been added so I will put this game off until it does not cost... 80 fracking dollars, FUCK! Go to hell Bethesda.

Edit: Actually... that is only a dollar fifty more than the real life currency conversions, shit.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Eh... not really that many spoilers.

I mean the entire beginning of the game was allready spoiled in trailers. We all know whats going to happen at the start of fallout 4

And the other half of the video is the guy fighting a bunch of super mutants (who are aparantly alot smaller in boston then they are in vegas and washington) in a wrecked building.

The guy does show off most of the perk list though that you can gain from a level up. And it seems that weapons decay is a thing of the past

All in all not really a big spoiler since he cuts the beginning off when it goes into territory that wasnt spoiled by trailers beforehand and the fight with the super mutants also has no story relevant bits to it.

What i find more disturbing are the comments and people pissing and moaning about how the games graphics look shite.

Are you effing kidding me? Im glad that i will be able to run this game on my oldish rig without it having a meltdown due to over the top unnecesary graphics. Dang graphic whores... ill rather have a good game then another 4 hour game that looks sparkly.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Yikes...that is all I can say with these videos, it looks a little more rough then I expected. The interiors shown here at least open now and don't require loading screens but it looks like they sacrificed interior lighting and shadows to make it happen. The animations also look really mechanical but I guess that is just something to expect from Bethesda since their animation system works across tons of different characters; what is up with the mouth? it looks so strange. Well hopefully the content is where they put their focus because it looks really janky.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Coreless said:
Yikes...that is all I can say with these videos, it looks a little more rough then I expected. The interiors shown here at least open now and don't require loading screens but it looks like they sacrificed interior lighting and shadows to make it happen. The animations also look really mechanical but I guess that is just something to expect from Bethesda since their animation system doesn't involve mocap; what is up with the mouth? it looks so strange. Well hopefully the content is where they put their focus because it looks really janky.
Well if i remember correctly it IS the skyrim engine cranked up.

I guess bethesda went with functionality over aesthetics?

Huh... did i really mentioned functionality when talking about a bethesda game?

Atleast the spoiler vid didnt show any glitches... thought the immortal dog on fire slowly crawling towards the player was a bit disturbing

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Karadalis said:
Well if i remember correctly it IS the skyrim engine cranked up.

I guess bethesda went with functionality over aesthetics?

Huh... did i really mentioned functionality when talking about a bethesda game?

Atleast the spoiler vid didnt show any glitches... thought the immortal dog on fire slowly crawling towards the player was a bit disturbing
It looks like that might be the case that they decided to go the functional direction but even then its not like this game is running on the same hardware as Skyrim. These latest gen consoles should easily be capable of more dynamic lighting and shadows in the interiors, unless of course this literally using the exact same engine as Skyrim which would be a problem all its own.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
I hate these gameplay leaks almost as much as newspapers.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Welcome back Gamebryo engine, what a pleasure to see you again. Well not really, but janky animations and subpar gunplay ho!

These leaks basically confirmed my fears, and apparently the story isn't going to be great if your big quest is

You get cryogenically frozen with your wife and spawn, you wake up, everyone is dead and your wife and thing are missing

I'm also amazed the Super Mutants haven't died out by now considering their means of production is destroyed and they can't breed.

... Don't mind me, the game just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Probably made that readily apparent.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I would get some people being very into it while others dismissing but the overall praise and amazement for something so basic is astounding.

This wouldnt even be impressive in 2010, how the fuck is it now?

I mean, dialog wheels?

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Karadalis said:
What i find more disturbing are the comments and people pissing and moaning about how the games graphics look shite.

Are you effing kidding me? Im glad that i will be able to run this game on my oldish rig without it having a meltdown due to over the top unnecesary graphics. Dang graphic whores... ill rather have a good game then another 4 hour game that looks sparkly.
Even funnier when you realize, they're bitching about the 320 upload on Youtube looking like shit. Not the game's actual graphics.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
So far it looks like a slightly prettier version of Fallout 3 (as in without a shitty green-brown filter over everything) with slightly better gunplay (or just New Vegas' gunplay) - which isn't saying all that much honestly. I can see why Bethesda was reluctant to actually show of gameplay for this.

