Dragon Quest VII and VIII 3DS Remakes Coming to North America

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Dragon Quest VII and VIII 3DS Remakes Coming to North America

The 3DS remakes of Dragon Quest VII and VIII will be coming to North America sometime in 2016.

While gamers in North America would develop a taste for JRPGs like Final Fantasy, other pillars of the subgenre have often struggled outside of Japan. Dragon Quest for instance, despite being the granddaddy of JRPGs in general, has never really established itself as well as its developers and publishers would like. The franchise, in turn, has often had an inconsistent release record in this region. A number of games have never come this way and, realistically, probably never will. That being the case, a recent announcement from Nintendo should make more than a few Dragon Quest fans happy in the coming year.

Speaking last night during its latest online Nintendo Direct event, company representatives revealed that the 3DS re-releases of Dragon Quest VII and VIII will both be coming to North America next year. "The line-up of RPGs on Nintendo 3DS continues to grow with classic games Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140777-Dragon-Quest-VIII-Port-Announced-for-3DS>Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King," said Nintendo in a press release following the Direct event. "Both remastered titles are coming in 2016."

While this announcement doesn't include any specific release dates for the games, we're willing to bet that fans will just be excited for them to be coming to this region at all. Despite receiving fairly positive reviews, the DS remakes of Dragon Quest IV, V and VI weren't exactly hits in North America. Their disappointing sales left Square Enix, perhaps understandably, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137211-Square-Enix-May-Not-Release-Dragon-Quest-VII-3DS-in-North-American-Because-of-Localization-Costs>apprehensive about investing in localization efforts for future re-releases from the series. Who knows? Maybe <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133397-Square-Enix-Recommitting-to-JRPGs-After-Bravely-Defaults-Success>the success of traditionally styled JRPGs like Bravely Default convinced the publisher to give Dragon Quest another chance. Whatever inspired this decision, we're not complaining.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Best news of the day. I had honestly given up on seeing 7.

Waiting til summer, though... it's been so long already.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
Already played both. I'm curious to see if they will bring over Rocket Slime 3 and Theatrhythm as well.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I really loved Dragon Quest IX, which was the first none-pokemon JRPG I ever bought. I'll definitely look at getting one or both of these.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I don't understand how no news site actually makes a compilation of the Nintendo directs instead of splitting all the news and putting them out so late.
The TP HD remake was written during the Direct, Pokemon as well, Cloud news was written shortly after the Direct and then this one is written like a day later.

Make a single news article with several pages, each page dedicated to one bigger news and all the smaller news in one page. Easier for the reader and the writer.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
BiH-Kira said:
I don't understand how no news site actually makes a compilation of the Nintendo directs instead of splitting all the news and putting them out so late.
The TP HD remake was written during the Direct, Pokemon as well, Cloud news was written shortly after the Direct and then this one is written like a day later.

Make a single news article with several pages, each page dedicated to one bigger news and all the smaller news in one page. Easier for the reader and the writer.
It has to do with several things. Firstly, our news writers are spread out all around the world and work a variety of hours. I was already finished up for the day when the Nintendo Direct went live last night and, the other writers available at the time might not have had time to cover every story that emerged from the Direct. This probably wasn't covered initially because the writers available had limited time to work with.

More importantly though, compiling all of the reveals into a single encompassing Nintendo Direct news story honestly wouldn't be as convenient for readers as you suggest. Let's say we write a such a story and call "Nintendo Direct Reveals for 11/12/2015!" Unless you're a dedicated Nintendo fan, you might ignore that because you don't already know what's been revealed. Splitting the stories up, however, allows us to deliver more specific pieces of information to readers who might be interested in individual franchises as opposed to entire brands. Some people might want to know everything Nintendo has coming up, but others might be interested in just Super Smash Brothers or, in my case, Dragon Quest VII/VIII. :)

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Interesting thing is with this release now every DQ aside from X and XI (which isn't out yet) has been released overseas in some form on Nintendo systems. Also, this is something that would make gobs of money in no time: Slime Amiibo

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Because Nintendo is dumb with how they name things, I now have to ask before I get excited...

