Linkle May Be Considered for Future Zelda Games

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Linkle May Be Considered for Future Zelda Games

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1002/1002147.jpg

"She doesn't feel out of place at all in the world of the Zelda games."

Last month, Nintendo announced the inclusion of Linkle [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/161420-Linkle-the-Female-Link-Confirmed-for-Hyrule-Warriors-Legends] in the upcoming Hyrule Warriors Legends. In a recent interview with IGN, Zelda series producer Eiji Aonuma indicated that Linkle may be up for consideration in future Zelda games.

"I had a chance to give feedback on Linkle during development, but the satisfying action of using a crossbow, which we developed for the spin-off title Link's Crossbow Training, was implemented this time completely by Koei Tecmo," Aonuma said. "It may feel a little different from other titles in the franchise, but she doesn't feel out of place at all in the world of the Zelda games. I'm sure we will keep her in mind when thinking about future titles."

"We had a great response from fans, especially outside of Japan, who saw Linkle in the Hyrule Warriors premium-box booklet and wanted her to be included in the game," Aonuma said. "Seeing that reaction, Hayashi-san and I talked it over and decided that we would definitely like to include her in the next title. I'm really glad we got the chance to do that with Hyrule Warriors Legends."

Linkle was originally pitched as a sister to Link, but the team ultimately decided against that. Linkle is described as "boundlessly cheerful," kind, and naive, with a poor sense of direction, by Tecmo Koei producer Yosuke Hayashi.

Hyrule Warriors Legends will release on March 25.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
http://40.media.tumblr.com/6b072c97bbb74a3dd91b68566181abf2/tumblr_mws3fcM8Ne1r6l5jbo1_1280.jpg

I'd buy a game with her. That smile on her face just makes her so endearing, she's be a barrel of fun to play as. What can I say? I have a soft spot for sincerely chipper characters.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Link was always pretty damn androgynous anyway. It's not like the story is changed in any significant way by making the PC female.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
I'm sick hype about it
I'd really like to see her in a "legit" zelda game, more than just a non-canon spinoff
though considering her gimmick is crossbows, I'm thinking if it's gonna be a zelda-skinned max payne

spartenX

Oct 2, 2009
interesting to note that most people seem to be assuming that it means they will place her in the protagonist role rather than as a supporting character who happens to look like Link, or possibly shares the spotlight with him.

actually that could be really interesting having her share the spotlight, like maybe they were twins and so when Link was reincarnated he got separated into the twins who each only have part of his experience and training, and so some items and special techniques would be exclusive to one of the two, forcing player to switch between eh two characters on the fly or something. (I think they did something similar with spirit tracks, but I've never played it so I'm not quite sure)

though admittedly, she will probably just be a supporting character rather than a main protagonist.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Could we just call her something beside Linkle? That sounds like tinkle. Not a good thing.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
If I was still into console games or even had a Wii U I'd buy a Zelda game with a female lead in a heartbeat. People complain about reboots needlessly replacing males with females but the Zelda series seems like a perfect fit for the idea.

With all the times Link had been re-born they gotta get the parts wrong at some point.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
WouldYouKindly said:
Link was always pretty damn androgynous anyway. It's not like the story is changed in any significant way by making the PC female.
She isn't just a female link. She has her own design and own mechanics. I think the more inserting aspect would be her crossbows. If they made a full game with her, it might end up like a mix of Zelda and a FPS and that would be neat.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
Eri said:
Could we just call her something beside Linkle? That sounds like tinkle. Not a good thing.
It's probably not a random choice of name. She may be Link's half-sister, a daughter of his mom and Tingle. Note that compass thingie on her neck and that clock thingie on Tingle's.

Just a coincidence? I think not!

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
I haven't followed the LoZ plot too deeply with my only exposure being from Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask (I don't include Ages or Seasons since the plots didn't seem remotely related or canonical), but I would love to play a game dedicated to Linkle's story. Perhaps this is just me superimposing my plot desires, but the thought of playing a game where we have this younger woman going on adventures to be like Link is really enticing. This, of course, is assuming that this character has some personality and isn't a slab of meat like Link seems to be.

Rosiv

Oct 17, 2012
If she was a main character and had dual crossbows in a main LoZ game, that would be weird....

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Sure why not?

Doubt that will shut up the internets tumblr problematic harpies. But perhaps it will breath some fresh air into the stale zelda game formula? Give her some different playstyles and abilities.. make it possible to switch between the two...

Wait a second... isnt that what dinosaur planet (later starfox adventures) was suposed to be?

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I was kind of hoping Zelda would take matters into her own hands one day (especially if it was to save a Link that was coerced or mind controlled to go down the dark side), but I guess Linkle would be fine.

I suppose one reason why Zelda hasn't had her day in the limelight is it would remind Big N of 2/3 of the Unholy Triforce. Now she's got a new girl fighting for the lead in a potential game.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I thought I saw her somewhere before...

EDIT: She's adorable. More of her certainly doesn't hurt.

Buckets

May 1, 2014
They could also have just made Saria a playable character instead of the unnecessary gender switch.
Don't see the point in this PC crap, just to please a bunch of idiots that don't even play video games.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, er, how does Aryll feel about this?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Who knows, maybe her role could be one of those playable characters you can select before you start the game like Chris or Jill in Resi 1.