Report: Just Cause 3 Suffers From 15 Minute Load Times on Console

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Report: Just Cause 3 Suffers From 15 Minute Load Times on Console

Reports are coming in that the Xbox One version of Just Cause 3 suffers from massive memory leaks.

Consoles are having a hard time keeping up with PCs this generation, performance wise, and if a report from NX gamer is to be believed, the just launched Videogamer.com [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/just%20cause%203?os=just+cause+3]) claims that massive memory leaks cause the game to suffer from up to fifteen minute load times, and FPS drops as low as 17 FPS on the Xbox One version of the game.

"You do get incredibly long loading times and if you play more than an hour or so it can actually take nearly 15 minutes to reload a save," NX Gamer's video analysis [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU9fK5LxoTc] claims. "And this just looks like memory leakages where it's clearing out RAM. Some of the AI goes mad, the physics can react really oddly and unfortunately on top of all these problems, the performance with a game that's totally designed around blowing stuff up and having this chaotic... world doesn't perform very well at all.

The same report claims that the game's physics engine is tied to framerate, so when it drops down to 17 FPS it makes you feel like you are "running and turning through treacle."

The report concludes that the bugs are bugs and issues can actually force you to turn the game off and restart it to try and get rid of the memory leaks.

NX Gamer is yet to test the PS4 and PC versions of the game, but users on reddit [https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/3uvth4/just_cause_3_can_drop_to_17fps_on_xbox_one_suffer/] have chipped in to say that the PS4 version has similar problems (though not quite as pronounced) while the PC version runs fine (depending on your hardware).

And here I was thinking that the ~45 second load times in Fallout 4 were incredibly frustrating... I really hope a patch comes to fix this soon!

Source: Videogamer.com [http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/just_cause_3/news/just_cause_3_can_drop_to_17fps_on_xbox_one_suffer_15_minute_load_times_report.html]

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Seriously...what the hell, gaming industry? Do...do you just not even give a damn anymore? Just belch out a game regardless of what condition it's in so you can collect your cash and say "Eh, we'll fix it in post....launch."

EffectiveKill

Feb 22, 2010
RJ 17 said:
Seriously...what the hell, gaming industry? Do...do you just not even give a damn anymore? Just belch out a game regardless of what condition it's in so you can collect your cash and say "Eh, we'll fix it in post....launch."
Not really, most companies would rather launch a broken game at launch and get as many sales as possible from pre-orders and such, and than maybe they will fix the issues in a few weeks.

ddrkreature

Jun 24, 2013
While yeah it will probably get fixed later, later is the problem. The fact that they shipped a product in that state should always be deemed unacceptable. I don't even blame the consoles for this, I blame the devs that said "its good enough." Do they not remember the cluster fuck release that was arkham knight, or the walking lawsuit: battlefield 4? The fact that we should be concerned that a game will even be functional on release is just sad and sickening.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
That review embargo must have saved Squeenix a few lost sales. Good for them. Not so good for the consumer though. Patchy-patchington it is, then! There is a weird trend of protagonists with devices on one (usually left) arm, has no one noticed this? Fallout pip-boy, Just cause hookshot, tales from the borderlands synthetic arm, MGS V utility arm, Blops all arms, including ground arms! Wonder if it is becoming a permament implimentation now.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Meh, I just bought Just Cause 2. If JC3 is JC2 but slightly better then I'll just skip this one out.

Supernova1138

Oct 24, 2011
The memory leak is pretty bad causing glacial loading times is pretty inexcusable. As for the performance problems, those are something console users are likely going to have to deal with for the rest of the generation. Developers want to keep making their games bigger and shinier to the point that their business model depends on doing that, but Sony and Microsoft decided to shove substandard hardware into their consoles that was already obsolete by the time they launched. I think the really slow tablet CPUs are really hurting them, so dropping the resolution might not fix the performance problems, otherwise we might have already seen 720p or lower games come out to ease the load on the GPU.

At the rate things are going, we're going to need a new generation within a couple of years, or Sony and Microsoft are going to have to pull a Sega and start putting add-ons that increase the available processing power, literally putting the PS4 and Xbox One on life support.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
10 second load times max on my PC. And I've tested it many times after face planting Rico into a mountain at 200 miles per hour.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Supernova1138 said:
The memory leak is pretty bad causing glacial loading times is pretty inexcusable. As for the performance problems, those are something console users are likely going to have to deal with for the rest of the generation. Developers want to keep making their games bigger and shinier to the point that their business model depends on doing that, but Sony and Microsoft decided to shove substandard hardware into their consoles that was already obsolete by the time they launched. I think the really slow tablet CPUs are really hurting them, so dropping the resolution might not fix the performance problems, otherwise we might have already seen 720p or lower games come out to ease the load on the GPU.