Is this for the 3DS or the NEW 3DS?

Because if it's for the NEW 3DS, I don't have to worry about getting excited to try this game series that I've heard so much about. If it's for the 3DS, then I can go ahead and keep an eye on this...

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
I liked DQ 8, but I didn't like playing DQ 8. I couldn't stop thinking, "I wish I could just watch this as a movie."

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
Because Nintendo is dumb with how they name things, I now have to ask before I get excited...

Because if it's for the NEW 3DS, I don't have to worry about getting excited to try this game series that I've heard so much about. If it's for the 3DS, then I can go ahead and keep an eye on this...
These two games can be played on the Nintendo 3DS. The only NEW 3DS exclusive if Xenoblade Chronicles 3D afaik.

LittleMikey

Renegade
Aug 31, 2009
OuendanCyrus said:
Already played both. I'm curious to see if they will bring over Rocket Slime 3 and Theatrhythm as well.
Wait, they released a sequel to Rocket Slime? Why wasn't I informed of this?!

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
tippy2k2 said:

Wait, there's a new 3ds? Do you mean to tell me that Dragonquest and Fireemblem may be exclusive to some new handheld I've never even heard of? And that Nintendo was stupid enough to botch another release?

*flips table, loses shit*

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Fox12 said:
tippy2k2 said:

Wait, there's a new 3ds? Do you mean to tell me that Dragonquest and Fireemblem may be exclusive to some new handheld I've never even heard of? And that Nintendo was stupid enough to botch another release?

OuendanCyrus (see above post) has assured me that the only game (currently) for JUST the NEW 3DS is Xenoblade Chronicles..

Whether that will remain the case or not is to be seen...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S1LRX3W?keywords=New%203DS&qid=1447541535&ref_=sr_1_1&s=videogames&sr=1-1

So now every time there is a new 3DS game announcement, I have to ask that question because Nintendo is dumb.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
tippy2k2 said:
Fox12 said:
tippy2k2 said:

OuendanCyrus (see above post) has assured me that the only game (currently) for JUST the NEW 3DS is Xenoblade Chronicles..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S1LRX3W?keywords=New%203DS&qid=1447541535&ref_=sr_1_1&s=videogames&sr=1-1

So now every time there is a new 3DS game announcement, I have to ask that question because Nintendo is dumb.
Ugh, I want to like Nintendo, but they make it really really hard sometimes.

I'll definitely play this, assuming it's available. The 3ds has built a pretty robust library.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
Fox12 said:
tippy2k2 said:

Think about it this way, the 3DS versions were released before the new 3DS was released.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
tippy2k2 said:

Fox12 said:
tippy2k2 said:

DQVII came out before the new 3DS released and DQVIII came out for the normal 3DS. Calm thy selves. The real reason these games took so freaking long to localize is because Square for some reason has no faith in JRPG's and Nintendo has to personally localize and finance said localizing themselves (Same with Bravery Default). You'd think the company who is primarily known for JRPGs would have more faith in them but who knows. Incidentally, this "we'll haul the localization" is primarily why Square Enix and Nintendo have been so buddy-buddy lately and I have no doubt that this is why Square has been so friendly with Nintendo.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
I'm very happy both come over to Europe as well. I will definately buy them even though I completed DQ8 with both endings on the PS2.

I understand that Squareenix was reluctant to release, but man... it's Dragon Quest. If you talk about classic JRPGs this and the earlier Final Fantasy games would be my first reference. So glad my collection will be completed one day. Well, at least from DQ 1 to 9, but that'll keep me busy for quite a while.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
DQ7 was good but DQ8 is a truly great game. For all the talk that JRPGs are about whiny emo teenagers, DQ8 has a brilliant story with great characters, plus a huge epic world and tons of content.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
They got me at Dragon Quest remakes. Then they lost me at 3DS.

FINE have all the fun without me because I'm not going to play on some tiny screen little thing let alone buy one.