On the plus side, the perks look fairly decent. Quite a few are just % increases, but there's also a few interesting ones. I'm just wondering how varied they'll stay after a couple of ranks in them. I'm also wondering how impactful perk choices will be on the gameplay.

Though I really do hope Bethesda won't be shoving tons of immortal NPCs in our faces again. I already have a suspicion that the dog is immortal due to it having a whole perk dedicated to the thing and the fact that the worst that happened to the dog in that combat was that it just whimpered and backed away - also casually walking while burning alive.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Halyah said:
Somehow I'm not surprised that there's been leaks already. I'll refrain from watching the footage though. I don't need my expectations of the story writing lowered even further than it is for a Bethesda made game. :p
To be fair, some early copies are already in the wild. I don't know if those are press builds, or just a shipping screwup. Either way, you can already find unboxings of the Pip Boy editions out there, including on Ars Technica. So, my first thought isn't that this must be a pirated copy.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
ShakerSilver said:
So far it looks like a slightly prettier version of Fallout 3 (as in without a shitty green-brown filter over everything) with slightly better gunplay (or just New Vegas' gunplay) - which isn't saying all that much honestly. I can see why Bethesda was reluctant to actually show of gameplay for this.

On the plus side, the perks look fairly decent. Quite a few are just % increases, but there's also a few interesting ones. I'm just wondering how varied they'll stay after a couple of ranks in them. I'm also wondering how impactful perk choices will be on the gameplay.

Though I really do hope Bethesda won't be shoving tons of immortal NPCs in our faces again. I already have a suspicion that the dog is immortal due to it having a whole perk dedicated to the thing and the fact that the worst that happened to the dog in that combat was that it just whimpered and backed away - also casually walking while burning alive.
It's not a Bethesda game until you have people or animals casually ambling around while on fire.

I'm more worried that the dog isn't optional. I don't really want to go into the wastelands dragging one around, if I don't want.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Starke said:
It's not a Bethesda game until you have people or animals casually ambling around while on fire.

I'm more worried that the dog isn't optional. I don't really want to go into the wastelands dragging one around, if I don't want.
Considering there's a perk and achievement for traveling alone, I would say it is optional.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
ShakerSilver said:
Starke said:

Considering there's a perk and achievement for traveling alone, I would say it is optional.
I seriously hope so. Given how hard they're pushing the dog, though... I'm a little worried. Especially since the dog occupies a non-standard party slot in FO3.

Sep 14, 2009
as someone who really didn't care for fallout 3 (but loved new vegas), I actually think this looks alright..but then again, it being ripped from an xbone and being shown via shitty youtube uploads, I'm not sure what the hell people are expecting as far as graphics go.

I do enjoy the colors alot more, that is one thing that bugged the hell out of me in Fallout 3, I just couldn't play it for long periods of time for how ugly it looked aesthetically.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
I am not going to spell doom and gloom about a tiny bit of combat footage but what stood out to me was that the laser pistol sounds were just horrible, they sounded like a balistic weapon, which a laser gun should never do.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
JemothSkarii said:
Welcome back Gamebryo engine, what a pleasure to see you again. Well not really, but janky animations and subpar gunplay ho!

These leaks basically confirmed my fears, and apparently the story isn't going to be great if your big quest is

You get cryogenically frozen with your wife and spawn, you wake up, everyone is dead and your wife and thing are missing

I'm also amazed the Super Mutants haven't died out by now considering their means of production is destroyed and they can't breed.

... Don't mind me, the game just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Probably made that readily apparent.
Yeah, turned out as bad as I thought it would. Oh well, yay for homogenization and lazy storytelling I suppose

fluxy100

May 22, 2010
That's the "Great Perk Tree" that they're scrapping skills for? Like 3/4ths of that was just ability X does 20% more damage, boring.

Also why are the super mutants just green humans now?