What Kind of Dev Are You?

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008

I've spoken to corporate and it's time we cut you.

Read Full Article

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
albino boo said:
Err its the same drawing at last time!
This isn't just your computer, I'm seeing "The Long Con" as well.

Jan 12, 2012
Souplex said:
albino boo said:
Err its the same drawing at last time!
I guess 'The Long Con' was a meta-joke on us.

Taking the title, follow-up text, and (mis)comic, I like to think that the Moira Kickstarted the Survival Guide, and had to rush out a final copy riddled with errors because she was tired of people calling her 'Star Citizen'.

On the topic of that blurb, though, there's a difference between a publisher doing yearly releases, and a Kickstarted project meeting deadlines. Both of them chose the time frame that they considered reasonable to complete the project. For EA, they clearly have picked a schedule that's too ambitious, and scaling back the volume of Assassin's Creed games would allow them to actually address bugs before the game gets to market (and even toy around with making entirely new aspects of the gameplay, instead of small variations on a theme).

For Kickstarted projects, they know that the consumer expects it within a certain window of handing the money over, and they almost always have a projected date when it will be ready. If you ask for X money, promise to use it to make Y product and have it to us by Z time, people get suspicious when you start changing those variables, because they get worried that the money they've already invested is never going to come back to them. I agree with the general stance that the best way to avoid that is only giving to Kickstarters for finished products.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Souplex said:
Hartland said:
Is it just me or did they upload the same comic again? (Hopefully by mistake...)
Glad it isn't just me. I believe this is an artistic representation of the current meeting between ffronw and Wooster

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
The Wooster said:

I've spoken to corporate and it's time we cut you.

Read Full Article
You put up the wrong comic.

YOU GUYS HAD ONE JOB.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Don't you guys get it? The "What kind of Dev are you?" question mixed with using the same comic is obviously a stance on the blandification of our industry! AAA games just spitting out the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again while doing no real innovation! Open your eyes Sheeple!!!

#PoliticalCommentary
#Gamergate
#YouMadBro?
#MindBlown
#CardGamesonMotorcycles
#NoUnderpants
#BlameKross
#Getonmylevel
#JugglingCatswithChainsaws

EDIT: Now that the actual comic is up, that absolutely makes sense. Everyone's 100% on board with gambling away money when it's not their money that is being gambled...

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
Don't you guys get it? The "What kind of Dev are you?" question mixed with using the same comic is obviously a stance on the blandification of our industry! AAA games just spitting out the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again while doing no real innovation! Open your eyes Sheeple!!!

#PoliticalCommentary
#Gamergate
#YouMadBro?
#MindBlown
#CardGamesonMotorcycles
#NoUnderpants
#BlameKross
#Getonmylevel
#JugglingCatswithChainsaws
You forgot #FucKonami. :p

OT: Damn you! I NEED MY SILLY GAMING INDUSTRY COMMENTARY!

Edit: Yay! The actual comic is up now! Funny that this would be the topic as I just listened to Total Biscuit's podcast yesterday and they spend a good amount of time talking about how Tim Schafer is a fucking prick for exactly this reason: at best he's a monumental failure at money management. At worst he's an incompetent liar. :p

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
In case you didn't figure it out yet:
EVERY DEVELOPER underestimates the time they take to produce and QA!

TheBigOne0305

Sep 19, 2014
So basically Tim Schafer wasting Bobby Kotick's money vs. Tim Schafer wasting the backer's money? And as a consumer, I don't care about Kotick's money, but I do care about my own[footnote]Disclaimer: I have not invested any money in Shafer's projects. I like my money too much to shovel it into a furnace that instead of delivering warmth only delivers disappointment.[/footnote] ;)

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Oh, damn, I actually never really saw how hypocritical that argument is...

I never got too upset whenever a KS game has pushed back it's deadline or asked for more money, but this really does put it in context, huh?

ColdinT

Apr 8, 2009
Thing is. I wasn't really that upset about Double Fine Adventure going over budget or past deadlines. I was upset that it wasn't a classic adventure game in the same vein as Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle. Instead we got the more watered down adventure game where puzzles are rather basic and just require you to use a limited out of items on everything you see, and the storyline is completely linear. And it all ended up in a lackluster ending with no real payoff for the effort and a final puzzle solution that was convoluted and unsatisfying.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
The Wooster said:
I generally don't give to Kickstarters that aren't simply final production costs for finished projects. Not because I dislike the system - I actually think its responsible for the niche-genre revival of the last couple of years - or because of TEH BIAS, but because I don't like to be invested, emotionally or financially in a story/game/product so long before its final release. I avoid early access games for similar reasons. I don't want to see your weird, greasy skeleton of a game, I want to see it when it's done.
That's why I don't see crowdfunding as an investment; but as charity. That money is as good as gone; and receiving a game for it at the end is a bonus, not a given. Of course, I won't give money if I don't trust they will actually use it for the project that they are presenting, or if the project isn't even feasible. The only crowdfunding I have participated is the OUYA's... oh, and Grey and Cory's Patreon.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Aww, what's the matter Grey? Still upset that Schafer proved Kotick right?

Besides the answer to both panels is "A self righteous prick who thinks that money should be given to him for "reasons", otherwise known as "a pitch to run away from really fast".

Demagogue

Sperm Alien
Mar 26, 2009
TheBigOne0305 said:
So basically Tim Schafer wasting Bobby Kotick's money vs. Tim Schafer wasting the backer's money? And as a consumer, I don't care about Kotick's money, but I do care about my own[footnote]Disclaimer: I have not invested any money in Shafer's projects. I like my money too much to shovel it into a furnace that instead of delivering warmth only delivers disappointment.[/footnote] ;)
This... You are comparing the consumer in two different roles for the scenarios. In one we are simply the consumer. We care about the finished product and most of the time will defend the Developer from the Publisher to get a good game rather than a game on time, money be damn.

The other we are the financial investors, we put X amount of dollars towards a project with the anticipation of Y in Z timeframe. When Y or Z start changing then that impacts X.

In reality, it should have bee more like:

[table border="3" cellpadding="1"]
[tr][td]Thought Matrix[/td][td]Backed by a Publisher[/td] [td]Backed by Kickstarter[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]What Publishers Think:[/td][td]You're a Horrible DEV![/td] [td]Who are you again?[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]What Consumers Think:[/td][td]Screw Corp's Bottom line[/td] [td]You're a Horrible DEV![/td][/tr]

[/table]

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Anybody trying to sell that "Tim Schafer takes the time to get it right" slop ought to have a look at Space Base DF-9's Steam reviews.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I've been saying this for a while. I don't think Tim really did anything that wrong. He eventually delivered the game he promised, after all.

Nothing changed. Kickstarter simply removed the curtain hiding the creative process, revealing all the ugly grease and stains that go into making a game. Guess what, guys? The creative process is messy, and there's no guaranteed way to know how long it will take you to complete a project. That's why I was fine with Red Ash, and that's why I'm fine with psychonauts 2.