Jurassic World Passes on Box Office Record to Force Awakens

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Jurassic World Passes on Box Office Record to Force Awakens

Jurassic World's staff and studio have passed on their box office "record" to The Force Awakens with a classy Tweet.

Earlier, we reported that The Force Awakens had shattered Jurassic World's domestic box office record [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165565-Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens-Brings-In-512-Million], but came just a little shy of breaking it's $524 million international record. However, now the final numbers have come in and The Force Awakens has official brought in $529 million internationally, breaking both of Jurassic World's records. In recognition, Jurassic World producer Frank Marshall took to Twitter with this classy little nod to the new champion of the box office:

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/LeDoctor/status/679006177276006400]

So now it's official: The Force Awakens is the best performing movie, ever, and guess what, it's actually a pretty damn good one too [http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_episode_vii_the_force_awakens/]. I can't wait to see how much the next movie will smash these records by...

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/LeDoctor/status/679006177276006400]

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Too bad it still wont make any money. Hollywood has creative accounting preventing any movie from making money.
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/09/how-hollywood-accounting-can-make-a-450-million-movie-unprofitable/245134/

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
The Enquirer said:
Nice to see some good sportsmanship here. Also I'm enjoying the picture quite a bit.
Seems like giving what was given, since when Jurassic World came out Disney did the same thing with The Avengers. It's mutual PR that's easy to understand in an industry where one studio's bomb damages everyone.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Impressive. Most impressive. I wish more companies/people would have a sense of humor and goodwill like this. That picture is great.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Worgen said:
Too bad it still wont make any money. Hollywood has creative accounting preventing any movie from making money.
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/09/how-hollywood-accounting-can-make-a-450-million-movie-unprofitable/245134/
Which is relevant how? Accounting shenanigans aside, that doesn't mean it didn't make money or it won't look good to anyone wanting to spend money on another one.

Suppose it's lame that they're trying to game the tax laws, but that's a topic relevant for any business and seems like part of a different conversation.

OT: I'm still amazing that Jurassic World broke any records at all. I mean, sure I saw it around realize, but it was largely coincidental. I saw it was out, remembered Jurassic Park stuff fondly enough and figured "why not", why minimal expectations. I did not have, not noticed the general public having any sort of sense of hype around the file leading up to it's release.

I'm not saying it was a bad movie and thus I am surprised, it was alright. I'm just surprised as I'd not noticed anyone caring about it and next thing, breaking records.

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
I still can't believe Jurassic World did as well as it did. I couldn't even sit through the whole film it was so awful... and I like really crappy movies.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Jadak said:
Worgen said:
Which is relevant how? Accounting shenanigans aside, that doesn't mean it didn't make money or it won't look good to anyone wanting to spend money on another one.

Suppose it's lame that they're trying to game the tax laws, but that's a topic relevant for any business and seems like part of a different conversation.

OT: I'm still amazing that Jurassic World broke any records at all. I mean, sure I saw it around realize, but it was largely coincidental. I saw it was out, remembered Jurassic Park stuff fondly enough and figured "why not", why minimal expectations. I did not have, not noticed the general public having any sort of sense of hype around the file leading up to it's release.

I'm not saying it was a bad movie and thus I am surprised, it was alright. I'm just surprised as I'd not noticed anyone caring about it and next thing, breaking records.
Because somewhere out there, someone is getting paid by box office gross and getting screwed... although, actually probably not since this isn't based on a book or something where they had to buy the story from someone else.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I'm tempted to be snarky, in that we have Jurassic World (a.k.a. Jurassic Park 2.0) congratulating The Force Awakens, which was A New Hope 2.0

But in all fairness, kudos to see this kind of sportsmanship.

Then again, I actually enjoyed Jurassic World; not so much TFA.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Worgen said:
Jadak said:
Worgen said:

Because somewhere out there, someone is getting paid by box office gross and getting screwed... although, actually probably not since this isn't based on a book or something where they had to buy the story from someone else.
Yeah, this makes me rather worried, since I'd like to be a published writer. There are just so many ways for them to screw you. The author of Forrest Gump never got a penny, you know. Which is interesting, since they then had the nerve to push him for a sequel film, which he gladly refused.

OT: It's a nice gesture, I suppose. I personally liked Jurassic World more, but I don't think either are particularly note worthy films.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Fox12 said:
Yeah, this makes me rather worried, since I'd like to be a published writer. There are just so many ways for them to screw you. The author of Forrest Gump never got a penny, you know. Which is interesting, since they then had the nerve to push him for a sequel film, which he gladly refused.

OT: It's a nice gesture, I suppose. I personally liked Jurassic World more, but I don't think either are particularly note worthy films.
Authorial compensations are handled way differently. If you get a book published by a major house, odds are it's not going to break even for the publisher- They pay you an advance (I think the average is between 4000-6000 USD for new authors) and you have to "Pay it back" with the commissions you'd receive from your book's sales. You never actually pay anything- they just withhold your commissions until you've sold enough books to pay off your advance. Even if the book never does, you don't really owe them anything. It should be mandated in your contract how much you receive per copy of your book, generally starting at 8% (For paperbacks) and moving upwards to 10% if you've sold more than a shit-ton of copies. Your agent should make sure you aren't screwed by your publishing contract. Generally, they can still screw you with what is counted as "Out of print"- when the rights to the work are differed back to you.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Considering globalization, this record won't stand for very long. Hopefully we can start a tweet chain with the medal being continually passed down.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Fox12 said:
Worgen said:
Jadak said:
Worgen said:

If you ever get lucky enough to have your book auctioned for a movie, always go for net cost of a film, not gross.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
No surprise.

I'm happy about this, given that Jurassic World was (imo) the worst Jurassic Park movie of the bunch. I never felt impressed or frightened by the horrible CGI dino's.

Random Gamer

Sep 8, 2014
Jurassic World totally flew beyond my radar, and I was very surprised when I eventually saw it mentioned as a box office record.
Not surprised at seeing Episode 7 taking the mantle.

As for these nice gestures, that's common practice, and that has been going on for a very long time - and for a time, it was just a contest between old buddies:
http://www.slashfilm.com/jurassic-world-the-avengers-box-office/

Dragonpit

Nov 10, 2010
Worgen said:
Honestly, it'd be deserved in this case. The Force Awakens SUCKS!!! I don't wanna spoil it for others, but I'd sooner see this thing fade into obscurity. I don't have any attachment to the extended universe it retconned, but bring it on back, anyway. It can't have done any worse than this.