Suffragette - Feminism, The Movie

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Suffragette - Feminism, The Movie

Suffragette is a rather dull British period piece that just so happens to be about an important and still-relevant social issue.

Read Full Article

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
AGH! You said the F-word! The comment section is going to turn into a shit storm now, doesn't matter what you said after that, you let the cat out of the bag!

Kind of a shame that the movie seems a bit dry.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
erttheking said:
AGH! You said the F-word! The comment section is going to turn into a shit storm now, doesn't matter what you said after that, you let the cat out of the bag!

Haha! I was thinking the same thing. Brace yourselves...

*tumbleweed*

OT: Of course Helena Bonham Carter is in it; she is a little unstickable from British period films. Maybe a cyberpunk dystopia? Space pirate adventure? No, pirates can still be linked back.
I don't know if i can see much more injustice lately, please tell me there is a happy ending, righhhht? LikeDogville, though that really was left until the last minute. It was a tough watch, considering the lack of any set.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
MarsAtlas said:
So basically this movie is going to be seen mostly by middle-schoolers in history class four years from now?

Man we're going through a drought at the moment.
spectre was last week. even if most reviewers hated it it's not exactly drought material

Jan 12, 2012
The women she befriends are: Edith (Helena Bonham Carter), Emily (Natalie Press), and Violet (Anne-Marie Duff), among other less important individuals. Of these four, only Emily is a real person, and she's been included because of a sacrifice she made for the cause that caused at least one individual in the cinema to let out a massive gasp.
It is really necessary to try to obfuscate Emily Davison? It's a famous story.

OT: It's a shame so many of these movies are so flat. I want to blame the nature of message movies, where they only have a couple of hours to fit in their message and they can't find space to develop the characters and place things in context, but there are so many good examples that I have to acknowledge that it's the writers who turn it into a long Heritage Minutes scene.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
MarsAtlas said:
So basically this movie is going to be seen mostly by middle-schoolers in history class four years from now?

Man we're going through a drought at the moment.
Pffft, are you kidding? Considering this day and age we're in, the subject matter alone means this is going to win at least one Oscar. :p

OT: I think it might have been Jimmy Kimmel back in the days of The Man Show, but I recall some comedian talk-show host going around New York City with a petition to "End Women's Suffrage" to prove a point that no one even knows what "Women's Suffrage" even means. Sure enough, the overwhelming majority of random jackasses on the street happily signed the petition, thinking they were standing up for women's rights by doing so. :p

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
RJ 17 said:
OT: I think it might have been Jimmy Kimmel back in the days of The Man Show, but I recall some comedian talk-show host going around New York City with a petition to "End Women's Suffrage" to prove a point that no one even knows what "Women's Suffrage" even means. Sure enough, the overwhelming majority of random jackasses on the street happily signed the petition, thinking they were standing up for women's rights by doing so. :p
No, the funniest part of it was the majority of signatories were women and almost the entirety of them called themselves feminists in some manner.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Thunderous Cacophony said:
The women she befriends are: Edith (Helena Bonham Carter), Emily (Natalie Press), and Violet (Anne-Marie Duff), among other less important individuals. Of these four, only Emily is a real person, and she's been included because of a sacrifice she made for the cause that caused at least one individual in the cinema to let out a massive gasp.
It is really necessary to try to obfuscate Emily Davison? It's a famous story.
In the UK, perhaps. Not that most Americans could name many American suffragettes or have much knowledge of the movement outside of "that happened". Don't underestimate how little your average American knows about history.

OT: It's a shame so many of these movies are so flat. I want to blame the nature of message movies, where they only have a couple of hours to fit in their message and they can't find space to develop the characters and place things in context, but there are so many good examples that I have to acknowledge that it's the writers who turn it into a long Heritage Minutes scene.
It's very difficult to both inform and entertain. Most of these movies want to inform first and foremost. Other movies, like Lincoln or Selma for example, make telling a compelling, personal, grounded story first and if you learn something along the way, it's incidental. It helps if you focus on one event over a short period of time rather than many over a large period of time. Even Selma had some awkward scenes where it pulled away from the main compelling narrative so the characters can explain Jim Crow laws for all the kids watching it in history class.

It seems like Sufragette may have tried to tell a real narrative, but it wasn't super successful because it may have tried to do too much.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
So did they feel it necessary to tackle the white feather movement?
I mean according to the synopses of this she did work with that rather unsightly Pankhurst, how very openly supported and worked for the movement, along with a great many suffragettes, radical nationalists and frankly arseholes.
come to think of it the matter of ww1 was rather important for the cause of woman's suffrage.
The causalities that it brought from what I hard being one of the reasons they expanded it, i think they threw in the matter of allowing men who were in the lower age ranges of conscription the vote too but I don't believe so.
It would have helped liven things up if that was the case.
Also I find it odd that they preface it with the man runs everything.
Not sure how that works, form what my older relatives have led me to believe Anglo households have the woman running things, to the point that we always address the family by the matriarch as the central head. and this goes back a while. But we were also farmer stock, she's one of the run down, cityfolk.

Also as an aside do the police officers really end up beating them during one of the earlier scenes?
Was that a thing, i mean bully for the cops but I distinctly remember the temperance movement being unopposed when they would destroy private property, I mean maybe it's an British verses America thing but it seems weird.
Perfectly reasonable for the cops to beat up rioters for the day, just from what I know not women

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
erttheking said:

If you want to see those kind of comments and threads the imdb forum for the movie is rife with them.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
I'll admit this makes it sound better then I thought it would be given how poorly even feminists have been acting towards the movie.

I always did find it hilarious some people where under the impression the Suffragettes had some sort of noteworthy sacrifice done for their cause, given how only one of them died (by accident in an act worthy of a Darwin Award) in a time where a few factory workers being killed for trying to form a union. I guess it's the typical mysticism we add to events that are well documented, much as the Boston Massacre had a whopping 6 people die in it yet it was seen as some massive atrocity.

EDIT: an interesting video on the matter.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Pluvia said:
Is the tl'dr of that video "The suffragette movement happened, then WW1 happened, so it was put on hold as woman came to work in factories and then the country realised that women could actually pull their weight due to their massive input in WW1"?
No, the TL;DR of the video is a basic history of the White Feather campaign and how many soldiers where shamed by it, and that at the time of the war a full half of those fighting in the British Army where ineligible to vote.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Pluvia said:
The comments on the video seem to suggest this was a feminism thing but a quick check shows it was started by a far-Right nationalist Admiral which quickly gained support throughout the empire.
Just because a far right nationalist comes up with an idea doesn't change the fact it was far left feminists who accepted and implemented it, though you'd know that if you actually watched the video.
I don't see the relevance of not being able to vote though.
Yes, a movement of people trying to get their group to be able to vote shaming another group into going off the fight and die in a pointless conflict on the pretext that their right to vote means they have responsibility to society despite most of them not in fact having the right to vote has no relevance.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Pluvia said:
It was the entire empire. Nice try on the historical revisionism to try and fit your narrative though.
I don't see how it being adopted throughout the empire changes the fact the far right and far left worked togther on it, with the far right conceiving it and the far left implementing it.
It was the empire that got people to fight in the war, not feminism.
I didn't realize Suffragettes where not feminists.
Of all the things I thought I'd hear feminism blamed for, it wasn't WW1. I honest to god laughed out loud by how bizarre that was, I mean my god. I mean this is like blaming feminism for the Nazi's. I wish that was a hyperbole.
Good think literally no one is blaming feminism for WW1 then, because no one at all on any side of the argument here has stated or even implied that except for yourself.