The Escapist Reviews - 1/144 HG Gundam Barbados

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I love these kinds of things. I have entire shelves filled with Kotobukiya's HMM 1/72 scale Zoids line. Easily totaling $3000AU. It's an expensive hobby, this kind of thing, but I really like it.

buttonsandzips

Jul 12, 2014
I'm waiting for the Hi-Res Barbatos kit (is it even a kit?) or what ever the 1:100 scale line will be called. HG is a great starter line, but the stickers end up being a deal breaker for a lot of fans. Then there's the MG Freedom 2.0 or the new Impulse. Lots of good things coming up for fans of gunpla.

Solkard

Sep 29, 2014
For me, the appeal of Bartabos was that it looked very worn, stripped down, and lanky; a relic war machine from some ancient conflict, similar to the mech in Broken Blade. This model looks all shiny and new, like it was fresh from the factory. Meh.

Defective_Detective

Jul 26, 2010
Solkard said:
For me, the appeal of Bartabos was that it looked very worn, stripped down, and lanky; a relic war machine from some ancient conflict, similar to the mech in Broken Blade. This model looks all shiny and new, like it was fresh from the factory. Meh.
Unfortunately, that's the thing with a model kit. It *literally* is fresh plastic from a model-making factory. However, you could build the model up and paint and weather it to look more worn and war-weathered.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I saw a video review on it and what strike me the most is how articulate the ankle are! The ankle is unique in that its build into a circle shape and the foot within it meaning you can rotate the able from the front view meaing you get a whole lots of posability (like I think you can pose it into Spiderman crawling onto a wall) compared to other HG models!

Granted the downside from looking at the video is that it does require alot of paints to bring out those details and I don't like to get too messeys with the paints.

Still for its cheap est £10 price (it was sold out at the Gundam stands when I went to the London MCM Expo) I may buy it at some point once I build my Transient Gundam. I can wait seeing how there will be more forms of its upgraded form to come.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
The thing about bandais model series that allways amazes me is how cheap they are. 11-13 dollars for that much detail?

Imagine if games workshop would sell their kits for that price? Heck warhammer might have been still a thing...

Plust you need no glue nor have to paint the models (painting is completly optional)

Sadly i only collect UC Zeon mobile suit models so this gundam wont make it onto my shelf

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
So, where were you guys when MG was kill?
Seriously, with the move for more intricate HGs and non-MG 1/100 kits like RE, it just feels like the MG line is dying. The shift towards P-Bandai exclusives doesn't help either.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Nice review, really tempted to add this to my already pretty long Christmas list. Wonder if Barnes n Nobles will have it in stock or if I'll have to get one off the slow boat from Chi- err Japan.
Coruptin said:
So, where were you guys when MG was kill?
Seriously, with the move for more intricate HGs and non-MG 1/100 kits like RE, it just feels like the MG line is dying. The shift towards P-Bandai exclusives doesn't help either.
i doubt the MG line will ever die but I do agree that with the quality of HG gunpla coming out these days it wouldn't surprise me if the MG line started to look more like the PG line in the future, in terms of variety.

Timeless Lavender

Lord of Chinchilla
Feb 2, 2015
That is an awkward title since I am living in Barbados. But it is quite interesting, I always wanted to watch the anime someday.

Hayden_Russell

Aug 11, 2015
The Escapist Reviews - 1/144 HG Gundam Barbados

With Iron-Blooded Orphans in full-swing, we here at the Escapist thought we'd sit down with the 1/144 Gundam Barbados and see if the model is up-to-par with the show!

Read Full Article

Hayden_Russell

Aug 11, 2015
Timeless Lavender said:
That is an awkward title since I am living in Barbados. But it is quite interesting, I always wanted to watch the anime someday.
The anime is actually airing on Daisuki.net currently!

Hayden_Russell

Aug 11, 2015
Objectable said:
How sticker intensive is the kit? Cause I suck at stickers.
There aren't a TON of stickers, but there are still that are pretty much necessary to finishing the look of the model. That is, unless you're willing to paint. For myself, I actually use tweezers or some other kind of small tool to help me place stickers on my models. It allows me to be more precise than I usually could. Hope this helps!