EA Announces A Real American Videogame

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Announces A Real American Videogame

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra [http://www.ea.com], the live-action movie coming to theaters this summer.

Developed by EA Hasbro, the G.I. Joe movie game will pick up where the upcoming film ends, giving players a chance to "re-create and re-live the greatest moments from the film, cartoon series and action figure toy line." Players will have access to 12 G.I. Joe characters with unique abilities and weapons in single-player and two-player co-op gameplay.

"G.I. Joe has been an icon of action for 45 years," said Mark Blecher, Hasbro's General Manager of Digital Gaming and Media. "EA has tapped the legacy of the G.I. Joe vs. Cobra saga to create an amazing interactive experience inspired by the movie, comic books, animated series and iconography that we hope will resonate with millions of fans."

"EA is excited to play a major role in bringing this icon of pop culture history to a new generation of enthusiasts through interactive gaming," added EA Hasbro [http://hasbro.ea.com/] General Manager Chip Lange. "G.I. Joe offers exceptionally rich storylines and a cast of characters that lends itself incredibly well to creating an over-the-top action adventure video game that will thrill gamers as well as G.I. Joe fans."

I don't recall "exceptionally rich storylines" figuring prominently in the G.I. Joe formula but product tie-ins run wild certainly has, and even though videogame adaptations of crappy summer blockbusters is nothing new Joe's long history of crossover products makes it feel more organic than most. The movie will probably suck and the videogame will almost certainly be worse, but it's G.I. Joe and somehow that makes it seem alright. And who knows? If we're lucky, maybe we'll get some cool new lunchboxes out of the deal.

G.I Joe: The Rise of Cobra: The Videogame Based on the Movie Based on the Cartoon Series Based on the Action Figures based on the Toys That Debuted in the Mid-60s is scheduled for release in summer 2009. For more information, go to gijoe.ea.com [http://gijoe.ea.com].

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
The title gives me all the explaination I need, another game that has potential but will be rushed to coincide with the release date of the movie, unfortunate.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
I'm having a hard time thinking of any good games that are made based off a movie. So sadly enough, this DEFINITELY doesn't feel like a trend-breaker. Especially since it's EA.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
I'm so very disappointed in you, Andy.

An entire post informing us all about GI Joe, and yet... NOWHERE did you use "And knowing is half the battle."

For shame

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
CantFaketheFunk said:
I'm so very disappointed in you, Andy.

An entire post informing us all about GI Joe, and yet... NOWHERE did you use "And knowing is half the battle."

For shame
Sorry man, that's non-canon.

Ripshot

Aug 5, 2008
oh EA, you and your ideas

I don't think this will go smoothly for any parties involved

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
This game could be absolutely horrible, but I think I am sold on this line alone.

Players will have access to 12 G.I. Joe characters with unique abilities and weapons in single-player and two-player co-op gameplay.
As long as Storm Shadow is playable, I'll be a happy nostalgic kid playing GI Joe with my friends in the sandbox.

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
dekkarax said:
How will that work? No one ever dies in G.I. Joe, ever
Not true.....depending on the media.

In the cartoon, you would be correct, but that's more or less based on American Standards and Practices for afterschool programming in the 70's and 80's. (most animated characters don't die during certain time slots...funny-but true)

Now if we're talking comics....although some can argue everyone comes back in the comics eventually....the Devil's Due imprint showed Lady Jaye die quite brutally and thus turned Flint into a diffrent man altogether.

One of Snake Eye's mentor, the Hard Master, died at the hands of Zartan via a bolt from a crossbow or compound bow I believe (Marvel). And I seem to remember Chuckles died under Marvel pages as well. I think Croc Master too, although Serpentor and Dr. Mindbender came back from presumed deaths.

And either Duke or Hawke (I always get them confused) became paralyzed (Devils Due).

But now since IDW is re-booting it...unsure what the status is of the chracters.

But speaking of video games....I actually owned a sweet G.I.Joe game back in the day on my Commodore 64....and I loved it back then. It was made my Epyx back in 1985!!

Oh, God....I'm pathetic at 38.

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
pantsoffdanceoff said:
I'm having a hard time thinking of any good games that are made based off a movie. So sadly enough, this DEFINITELY doesn't feel like a trend-breaker. Especially since it's EA.
Goldeneye for the Nintendo 64?

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
I knew it had to be this from the title alone! Let's hope that they do justice to the old cartoon series!

Dechef

Feb 7, 2008
Malygris said:
"EA has tapped the legacy of the G.I. Joe vs. Cobra saga to create an amazing interactive experience inspired by the movie, comic books, animated series and iconography that we hope will resonate with millions of fans."
Translation: "KA-CHING."

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
Somethingfake said:
pantsoffdanceoff said:
Goldeneye for the Nintendo 64?
Touche.