Star Wars Battlefront Mod Makes The Game Look Like A Movie

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Star Wars Battlefront Mod Makes The Game Look Like A Movie

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1007/1007531.png

Star Wars Battlefront already had good graphics, but if screenshots are to be believed, a new mod will make the game look like a movie. Just have a REALLY top end PC.

Star Wars Battlefront has gotten good reviews [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/15009-Star-Wars-Battlefront-Review-Electronic-Arts-and-DICE-s-Space-Ba], mainly for its ability to make you feel you are in the Star Wars universe. But a new mod in the works from modder Martin Bergman (aka Toddyftw) has taken the feel to a whole new level.

Using his previously used for Grand Theft Auto V [http://imgur.com/a/ib8nW], Bergman has taken the game into movie-quality image territory, if the screenshots are to be believed - and right now there is no reason to doubt it. Unfortunately at this point, neither mod is finished and out in the wild, but Bergman said he is on Build 2 of the Battlefront mod at the moment.

Be warned, however, that once the mod is released, Bergman says that the game's framerate will take a major hit, dropping by at least 30-40 FPS, so it is advised that you have a rather high-end PC available to handle the graphics load.

Back in August, while still working on the GTA V Toddyhancer, Bergman said [https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=747509058694560&id=746074985504634] that he will release the mod when he "feels ready." So we can assume the same to be true for the Battlefront mod.

Until then, take a look at the images and see what you think.

[gallery=5083]

Source: Martin Bergman imgur [http://imgur.com/gallery/ib8nW]

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Holy crap, those graphics almost make the idea of blowing 80$ plus another 60$ on DLC that should have shipped as part of the base game worth it.

Almost, I still can't get over the downright generic gameplay that is uninspired at best.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
I see a lot of edge detection, and I assume more motion blur?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Install this mod, make Battlefront look gorgeous, get banned by EA for playing with your toys in a way they don't like, RESPECT THEIR CREATIVE VISION.

Or else.

Sarcasm aside, this looks really cool. If I'd bought Battlefront my long suffering 7970 would be quaking in it's boots, Crysis mods were bad enough.

Samsont

Jun 11, 2009
I'd like to see a video of this in motion, because a lot of visual mods like this look fantastic in screenshots, but absolute trash in motion

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Samsont said:
I'd like to see a video of this in motion, because a lot of visual mods like this look fantastic in screenshots, but absolute trash in motion
There is a link in the story to a youtube video of the GTA V mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHujc-XgtF4

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Abomination said:
While the textures and detail looks amazing you just KNOW there'll be all hell of motion blur.
There will be if the similar GTA 5 mod is anything to go by. It's not like there's any texture or model changes, it just seems to be a series of tweaks to DoF, motion blur, colour grading, bloom, etc. I would also be curious to see it in action, because I've seen the GTA 5 screen shots and they look amazing, but the video of it in motion doesn't look nearly as good. It still looks nice, but at full screen, 1080p resolution you really notice just how much the motion blur and exaggerated DoF has to do with it.
It looks like they've carefully hand picked only the best examples of the pre-existing assets to show off with all these filters, so if anything I'm more impressed by how good the base graphics for Battlefront are.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
FirstNameLastName said:
It looks like they've carefully hand picked only the best examples of the pre-existing assets to show off with all these filters, so if anything I'm more impressed by how good the base graphics for Battlefront are.
What's particularly telling is that no stills were produced of faces. What he has shown looks amazing, though.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I don't understand enough about this sort of tech to weigh in sensibly on this, but I suppose there'll be some kind of catch. However, I must admit I'm thoroughly impressed. Those stills really do make the game look like a movie of the "$$$ fuckton" variety.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
I can only dream how good this would make the space battles look.

In fact, that's all anyone can do, thinking about space combat in DICE's Battlefront.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Between the pictures and looking at the GTA V mod: Holy shitballs! I wonder if that requires a massive rig to run.

My hopeful prediction: in 10 years that quality will be standard in the industry.