Lucasfilm Hasn't Given up Hope on Star Wars 1313

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Lucasfilm Hasn't Given up Hope on Star Wars 1313

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1016/1016673.jpg
Lucasfilm is spending a lot of time looking over Star Wars 1313 assets, and certainly doesn't want to throw them out.

One of the biggest casualties of the cancellation of Star Wars 1313 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120408-Disney-Acquires-Lucasfilm], a mature-themed Star Wars action game that would have followed everyone's favorite bounty hunter: Bobba Fett. But don't hang up your jet packs quite yet, as current Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy says her company is spending quite a lot of time looking over 1313 assets, with the possibility of bringing the game back from the dead.

"Our attitude [to Star Wars 1313] is, we don't want to throw any of that stuff away. It's gold. And it's something we're spending a lot of time looking at, pouring through, discussing, and we may very well develop those things further. We definitely want to," Kennedy told Slashfilm [http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-tv-show/].

Before you open up your wallets, keep in mind that in this post-LucasArts world, that statement could mean a lot of things. First up, now that LucasArts has been shut down, EA holds an exclusive licence [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123783-Electronic-Arts-Signs-Exclusive-Star-Wars-Game-Deal-With-Disney] to make Star Wars games, so if we did see 1313 revived in its original form, it would be via EA.

Secondly, in the same Slashfilm interview, Kennedy brought up the also canceled Star Wars live action series: Star Wars Underworld, stating that she would also like to revive that. It's quite possible a lot of 1313 concepts could get rolled into an Underworld revival, or even a stand-alone movie a-la Star Wars: Rogue One [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140093-Star-Wars-2016-Standalone-Flick-Will-Be-Called-Rogue-One].

I would cross my fingers for it being revived in game form, but after having played Battlefront [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/15009-Star-Wars-Battlefront-Review-Electronic-Arts-and-DICE-s-Space-Ba]... I think I would settle for a stand-alone movie...

Source: Slashfilm [http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-tv-show/]

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
1313 is possibly coming back? Excellent! That game did sort of die rather unceremoniously without being given a chance. Boy, if it does return and we get to play through it then I-

Steven Bogos said:
EA holds an exclusive licence [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123783-Electronic-Arts-Signs-Exclusive-Star-Wars-Game-Deal-With-Disney] to make Star Wars games, so if we did see 1313 revived in its original form, it would be via EA.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I don't really want an EA developed Star Wars 1313. If they could give it to the old Bioware (ME 1/2) team I'd be all over it.

But when did it become a Boba Fett story? It had looked like a Kyle Katarn like Original Character. :( Hearing it's a Boba Fett story is just depressing.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Ukomba said:
I don't really want an EA developed Star Wars 1313. If they could give it to the old Bioware (ME 1/2) team I'd be all over it.

But when did it become a Boba Fett story? It had looked like a Kyle Katarn like Original Character. :( Hearing it's a Boba Fett story is just depressing.
Supposedly the characters you see in the demo were just placeholders, like that original video demoing force powers that eventually evolved into Force Unleashed.

Which is a shame. It seems like a lot of the new EU is focused on existing characters like the Vader, Leia and Lando comics. I don't care about Boba Fett or Darth Maul, I want to see new stories with original characters. It's a big universe after all.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Yeah, no. It might as well be dead if EA has the reins. It would be better off that way.

Bobba Fett.

"Dang it, Bobba!"

Man, how many origin stories does Boba need? Even before Episode II came along the old Expanded Universe threw around three or four different possible backstories. All for a guy who spent 90% of the time just standing around, 5% getting his ass whupped by Luke and the remaining 5% becoming a sand vagina's lunch.

Say what you will about the prequels, but at least Jango Fett actually did cool shit. Not many non-Force users can engage a Jedi Knight in hand-to-hand combat and survive.

TelosSupreme

Dec 8, 2015
I'm as disappointed about seeing 1313 canceled as much as the next Star Wars fan. Hell, I'm still bitter over Disney closing down LucasArts with no real reason whatsoever. However, I'd rather see this game stay dead than end up in the dirty claws of EA and their ilk. If this game comes back, two things are guaranteed to happen that will very likely ensure it being completely disappointing:

1) EA will produce it, and look how well they handled Battlefront for crying out loud.
2) It will not be rated M, Disney and all that.

I know some people might find it silly that I'd be interested in 1313 for its M-rating, but that's kind of what makes it so interesting. This would be the first M-rated Star Wars game and the team had talked about how they wanted to use it for good, narrative maturity, rather than just for gore and whatnot. Unless Disney lets another dev or internal team handle the title, count me out again.

Also, slightly off-topic, but just wanted to say hi to y'all on the forums! Been reading Escapist for a few years now and finally decided to join this week.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Wait, that was going to be a Bobba Fett... thing.

Man, my interest just went from zero to minus five.

God forbid they try anything interesting. Nope, gotta talk more about the one guy with a bucket on his head.

the.chad

Nov 22, 2010
Neverhoodian said:
Say what you will about the prequels, but at least Jango Fett actually did cool shit. Not many non-Force users can engage a Jedi Knight in hand-to-hand combat and not survive.
Love the moment @2:42 where Jango bumps his head :)

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
I don't give two hoots about 1313, just let me find Sev.

Namehere

Forum Title
May 6, 2012
EA? So what you mean to say is: "Even if this game gets made, it's by a company that you personally won't buy from for more reasons at this point then you can properly remember." Right? Yea...

Look I'm not actively boycotting EA or anything... but Origin will not touch my hard drive, and the games they put out before that... 'program' had such bad DRM they didn't touch my hard drive either. EA is, to me at least, radioactive. So anything they do isn't touched. I won't take their games for free as a result of Origin. So basically what you've told me is that there are no more Star Wars games.

Oh well?

Remember people: Vote with your wallet! And letter writing campaigns! As a Canadian I endorse letter writing! We do it all the time up here.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
It'll be EA title. EA titles are never good these days. They're either FTP you have to pay for for some reason, either MMO which is (for some reason) called single-player RPGs, or sportsims. So I see no need to care.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Awwww no... why couldn't Naughty Dog get ahold of it?? I would have shelled out solid cash for "Uncharted: A Space Opera". I fear EA will take those 1313 assets and just stamp them on a Battlefront map, and that'll be that.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Reading that it was supposed to be a Boba Fett origin story just killed what interest I had left in this game. I do like Boba, but I would have preferred original characters.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Going to throw my hat in with the crowd saying a new character would be more interesting.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
As the man from the Stephen King novel said, "Sometimes dead is better."

Sep 14, 2009
Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy says her company is spending quite a lot of time looking over 1313 assets, with the possibility of bringing the game back from the dead.

"Our attitude [to Star Wars 1313] is, we don't want to throw any of that stuff away. It's gold. And it's something we're spending a lot of time looking at, pouring through, discussing, and we may very well develop those things further. We definitely want to," Kaennedy told Slashfilm.
wtf, they couldn't have done this with battlefront 3?!?!? there was already *legit* alpha footage of a working game, god dammit.

as others, now that I'm seeing this be a boba fett game, I've lost alot of interest..

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Considering EA has sat on the Star Wars license for two years and shat out only one whole (half-baked no singleplayer) game in that time makes me think if this ever does see the light of day, it will be years down the line.