Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak to Release in January 2016

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak to Release in January 2016

"Words fail to describe how exciting it is to be releasing a new Homeworld game."

The "prequel from some of the original creators of Homeworld and Homeworld 2," titled Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, is coming to PC on January 20, 2016. Deserts of Kharak centers on Rachel S'Jet, who leads a team from the Coalition of the Northern Kiithid to investigate an "anomaly" found deep inside enemy territory.

CEO of Blackbird Interactive, Rob Cunningham, said, "All of us at Blackbird are super proud of Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, and we owe it to the outstanding team at Gearbox. Words fail to describe how exciting it is to be releasing a new Homeworld game, deepening the story for both existing fans and a new audience."

"After more than a decade-long hiatus for Homeworld, it is an immense honor in the last year to launch two new entries in the Homeworld franchise: an incredible, critically acclaimed remastering of the original Homeworld games and now the all-new, ground-based, real-time-strategy game called Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak," said Randy Pitchford, president of Gearbox Software. "This revival of Homeworld is possible not merely because of commitment within my studio at Gearbox Software, but is due to Rob and his crew at Blackbird, along with other key members of the original Homeworld team, who have come together to deliver a modern spin on the ground-based roots of the strategy genre with an epic story that takes us back to where the Homeworld saga began."

According to the official website [http://www.desertsofkharak.com/#story], pre-orders will include a free copy of Homeworld Remastered Collection. Already have it? You'll receive 20% off your Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak pre-order.

[gallery=5217]

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Remake of Cataclysm too? I know it has to be done almost from scratch, but I want that more than a prequel.

Plot wise this will be a forgone conclusion, you find the KharToba, fight a war of unification, build the Mothership and then the Taidan come and murder you all.

Ground based Homeworld gameplay certainly looks interesting, will we get to send the KharSelim on it's way though? Good luck fellas, we'll find your corpses in about ten years!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Hm...an odd choice for a Homeworld game, but one that looks like it could work.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Now if they would make a space strategy game with ground battles like these... One can't play Imperium Galactica II forever.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
I like that they are still retaining the "mothership" and fleet format, even though it's ground based... I was nervous it was going to be a base builder which would have taken away from that Homeworld flavor.

I know homeworld is one of the few space RTSs out there and one that many hold dear, I expect some aren't happy with these changes. I'm actually quite interested in how they make ground combat fit the Homeworld style. The trailer shows elevation being used strategically, so I wonder what else they make use of to compensate for the lack of 360 movement. Sand Dunes affecting visual range? Sand Storms?

On aesthetics alone, the trailer has nailed that Homeworld feel. You can tell that former Relic talent is behind this.

One problem... the ?50 price tag. What I see isn't ?50. It's very middle of the road looking by todays standards, though I guess I wasn't expecting much to begin with. I hope they earn that price and it isn't inflated to such under pressure from gearbox.

I might pre-order it. I have faith in the developers at least. Also I get a juicy 20% discount, which sort of offsets my gripe about its pricing.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Ragsnstitches said:
There's also the fact that if you didn't have the remake collection, you would get it. That's a 35 dollar value. So hey, that's neat.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Super excited for this! I'm hoping too that since it's being developed by a different studio that the game won't take some of the shortcuts the Homeworld Remastered Collection did. Still enjoyed the heck out of it, but was definitely disappointed by some of the changes Gearbox made to the original game.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
It sort of came out of nowhere, even though I knew something like this was being worked on.

Anyway, looks great. Not sure I'll get it with the game bonanza that is currently going on. My wallet is not happy.

Briantb

Feb 6, 2014
Fdzzaigl said:
It sort of came out of nowhere, even though I knew something like this was being worked on.

Anyway, looks great. Not sure I'll get it with the game bonanza that is currently going on. My wallet is not happy.
Yeah your not wrong it's been about 2 years since anythings been posted about it. Glad to see its finally coming out.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
ok was expecting a homeworld style space game and got.. a ground based rts.. definitely a surprise and will be interesting to see reviews

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I dunno. When I hear "Homeworld", the first thing I think is "Space". This honestly looks too much like Supreme Commander to me, or basically any modern day RTS.

Time will tell, crossing my fingers it's good.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
Remake of Cataclysm too? I know it has to be done almost from scratch, but I want that more than a prequel.
From what I've heard, the main issue with remaking Cataclysm, is that another studio has the rights to it. It's not so much the "the code is really hard to rework", and more of a "we don't own the property, and are having a hard time legally gaining the rights to it." kind of issue. Though I would LOVE for it to happen. That was my favorite game of all 3.

And while I'm not a big RTS fan for ground based games, I do enjoy them. So this will be a fun new installment in one of my favorite game franchises of all time. As long as they can nail the music and atmosphere I will be totally happy.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Ragsnstitches said:
One problem... the ?50 price tag. What I see isn't ?50. It's very middle of the road looking by todays standards, though I guess I wasn't expecting much to begin with. I hope they earn that price and it isn't inflated to such under pressure from gearbox.
Well I hope for an extensive lore heavy campaign to make it worth that money, maybe for the first time feature both factions and their stories as we learned practically nothing from the Vaygr in the previous games.

But because this is all guesswork until shit gets released I sure as hell am not putting my money down first, no doubt I will have the game at some price point but I need to see those goods first.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Oh cool a new Ground Control!
Didn't know one was in the making.

Admit it: Makes more sense than the Homeworld retcon.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
It would be cool if a fair amount of the world building from the manuals(which are frankly chock full of information about the factions and the world)makes into into the game.

What would not be cool if this were just another Dune game with the homeworld names slapped over the Dune ones.