Escapism UK Had an Awesome Christmas Meetup

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Escapism UK Had an Awesome Christmas Meetup

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1021/1021855.jpg

Last week, 22 members of the Escapist community gathered for their annual Christmas celebration.

the latest Christmas meetup [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Escapism-UK] in Newcastle.

Escapism UK is "A fantastic opportunity for people from the Escapist to meet up, play a few games, explore new locations, try new activities and make new friends," according to Revelo. "It's a chance to let your hair down, have some fun and hopefully you'll get to know the people behind the usernames. Everyone enjoys themselves immensely and it's become an important part of everyone's year."

22 members from Escapism UK gathered last week for a few days of games, food, games, cats, and more games. There was Cards Against Humanity and Exploding Kittens, Pong and karaoke, bowling, a snowball fight and a cat cafe. A. Cat. Cafe.

Revelo believes that what sets the group apart is how close knit they have become.

"Everyone who comes has a developed a really strong bond over the years; we are always doing things as a group, whether it's gaming online, simply catching up one afternoon to getting everyone together at short notice," Revelo said. "What began as a simple idea to get people together has created close friends who are always there for one another. The same people return for each event, which says a lot about how important Escapism UK has become to everyone involved."

"It shows the strengths of the Escapist community as a group of friendly, everyday people with common interests, and how such friendships have evolved from simply interacting on the forums."

[gallery=5234]

(Photos courtesy of Revelo, Zowie, Trivun, Zero Originallity, thenumberthirteen and aldurvale.)

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
And here I am, sitting in the U.S. Where we're too lame to even do something like this. Glad you had some fun together, British Escapist.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
That's a way up north that. I would have assumed "escapism" is a great excuse to leave the country shortly to sip margaritas on a stormy, rocky island. Missed out on a...hang on...a cat shop?? Well i'll be a feline's fluffer toy, that's a new one!

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
I'm surprised I'm actually in some of those pictures. :O

Though I'm disappointed the one where my finger slipped wasn't used...

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
I've been to many of the Escapisms now, and they're always a blast. They're well worth going to if you can get there. It's not just Brits, either. We've had Americans, Germans, and there's always a Dutch contingent. I think the early stages of planning for the main summer event usually happen around March, so keep a look out if you're interested.

There's always a core of people who already know each other quite well, but I think that newcomers usually fit in pretty quickly. It's kind of a unique environment, and it's cool that people can start fitting into a group where some people have known each other for 8 years within a weekend.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Once we did one of these in Toronto! Only like 5 of us showed up but it was fun enough.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Suck on my big green ball... Mr Garrison!

I would urge anyone having a gander or a shufti at this thread to consider getting involved! Or at least join the group, join our Facebook group and see where it will be next time. You never know, the next one may be near you? (As long as you live near a city on the GB mainland!)

All I have left to say is that for the sake of the family friendliness of this article, I'm glad you can't see my Xmas jumper from the front! :p

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I swear to you guys down there on the Island I will join this from Northern parts of Europe (Finland) at some point!
My life is right now in a state were I could actually try to join in, and not the chaos it has been these past 3 years due to studies and work. I will really really try to join in next time :D

Andalusa

Mad Cat Lady
Feb 25, 2008
I'm gonna go back to Beamish and steal that Authentic 1940s Hat from the Authentic 1940s Farm.
Also I think it might be time to re-dye my hair, it's looking more pink than red...

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
Aerosteam said:
Me too, given that I was only there for roughly one third of the event.

Elementary - Dear Watson said:
Suck on my big green ball... Mr Garrison!
*gasp!* What did you say?!

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Andalusa said:
I'm gonna go back to Beamish and steal that Authentic 1940s Hat from the Authentic 1940s Farm.
Also I think it might be time to re-dye my hair, it's looking more pink than red...
Oh, so the pink was accidental?
Weaver said:
Once we did one of these in Toronto! Only like 5 of us showed up but it was fun enough.
Must be a lot harder to do this sort of thing in such a huge country. The travel time and costs would be way higher than they are in Britain. The original Escapism was in Australia, but I think they stopped after 1 or 2 because travelling across Australia was too arduous for most to bother with.

Andalusa

Mad Cat Lady
Feb 25, 2008
razer17 said:
Andalusa said:
Oh, so the pink was accidental?
Yeah, though it's a question of going back to red or purple this time. Would go teal like I wanted to but stripping the dye from my hair, bleaching it and dying again would damage it so much.
Revelo said:
Aerosteam said:

Though I'm disappointed the one where my finger slipped wasn't used...
Yeah, there is a reason I didn't give Lizzy photos like that, and there were a few :p
*innocent whistling*