XCOM 2 Screenshots Head to the Suburbs

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
XCOM 2 Screenshots Head to the Suburbs

Away from the hustle and bustle.

Firaxis has released a new batch of environmental screenshots for XCOM 2. The images depict suburban settings where the occupying alien ADVENT forces have a weaker hold over the hearts and minds of Earth's citizens. Structures shown include residences, a diner, a convenience store, a church, and a decrepit power substation.

[gallery=5111]

XCOM 2 is the sequel to the 2012 series reboot, XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Set twenty years after the alien invasion in a scenario where humanity failed to defend itself, players are tasked with rebuilding the secretive XCOM organization on a new flying fortress and fighting the entrenched aliens in an effort to drive them out.

The game will release exclusively on PC through Steam, scheduled to launch February 5, 2016.

UberPubert

Jun 18, 2012
I was ready for this to be a really boring set of pictures (show us more armor and weapons! where are my MECS?!), and then I remember XCOM2 takes place in an alien controlled near-future.

Some very interesting environments and color palettes on display here, huge visual improvements over the previous installment. The mix of sleek, futuristic vehicles and dilapidated buildings and terrain has some interesting implications; did the aliens offer everyone free new cars for their obedience and let their homes fall into ruin?

Really looking forward to this one.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Am I the only one reminded of the Combine military trains when looking at the 5th picture?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Ah, so many wonderfully peaceful locations that I'll be blowing up in a couple of months. I do like the subtle ways the Advent is seeping in. I'll target them in particular.

tehFozzeY

Aug 23, 2010
Zontar said:
Am I the only one reminded of the Combine military trains when looking at the 5th picture?
Not really. The game does borrow quite a lot from Half-Life 2. I wouldn't go as far as to call that 'ripping off', but the similarities are obvious.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Couldn't be more excited about this. I only pre-order if the previous game was perfect and this one will be pre-ordered.

Firaxis exceeded all of my fanboy expectations with the XCOM reboot doing the almost impossible and producing a BETTER game that the original.

If the procedural map gen is good then it looks like this one will get even more than the 400 hours I put into the first one (+ enemy within + long war)