It's Time to Duel! Witcher 3 Mod Replaces All Combat With Gwent

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
It's Time to Duel! Witcher 3 Mod Replaces All Combat With Gwent

Channel your inner Yu-Gi-Oh! with the Hearts of Card mod for The Witcher 3.

Gwent, the game-within-a-game collectible card game of The Witcher 3 turned out to be quite a bit of fun. People enjoyed it enough to all of the in-game combat with rounds of Gwent [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141155-The-Witcher-3s-Gwent-Recreated-in-Tabletop-Simulator#&gid=gallery_4259&pid=1].

In the appropriately titled Hearts of Card [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/14786-The-Witcher-3-Hearts-of-Stone-Review#&gid=gallery_4872&pid=1] mod, upon dealing or taking damage, it will instantly pull you into a game of Gwent. Your opponent will have a randomized deck, that scales with better cards as you get higher in level. If you win, all enemies within a 30-unit range are slain, and if you lose, you die. Check out the video of it in action above (the actual Gwent part is sped up, so you don't have to sit through a whole game of it).

Right now, the mod is at 0.2 which adds the bare minimum: simply replacing the combat with Gwent. However, the modder has ambitious plans to completely rebalance the entire game around the card game, adding a Gwent-based economy, with a tiered loot system that scales to enemy number and type, special drops for boss encounters and the possibility of booster packs in shops.

The Witcher 3 is a game with so many choices that many people will want to re-play it just to make some different decisions, and what a better way to enjoy your 2nd play-through than with a heavy focus on Gwent?

Source: Kotaku [http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/953/?]

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
The real question now is...

More on topic, this actually sounds pretty cool. I'll probably give it a try once I can pry myself from Fallout 4.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
I THROW FIREBALL IN ATTACK MODE!

Oh god, this is too silly. But glorious!

Sep 14, 2009
I would have NEVER thought this up in my wildest dreams for mods that I would want on witcher 3...

But I must have it.

I'll wait until it's developed more, but it sounds interesting.

edit:

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
crimson5pheonix said:

You can't use a spell card in attack mode that doesn't make any sense.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
That's pretty cool.

This is definitely the sort of thing that makes modding worthwhile. I'll give it a try once I get the game and the mod is developed a little more. (or I can use cheats and build a super awesome deck)

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Thyunda said:
crimson5pheonix said:

You can't use a spell card in attack mode that doesn't make any sense.
You are NO FUN.

Also how do you know it's just a spell? Perhaps it's a sentient ball of fire? DID YOU EVEN CONSIDER THAT?!

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Gwent is great, but the combat of Witcher 3 is better, so I don't know why anyone would really want to completely replace it.

freaper said:
Shit, I might actually have to buy the game now.
Well yeah. At the beginning the game is a little slow-paced which actually put me off at first. But once you move along the quests and start seeing the different environments and cities, it becomes clear that the Witcher 3 is a masterpiece. I would call it a digital wonder of the world, that's how amazing it is.