Star Trek Beyond Trailer Has Enterprise Going Down in Flames

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Star Trek Beyond Trailer Has Enterprise Going Down in Flames

The third installment of the rebooted Star Trek movies is coming July 22, and Paramount has decided to give fans an early holiday treat with the first trailer for Star Trek Beyond.

With J.J. Abrams doing his Star Wars thing, the rebooted Star Trek films get Justin Lin's direction for the third movie Star Trek Beyond. And, with the release of a first trailer, it has a Fast and Furious feel to it.

The main cast and crew all make their return in time to see the Enterprise destroyed by what appears to be a swarm of thousands of small ships (thanks, Zontar [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.913788-Star-Trek-Beyond-Trailer-Has-Enterprise-Going-Down-in-Flames#23239917&gid=gallery_5202&pid=1]). The crew gets scattered and the movie seems to follow them as they try to reunite. Idris Elba takes on the mantle of the newest Star Trek villain, hardly recognizable in alien makeup. And Kingsmen: The Secret Service's Sofia Boutella shows up as a friendly alien with similar markings to a white-faced Darth Maul.

The screenplay is written by Doug Jung and Simon Pegg, who plays Scotty in the rebooted films. From the trailer it looks like much of the movie will be more planetside than previous films, perhaps an attempt to be less techy and more appealing to the masses [http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2015/may/19/simon-pegg-criticises-dumbing-down-of-cinema].

"They had a script for Star Trek that wasn't really working for them," Pegg said in an interview earlier this year. "I think the studio was worried that it might have been a little bit too Star Trek-y."

He said the goal of this script was to "make a western or a thriller or a heist movie, then populate that with Star Trek characters so it's more inclusive to an audience that might be a little bit reticent."

Add in the direction of Lin, who did Fast & Furious 6, and we get a film that may have more of a film that recalls the James T. Kirk shows of the 60's than the recent shows or films. The timing couldn't be better for that, though, as next year marked the 50th anniversary of original the TV series.

[gallery=5202]

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
the Enterprise destroyed by what appears to be a meteor shower.
Looked more like a swarm of small ships or missiles to me.

"They had a script for Star Trek that wasn't really working for them," Pegg said in an interview earlier this year. "I think the studio was worried that it might have been a little bit too Star Trek-y."
You know it's a bad sign when a problem a movie has it that it's too much like exactly what it's supposed to be like. I mean seriously, could it even be done to make it more apparent this is a lazy cash grab that had no one in the critical roles even attempting to make a good movie? Because Pegg seems to be the highest one on the totem pole who has given a singly shit about these movies. The director of this and the previous two monstrosities openly didn't care and made no attempt to hid this fact, and the best we got was a full one in three writers even being competent. Watching Into Darkness there's really no need to try and guess which scenes where written by the lone good writer in the mix vs the two incompetent buffoons who show that in some cases outcome is inversely proportional to skill.

God damn did this trailer and all the news relating to it piss me off.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
So it's generic trailer fodder, but IN SPACE!

...eh. I'll still see the movie eventually anyway, but...eh. This trailer doesn't do anything for me.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Well, the last one shamelessly ripped off WOK, I guess this time we're shamelessly stealing from TSFS.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Welp looks like they certainly went through with trying to make it like the current Marvel movies, perticularly Guardians of the Galaxy.

You know something is wrong here when Into Darkness had a more hype trailer then this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOQMXNwp8wo

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Boy, The Enterprise can't catch a break can't they when it come to the ship getting hit?

Also, is it a trend now to show new trailers in December now? We had TNMT:OotS, X-men: Apoclaypse, Independence Days Resurgance and now this?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Scarim Coral said:
Boy, The Enterprise can't catch a break can't they when it come to the ship getting hit?

Also, is it a trend now to show new trailers in December now? We had TNMT:OotS, X-men: Apoclaypse, Independence Days Resurgance and now this?
Did the latest Batman V Superman Dawn of Justice trailer came out this month?

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I'd be more surprised if the Enterprise DIDN'T get destroyed in a movie.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Samtemdo8 said:
Scarim Coral said:

Did the latest Batman V Superman Dawn of Justice trailer came out this month?
Oh yeah that's true but I kinda mean new movie announcement (but I guess it's still count per say and there#s also The Jungle Book) and I just remember The BFG.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Zontar said:
You know it's a bad sign when a problem a movie has it that it's too much like exactly what it's supposed to be like.
I had the same thought. What's the point in even using an established franchise if you're just going to eject the fan base?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I...I don't...I can't...

Okay, confession time. I'll put my hand on the computer that verifies claims (see TOS) and say that the Star Trek 2009 film was actually my first real introduction to Star Trek (unless you count Sfdebris). Sure, I'd seen some episodes before, but it was the point where I actually got a grip on the franchise. Since then I got into series such as TNG (favorite), TOS (holds up surprisingly well) and Enterprise (bleh), but I honestly enjoy the films. Heck, I like Into Darkness more than the original. The original is a fun adventure/action movie. Into Darkness (controversial opinion time), while it riffs off Wrath of Khan, actually has some thematic resonance (family, accountability, betterment vs. aspiration, etc.). Like I said, controversial, but ST'09 and STID stand as no. 4 and no. 3 on the best to worst list of ST movies.

