Star Wars: The Force Awakens Advance Ticket Sales Rise to $100 Million

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Star Wars: The Force Awakens Advance Ticket Sales Rise to $100 Million

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/986/986771.jpg

Because breaking all the records just wasn't enough.

People really want to see <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/star%20wars%20the%20force%20awakens?os=star+wars+the+force+awakens>Star Wars: The Force Awakens. It's not hard to explain why, of course. Between spectacular trailers and a massive merchandise and marketing blitz, Disney and Lucasfilm have made sure that you pretty much can't leave the house without encountering a lightsaber or X-Wing in the process. And now, with reviews for the film hailing it is as the best thing since blue milk, the hype for Force Awakens couldn't be higher.

And as you might expect, this hype has translated into ticket sales. New reports, in fact, have indicated that the film has, in the United States, now earned an astonishing 100 million dollars from advance ticket sales alone. These new figures are double the film's previously reported numbers which, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/161502-Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakened-Has-Sold-More-Advanced-Tickets-Than-Any-Other-Movie#&gid=gallery_5061&pid=1>last month, had already destroyed previous records with a whopping 50 million dollars' worth of tickets sold.

The downside to all of this success, of course, is that if you want to see the movie, getting a ticket at this point could prove difficult. The theater chain AMC sold out more than 1,000 shows <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/149068-Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens-Destroying-Existing-Pre-Release-Ticket-Sales-Records>a mere 12 hours after pre-sales opened. And while many chains have been adding extra showtimes to compensate, there's a fair chance that moviegoers coming late to the party might now have trouble finding a seat for opening night (or the next couple days following).

Source: <a href=http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/star-wars-force-awakens-advance-849156>Hollywood Reporter

Ictarius

Sep 28, 2013
OH GOLLY! I do hope this movie is good...
or... You know.

IT GOING TO BE KILLED OR BE KILLED ALL OVER AGAIN

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Of course advanced tickets are selling, this thing is being advertised on levels unsafe for human consumption. >.<

I'll wait 'til word of mouth gets around before I buy a ticket.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
So far, the movie has a 97% on the tomatometer from the Hollywood premiere. I have my ticket preordered so I will be one with the craziness tomorrow night. The reviews I've watched have been pretty positive, warranting a second viewing so it seems like it'll at least be worth one.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
In a of the spur of the moment, I bought a ticket just last night for the first showing today, expecting them to be sold out. Can't say it was too difficult. Even in the movie theater today it wasn't any more crowed then when I went to see Jurassic World. Maybe even slightly less. Guess this crazy mayhem is more of an American thing.

And yeah, the movie is fine. Nothing fantastic, just regular Star Wars.

Mike000

Nov 22, 2007
$100M in presales...so currently at about 6% of the amount they've claimed it requires to be a "success."

edit: aaand forgot to move the decimal

Metadigital

May 5, 2014
Star Wars and Star Citizen raise the same amount on promises alone? Let's hope some of them come through!

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Is that all? It's going to need 3 times that much to match Jurassic World.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
So reviewers are saying it's good then? Glad to hear that, but reviewers also said Revenge of the Sith was good and I hate that movie the most out of the prequels, so...

But! These trailers do have me excited. I even caught myself squealing a little when I saw a new T.V. spot for the movie the other day. I'm waiting until the middle of next week to see it because I want to actually hear the movie, not the sound of fans cheering every five seconds when something cool happens or a returning character shows up.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
I'm done with movie trilogies, I'll just go to a marathon screening of the new trilogy in five years.

littlebunnyfuufuu

Oct 21, 2015
balladbird said:
Of course advanced tickets are selling, this thing is being advertised on levels unsafe for human consumption. >.<

I'll wait 'til word of mouth gets around before I buy a ticket.
Good for you :) Do your research and be an informed consumer. We've been taught these last couple years both not to trust the developers/producer, or buy media just based on the pedigree of the name.

I dont watch cable tv, or listen to the radio anymore (havent in ten years) because I cant stand it. (My blood pressure goes up, I start twitching/squirming around, and grind my teeth...movie theatres are fun.)
So fortunately I havent seen or heard anything about it.
(The only news/advertisements I get that I care about are from here and kotaku.)
I plan to raise my kids to be add-independent too.

I dont see the point in advertising. If I want something, all I have to do is type it on google and read the product reviews on amazon and whatnot.

Of course the downside is that I dont know when a hurricane or something is coming, but the media hype for those is overblown anyways. "A hurricane is coming? Oh cool, I wonder if this one will actually do something." Then its business as usual.

Im just rambling, dont know what my point is.
(Please note that I am not saying advertisement is bad (just that I cant stand them)and that I endorse said ads here)

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Ukomba said:
Is that all? It's going to need 3 times that much to match Jurassic World.
This is advance sales, not opening weekend sales. Jurassic World was nowhere near this amount for advance ticket sales.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
lol, and in hong kong, who usually go crazy for anything that is popular, the cinemas are not even remotely close of being full. they did offer advanced booking 2 weeks before and you will get a limited edition poster for that but even now, when i check the seating plan, not a single cinema is full. not even the one i will go to in over an hour.
but if its any super hero movie, then its packed pretty quickly. at times i really ask my self what these people here are thinking.
they sell clothes, toys, just every thing possible of star wars and yet no one is really eager to see it. which is maybe a good thing. had no issues to get a good seat when i booked in advance. nice poster too. good quality i might add.