Pandora's Suitcase is Unleashed in First Fantastic Beasts Trailer

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Pandora's Suitcase is Unleashed in First Fantastic Beasts Trailer

The first trailer for Warner Bros. Harry Potter spinoff is light on plot, heavy on title cards.

If The Escapist forums can be used as any sort of barometer of public opinion, then it would be safe to say that the Harry Potter prequel, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, will be fighting an uphill battle to capture our attention (and money). When the first images from the film were released last month [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/161314-Check-Out-The-First-Images-Released-From-Fantastic-Beasts-and-Where-to-Find-Them], critiques ranged from "This looks too much like Dr. Who" to "It completely misses the tone of the book" and the general consensus seemed generally deflated.

Based on that, I can't see the trailer doing much to sway your thoughts on the Fantastic Beasts, but maybe it's a bit too soon to make a definitive call either way.

In any case, Warner Bros. has released the first trailer for the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, which will be directed by The Deathly Hallows' David Yates and mark the feature film writing debut of J.K. Rowling. It doesn't give much away in regards to the plot, but does feature more title cards than [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAmTho20Wo0], so there's that.

Fantastic Beasts opens in 2D, 3D, and IMAX 3D on November 18, 2016. The official synopsis is below.

"Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" opens in 1926 as Newt Scamander has just completed a global excursion to find and document an extraordinary array of magical creatures. Arriving in New York for a brief stopover, he might have come and gone without incident...were it not for a No-Maj (American for Muggle) named Jacob, a misplaced magical case, and the escape of some of Newt's fantastic beasts, which could spell trouble for both the wizarding and No-Maj worlds.

Source: Collider [http://collider.com/fantastic-beasts-and-where-to-find-them-trailer/]

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
This is a bit weird. You'd have expected something like this from a sequel rather than the actual interpretation of the current book. I'm sure most people were expecting something like a movie form of a journal of an explorer going to various places to catalog the monsters. So it is weird to instead to see them running it as an action flick. Though, not surprising from a money perspective.

I am disappointed though, that they don't realize what a novelty wonder and exploration can be without the need for action.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Will No-Maj be a term thrown around a lot in this film [apparent] series? I hope not... It doesn't exactly have the same charm as Muggle. A highlight of the Potter series was surely hearing every British actor ever saying Muggle in various accents.

I doubt even Jim Broadbent could make 'No-Maj' sound charming...

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
This is ... weird. The premise sounds like they want to make it into an action movie, yet the trailer themselves has basically nothing in it. No humor, no action, nothing interesting. Just "This is our premise, bye". Not a good trailer.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The new trailers keep on rolling out!

OT- Really? So different nation will have different slang for regular humans? Also danm, too bad I'm no longer in the fandom nor did I keep that book, otherwise I would had made reference on the possible creatures that had escape from the breifcase (also I'm too lazy to look it up on HP Wiki).

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I missed the use of No-Maj...and other than Newt being the main character, I don't see what this has to do with Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Perhaps this film should be re-titled to Newt Scamander and the Trunk of Beasts or something...I've said this from the very beginning, this should have been a movie based after March of the Penguins or the 2000's series Walking with Dinosaurs. Have Newt narrate memories that the viewer (or Newt himself) peruse from a pensive (assuming Dumbledore's isn't unique). Have the movie focus on Newt trying to find a specific beast and stumble upon all kinds of other magical animals. If you need an action scene, use the Lethifold...and a Chimera...and a Sphinx (which I don't remember being in Goblet of Fire's film adaptation). Look, there are your focal action bits for the potential trilogy! No, it's not sexy to make something pseudo educational. No it wouldn't have raked in as much money...or maybe it would have! We'll never know that now because that movie doesn't exist in our world.