But this? Even by the standards of these movies (which I can readily admit have a shift towards action,), this is going to another level entirely. We have:

a) Rock music

b) Motor cycles

c) Martial arts

d) Aliens invading Earth. Again.

Speaking in my humble, "dirty newbie opinion," I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that no fan, old or new, would immediately associate those first three points with Star Trek, and while point d has a bit more latitude (heck, see the Motion Picture, The Search for Spock, Nemesis, etc.), it doesn't really scream "frontier." For instance, look at the 09/STID trailers. They have action, but there's a kind of granduar about them as well. This has far more in common with Guardians of the Galaxy. In way, as someone who likes the Abramsverse, I'm kind of hoping to be in a position to say "see? Those first two films weren't nearly as far away from the Star Trek 'essence' when compared to Beyond.

And yet I'll still see it. :(

Edit: Looking at the swarming fighters, anyone else reminded of Ender's Game?

enginieri

Apr 1, 2015
I... Heard... SPOCK...say... "Let's find hope in the impossible" ...a semi-VULCAN, scientist, proud of his vulcan heritage, says THAT? Old spock lifted an eyebrow and looked at you Simon Pegg, lips almost disappearing in disappointment and disapproval

enginieri

Apr 1, 2015
And two-stroke dirt bikes surely are explainable by parallel evolution, right? right? Evolution between Chris Pratt and Chris Pine, I mean

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Hawki said:
I...I don't...I can't...

Okay, confession time. I'll put my hand on the computer that verifies claims (see TOS) and say that the Star Trek 2009 film was actually my first real introduction to Star Trek (unless you count Sfdebris). Sure, I'd seen some episodes before, but it was the point where I actually got a grip on the franchise. Since then I got into series such as TNG (favorite), TOS (holds up surprisingly well) and Enterprise (bleh), but I honestly enjoy the films. Heck, I like Into Darkness more than the original. The original is a fun adventure/action movie. Into Darkness (controversial opinion time), while it riffs off Wrath of Khan, actually has some thematic resonance (family, accountability, betterment vs. aspiration, etc.). Like I said, controversial, but ST'09 and STID stand as no. 4 and no. 3 on the best to worst list of ST movies.

But this? Even by the standards of these movies (which I can readily admit have a shift towards action,), this is going to another level entirely. We have:

a) Rock music

b) Motor cycles

c) Martial arts

d) Aliens invading Earth. Again.

Speaking in my humble, "dirty newbie opinion," I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that no fan, old or new, would immediately associate those first three points with Star Trek, and while point d has a bit more latitude (heck, see the Motion Picture, The Search for Spock, Nemesis, etc.), it doesn't really scream "frontier." For instance, look at the 09/STID trailers. They have action, but there's a kind of granduar about them as well. This has far more in common with Guardians of the Galaxy. In way, as someone who likes the Abramsverse, I'm kind of hoping to be in a position to say "see? Those first two films weren't nearly as far away from the Star Trek 'essence' when compared to Beyond.

And yet I'll still see it. :(

Edit: Looking at the swarming fighters, anyone else reminded of Ender's Game?
You're wrong on the martial arts. That is a staple of fighting between Kirk and the Gorn or Spock and just about anything. Just because they're using more modern trained Hollywood martial arts rather than old 1970's "white" martial arts does not dis-include it from the series. (Google "Star Trek stuntmen" and you'll find tons of 1960's and 1970's photos of stand-ins doing crazy stuff for Shatner).

The motorcycle...eh, I don't mind them adding in vehicles. It's not like you can just go into space and act like a spaceship is the only vehicle people use.

As for the music, it is "classical" considering the set time period.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
I'd be more surprised if the Enterprise DIDN'T get destroyed in a movie.
The Enterprise will be destroyed in this movie, did no one tell you the 'reboot' has clearly decided that it wants to retell the original frnachise movies stories and plot lines but with a made for the lowest intelligence twist.

So the original franchise had The Wrath of Khan as it's second movie, the reboot had Khan appear as the bad guy in it. The third movie in the original franchise, The Search for Spock had the Enterprise destroyed around so safe to say that will happen in this movie as well.

The worst aspect of the entire thing though is just how wank the whole thing looked. No hook, no sneak peaks, nothing, I can't even tell what the story is meant to be about. The Enterprise gets destroyed by someone who doesn't like them for reasons, fuck even the real Kirk managed to complete their five year mission before he got his first ship blown up.

Jodokh

Oct 2, 2012
enginieri said:
And two-stroke dirt bikes surely are explainable by parallel evolution, right? right? Evolution between Chris Pratt and Chris Pine, I mean
Twin tips and no expansion pipe, it no two-stroke

OT: the reboot franchise has been good action but poorly written science fiction, more going to science fantasy spectrum of things.