Hideo Kojima's New Game Only a Timed PS4 Exclusive, Will Come to PC

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Hideo Kojima's New Game Only a Timed PS4 Exclusive, Will Come to PC

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1020/1020219.png
Kojima Productions has confirmed that the upcoming new title from the independent studio will make its way to PC.

In an video [https://i.imgur.com/HClZ2Qw.png], the first game Kojima produces for the company will only be a timed PS4 exclusive, and will eventually make its way to the PC.

"What other platforms will Kojima's first independent title be available on, besides PS4?" asked Medium, to which the representative replied, "The title is planned to become available on PC (after PS4)." When asked how long the exclusivity agreement with PS4 would last, it declined to comment. The representative did however state that the impact Sony will have on the development of the title will be very minimal, and it will simply act as a publisher.

In regards to the title itself, the representative said it would be something "completely new", and will have nothing to do with either the Metal Gear or Silent Hill franchises.

Curiously, the Q&A is no longer available on medium, and when asked why, the reporter claimed that he was asked to take it down [https://twitter.com/PadPoet/status/677158478692130817], though offered no further details on who asked him, and why.

On the surface, this seems to me like a case of Sony trying to sweep the whole "coming out on PC later" statement under the rug, and try to pretend that the game will be PS4 exclusive for as long as it can. This is good news though, because the last few Kojima Productions PC ports have been absolutely spot-on, and it would be a shame to throw that away.

Sources: Twitter [https://medium.com/]

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
I have to say, that is a pretty Bitching Logo. It's like a Cyborg Knight Skull. It's like a logo for Outer heaven.

OT: It's cool that they will come to PC as well, I'd be happy alone if the games came to the PS4. Having said that, the fact Kojima had only JUST been signed on, how long is it going to be before a game is done? With his Track Record it might be well, well past the PS4's lifetime.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I really hope Konami comes to regret firing him. Looking forward to see what he has in store.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Not really surprised by this. Unless Sony makes Kojima a full on first party developer, and I suspect that they want to, he will release games on other platforms.

The Rogue Wolf said:
Quellist said:
I really hope Konami comes to regret firing him.
Any company capable of feeling an iota of regret wouldn't have nuked its bridges the way Konami has.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Whatever it turns out to be, it'll be interesting to see that's for sure.

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
This new franchise better start with the word "Zone" and end with the words "of the Enders 3".

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Lookd like Kojima didnt learn from GZ/V release for PC and is still trying to kill its audience. though perhaps its just Sony pulling its strings trying to drag the whole industry down with them. hey, at least its not Xbox.

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
Spartan448 said:
This new franchise better start with the word "Zone" and end with the words "of the Enders 3".
i think the only ZoE products we're likely to get is a pachinko machine... fuck konami.

HIT THE LEVER!

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
See, this is what I don't understand. If you do an exclusive, make it permanent exclusive. I feel good buying Bloodborne or new Uncharted on PS4. This...
Look, either do full exclusive or stop trying to get the perks exclusives get and go multiplatform.
Main perks of course luxorious funding and optimising game for one specific system. Best games I've played last decade were almost all PlayStation exclusives.

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
I wonder if his new logo is representative of his new game - like how the old logo was for Foxhound.

Mike000

Nov 22, 2007
Lord_Gremlin said:
See, this is what I don't understand. If you do an exclusive, make it permanent exclusive. I feel good buying Bloodborne or new Uncharted on PS4. This...
Look, either do full exclusive or stop trying to get the perks exclusives get and go multiplatform.
Main perks of course luxorious funding and optimising game for one specific system. Best games I've played last decade were almost all PlayStation exclusives.
Eh...there's timed exclusives and then there's "we don't want to farm out our product to some half-assed port team and end up with another Arkham Knight fiasco, so there will be a delay between platform releases."

As long as they're honest about it being multiplatform, and not talking a year+ delay, it's no big deal to me.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Does he own any of the IP's he was involved in? Z.O.E is my main concern, I know he doesn't own Metal Gear sadly.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
chocolate pickles said:
Timed exclusives are bullshit. Shame on you Kojimaa; you used to be cool.
Couldn't agree more. I'm irritated Kojima chose to partner with Sony (they have history, it's not like I don't get it) when we had finally just started getting his games on the Xbox consoles. I don't care which console is superior, this is just another example of Sony buying up as much talent as they can. I mean seriously, don't you have enough of a lead on Xbox?

Totally going to get whatever in the hell this ends up being on PC out of spite, even though I do own a PS4.

Mike000

Nov 22, 2007
Sheo_Dagana said:
chocolate pickles said:
Couldn't agree more. I'm irritated Kojima chose to partner with Sony (they have history, it's not like I don't get it) when we had finally just started getting his games on the Xbox consoles. I don't care which console is superior, this is just another example of Sony buying up as much talent as they can. I mean seriously, don't you have enough of a lead on Xbox?

Totally going to get whatever in the hell this ends up being on PC out of spite, even though I do own a PS4.
Because Microsoft doesn't pull this crap all the time? (See: Tomb Raider. How long did it take for MS to admit it's not an exclusive?)

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Sheo_Dagana said:
chocolate pickles said:

MS kept a good bunch of Japanese RPGs on the Xbox as timed or permanent exclusives to boost their console in Japan. That failed hard. Hell, Sega was so butthurt after the PS2 destroyed their console dreams (along with their own mistakes) They ported their titles on the OG Xbox. All of which sold horribly.

In this case its just the smarter move for him. Kojima stays with a studio setting with funding he's used to (as opposed to seeing another gaming auteur go Kickstarter and fail because of inexperience heading a studio), and PS4 and PC get some good games. MS shot themselves in the foot for showing that Japanese Xbox exclusives don't sell well on their consoles after years of burning money trying to prove otherwise.