At the rate things are going, we're going to need a new generation within a couple of years, or Sony and Microsoft are going to have to pull a Sega and start putting add-ons that increase the available processing power, literally putting the PS4 and Xbox One on life support.
God this makes me feel soooo much better about just dropping $300 on a new GTX 970 for my rig instead of bothering with the PS4 although I still can't decide if upgrading from 6 GBs of RAM to 8 would be worth the extra $100 or so.

Regardless it appears JC3 just proved those who advocate against pre-orders right by pulling the X-One version of an Arkarm Knight.

I hope whatever weapon skin they got was worth it!

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
PFFF. It's not like the human eye can see more than 15 fps anyway so I don't see the problem with the drops in frame rate.

An nobody plays more than an hour or maybe two at a time, except for insufferable mustard race proponents.

I think having to wait for 15 minutes after you played an hour just makes the game more cinematic since it represents the breaks for commercials.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Heh. PC gamers complained about the state of Arkham Knight and console gamers were less than sympathetic. Now console gamers are complaining. As a PC gamer, all I can say is; I feel your pain friends.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Xsjadoblayde said:
That review embargo must have saved Squeenix a few lost sales. Good for them. Not so good for the consumer though. Patchy-patchington it is, then! There is a wierd trend of protagonists with devices on one (usually left arm), has no one noticed this? Fallout pip-boy, Just cause hookshot, tales from the borderlands synthetic arm, MGS V utility arm, Blops all arms, including ground arms! Wonder if it is becoming a permament implimentation now.
Guns/swords have traditionally been in the right-hand, so the gadget had to go in the left if it was meant to be used in tandem.

Bioshock seems to have really codified it for the FPS genre though, even the animations in Dishonored and Black Ops 3 look like a copy-paste of Bioshocks.

Was considering Just Cause 3 on my PS4, guess not I suppose.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Dornedas said:
PFFF. It's not like the human eye can see more than 15 fps anyway so I don't see the problem with the drops in frame rate.
Pah! The average plebeian need not any more than 10FPS, why if we allow them any more then we will have to take stock from films and the whole movie industry will have to suffer for it. The needs of the few elite outweigh the privilege of the many.

OT: I actually heard on a few youtube reviews that the game will randomly tank below 30FPS on the PC and stay there for several minutes to an hour. Not just tank mind you, maintain a consistent FPS (like 22) when it does.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
truckspond said:
At least you can easily put an SSD into the PS4 to help with the load time problem.
We don't actually know how the PS4 version works (or doesn't) yet. I mean, I'm not saying it's definitely going to be better, but the Xbone version is the only one tested thus far.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
EffectiveKill said:
RJ 17 said:
Not really, most companies would rather launch a broken game at launch and get as many sales as possible from pre-orders and such, and than maybe they will fix the issues in a few weeks.
Game Company: We sold a million, money billion, money gagillion games. We are the best ever money Everest.

Users: but your game is broken.

Game Company: But we sold money money million billion, God Mode.

User: You made false promises and sold a shitty broken game!!

Game Company: Money? Oh I know, you want DLC with Season Pass and maybe some patches for added money?

User: NO!! You realise you aren't making sense right?

Game Company: Profit!

User: Why do I still bother.

Arcadian Legend

Blame your fate!
Jan 9, 2012
In comparison, on the Wii U's inferior hardware Xenoblade X is running at a super stable 720p30fps which never seems to dip, with the only big load times being when you load a save and enter BLADE HQ with much smaller load times when you fast travel. You can fairly heavily cut these few load times though with 4 install packs that add up to 10GB (they would've been on the game disc itself but there wasn't any space left, Monolith didn't want to go the second disc route as it would ruin their idea of seeamless travel) The game world, while I'm sure can't compare to JC3's in sheer size is still bigger than Skyrim, Fallout 4 and The Witcher 3 combined. You can seamlessly travel between the 5 huge main continents and NLA, including things like alien fortresses or deep cave systems without any load times at all, and it's not like the game world is empty either. The game also seems to have no noticable glitches too.

So if a Wii U open world JRPG can manage that on inferior hardware as well as Monlith's first ever true attempt at a high definition title what the hell is going on with the XB1 and possibly PS4 ports of JC3?! Oh yeah, the post directly above me about sums it up.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Rubblemaker said:
And your point is? This is a thread about performance problems on consoles. It even states already that PC's are fine. So was your post meant to do anything other than gloat? Pay attention people, this post is a textbook example of the PC master race elitist snobbery that does our hobby no favours whatsoever.
Legitimate question for you:

What was your response to PC gamers when they complained about the abysmal launch of Arkham Knight? Were you sympathetic to their plight? Or did you rub it in their faces?

If the former, you have at least a partial leg to stand on with your rather insulting quip against Daemascus, though it was still needlessly rude.[footnote]Especially since his comment wasn't actually directed at anyone in particular, not even console gamers as a whole.[/footnote] If the latter, you're engaging in some textbook hypocrisy.